12 Screenshots

About This File

The tool removes black bars from the game at 21:9, 32:9, 48:9 and other wide resolutions.

1. Download and unpack the archive using software like 7zip or PeaZip. The password is pcgw
  2. Launch the game
  3. Launch the tool
  4. Press the "Enable" key
  5. While in the game, briefly switch to the Borderless or Fullscreen mode.
  6. Use the tool to manually adjust the UI size at 32:9 and wider resolutions.

Known issues:

• Stretched loading screens and rare FMVs.
  • Minor UI display and alignment issues. Use the UI adjustment keys if necessary.

The window mode switching requirement is also undesirable, hence the version number!
Tested the latest Epic version at 2560x1080, briefly at 3840x1080, 5760x1080, 5120x2160 and 7680x1080 on a single monitor.

You can buy me a coffee here.

What's New in Version 0.9.9   See changelog

Released

Fully automatic aspect ratio adjustment based on the screen size.
New screenshots to showcase the limitless width.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Would it be possible to add an option to set the game directory? As it is right now, the exe can't find the game.

Share this comment

19 hours ago, 1049 said:

Would it be possible to add an option to set the game directory? As it is right now, the exe can't find the game.

You launch the game first, then the tool. It sees the process regardless of the files' location, unless your anti-virus software is getting in the way.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Rose said:

You launch the game first, then the tool. It sees the process regardless of the files' location, unless your anti-virus software is getting in the way.

Ah thanks, turns out the anti-virus was stopping it. Works perfectly now, thanks for the fix!

Share this comment

Just now, Sam said:

Hi,

I downloaded the file and got a trojan WACATAC B L alert from defender, is that normal?

Yes, even an empty trainer built in Cheat Engine will cause that. You can easily test it yourself. It's possible through the File menu of the app.

Share this comment

Made an account just to personally thank you for building this. I was so bummed that this didn't support 21:9, and now it's just so much more immersive. Is this kind of mod hard to build? I'm wondering why the developer couldn't just do it because it clearly works great.

Thank you thank you!! :)

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, angrychauncey said:

Made an account just to personally thank you for building this. I was so bummed that this didn't support 21:9, and now it's just so much more immersive. Is this kind of mod hard to build? I'm wondering why the developer couldn't just do it because it clearly works great.

Thank you thank you!! :)

Thank you for the kind words!
Game developers are like movie directors. Shooting a game scene at 48:9 or even wider to cater to every user would mean making sure that no elements are out of place and nothing pops in. It is a few times more space to cover and think of.
One widely known scene to explain this that I mentioned in an earlier comment is the appearance of the coffee cup in Game of Thrones. Imagine how many more elements they would have to remove or take into consideration if they shot at a wider aspect ratio.
It's possible to hire more people for QA at wider resolutions but I suppose their thinking is that the few percent that are ultrawide and multimonitor users aren't worth the investments and rebuilding some of the assets for.

As for whether it's hard to mod games for ultrawide support - provided you have a good understanding of assembly and software hacking in general, time is the biggest obstacle. Digging through the code, changing the code or injecting new code and testing the game can take many hours and several days of non-stop work.
For Detroit in particular it's taken me about 20 fully dedicated hours on it without any distractions to deliver the latest version. If I were to chat, browse the web, play, cook food or what have you, it would have taken days at best.
I always say that anything is hackable but our time is limited and we have to choose how to use it. It's easy to get burned out. There's a reason assembly is one of the least liked languages among programmers.

Share this comment

Hi,

This is not working at all for me. 3440x1440 or 2560x1080, only the ui stretch down when I press F9. Pillar box remains.

ok, it works. I forgot to do this "While in the game, briefly switch to the Borderless or Fullscreen mode."

Share this comment

1 minute ago, EGOISTE said:

Hi, Rose! After the latest patch, the fix doesn't seem to work properly...

What is the issue? It worked fine for me. Keep in mind that you have to switch to Borderless or Fullscreen through the in-game menu for the latest version to work. Pressing alt+enter or selecting Windowed is no longer an option because of the aspect ratio detection feature I had implemented.

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, Rose said:

What is the issue? It worked fine for me. Keep in mind that you have to switch to Borderless or Fullscreen through the in-game menu for the latest version to work. Pressing alt+enter or selecting Windowed is no longer an option because of the aspect ratio detection feature I had implemented.

I see, thank you for your reply. I didn't notice that. Switching borderless and fullscreen in-game does work properly 🙂 

Share this comment

Hello, 

first i'd like to thank you for the work done, 

I'm experiencing continuous crashes that won't event let me finish the first section of the game, I think is probably due to the latest patch. The 21:9 aspect ratio works, but I think the tool running is what makes the game crash

Share this comment

On 12/24/2019 at 12:45 AM, BeguilingWorm3 said:

Hello, 

first i'd like to thank you for the work done, 

I'm experiencing continuous crashes that won't event let me finish the first section of the game, I think is probably due to the latest patch. The 21:9 aspect ratio works, but I think the tool running is what makes the game crash

Hi. I've played through the game with the tool always on and haven't had a crash apart from one type in the Fugitives chapter also reported by non-ultrawide users and presumably fixed in a game update since then.
There is no way for me to know whether the crashes you had are related to the tool or the game itself, so it is not something I can investigate without specific details and save files that would let me reproduce the issue.

Share this comment

The tool works well in general for me, but I keep having these extreme camera twitches, especially in narrow parts.

It's kinda annoying, especially when you are under time pressure, but can't control the character at all due to the camera glitches.

Does anyone else have that problem? Or did I overlook something?

5760 x 1080, triple monitor with RX 5700 XT here, playing with game pad.

I can take a recording of it, if it helps.

Share this comment

Hi, 

it doesn't work since the last update. It worked nice before. Would it be possible to post an update?

3440x1440 resolution

Share this comment

hello I download this same mod on red dead redemption 2 and it worked very well but one day it did not work anymore I could not open and it is the same with this one I unzip it and it don't want to open i try everything i need help please

Share this comment

29 minutes ago, reznov said:

hello I download this same mod on red dead redemption 2 and it worked very well but one day it did not work anymore I could not open and it is the same with this one I unzip it and it don't want to open i try everything i need help please

Hi. Check the settings of your anti-virus software and make sure the files are excluded from scans. I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to run both.

Share this comment

The fix still works fine here! I am playing as we speak!

however, I noticed one major problem. The Depth of Field (DOF) doesn't scale with the fix. It's like the old 16:9 resolution is used to calculate it on a 32:9 Aspect Ratio.
Has anyone noticed this?

Share this comment

Hi, I did all steps but it doest work. Only UI element scale changing. I though the tool need an update for new game version. According to epic games store my game version is: International_RETAIL_2 0200213_1130.  Is there anyone who can get result in this version? My resolution is 2560x1080 btw

Edit: It's working

Share this comment