10 Screenshots

About This File

The tools for Microsoft Store/Game Pass, Steam, GOG, and potentially other game versions remove black bars from the game at 48:9 and wider, also correcting the vertical field of view at 21:9 and wider to match that of 16:9.

1. Unpack the archives with software like 7zip or PeaZip using the password pcgw
  2. Launch the game and set Panini Projection to off in Advanced Display settings.
  3. Launch the trainer and press the button as instructed.

All trainers containing CE components may trigger some anti-virus software.

You can buy me a coffee or become a patron.

image.png.ed0ad78d9511a3c47f1a56044f8329a0.png

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

• Improved split-screen FOV by removing the now obsolete code and only remaining injection point of Helifax's solution.
  • New button to disable FOV increase at split-screen interaction scenes (hours of work following a 48:9 user request).
  • Changed the primary button to make room for the above.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, dochainsaw@free.fr said:

Bon travail

Mais le problème des icônes d'interactions est super gênant. 

Dommage que les dev n'ont pas prévu les UW.

++

Thanks. Based on my limited testing, the icons are more or less where they should be at 21:9 with this fix compared to the earlier manual fix. It's a real problem at 32:9 and wider. What is your aspect ratio?

Share this comment

Amazing piece of work just a day after release. Thanks so much!
Icons are slightly out with my resolution of 3840x1600 24:10 but it’s so much better than going back to the dark days of 16:9.

Share this comment

Looks great on 5160x1440, but unfortunately, the game is not playable - some objects, needed for progress are not touchable (no button prompt). For example, the bathroom door, in the room where you find a razor, needed to cut through skin doors in the spirit world. Also, some collectibles can't be collected.
Quit the game, went back to a default resolution, and was able to progress.
Hopefully, will be fixed in the next version of the trainer. Really want to play on super-ultrawide...

Share this comment

4 hours ago, gemanoneko said:

Looks great on 5160x1440, but unfortunately, the game is not playable - some objects, needed for progress are not touchable (no button prompt). For example, the bathroom door, in the room where you find a razor, needed to cut through skin doors in the spirit world. Also, some collectibles can't be collected.
Hopefully, will be fixed in the next version of the trainer. Really want to play on super-ultrawide...

I have got no problem at all on 2560 1080.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, gemanoneko said:

Hi. This is covered by my description of softlocks at 32:9. As such, the trainer is not to be used at 32:9 at all unless you want to play 21:9 windowed or constantly toggle on and off. I know it can be disappointing and it is to me as well, as I always try to cover the most common wide aspect ratios or ideally even have the tools adapt to any screen size, as it was with this one and evidenced by the 24:10 report. Sadly, some elements just get cropped out or become inaccessible past a certain point and there is currently no workaround apart from modifying the 3B 8E E3 3F bytes as seen in the post on the WSGF subreddit, although then the interaction icons will still be offset depending on the FOV. Make sure not to touch the 39 8E E3 3F bytes though or you will end up experiencing the same issues as with mine.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Rose said:

Hi. This is covered by my description of softlocks at 32:9. As such, the trainer is not to be used at 32:9 at all unless you want to play 21:9 windowed or constantly toggle on and off. I know it can be disappointing and it is to me as well, as I always try to cover the most common wide aspect ratios or ideally even have the tools adapt to any screen size, as it was with this one and evidenced by the 24:10 report. Sadly, some elements just get cropped out or become inaccessible past a certain point and there is currently no workaround apart from modifying the 3B 8E E3 3F bytes as seen in the post on the WSGF subreddit, although then the interaction icons will still be offset depending on the FOV. Make sure not to touch the 39 8E E3 3F bytes though or you will end up experiencing the same issues as with mine.

Interesting.
I didn't try to replace 39 8E E3 3F.
I did replace 3B 8E E3 3F and had same issues as in yours trainer.

Are you sure that 3B 8E E3 3F should be replaced and not 39 8E E3 3F?

I'll try to play with it.

Share this comment

4 minutes ago, gemanoneko said:

Interesting.
I didn't try to replace 39 8E E3 3F.
I did replace 3B 8E E3 3F and had same issues as in yours trainer.

Are you sure that 3B 8E E3 3F should be replaced and not 39 8E E3 3F?

I'll try to play with it.

I'm sure about it, yes. Putting my trainer aside, replacing 3B 8E E3 3F and increasing the FOV should result in severe offsets to the interaction icons, but none should be out of reach. Replacing 39 8E E3 3F with your aspect ratio bytes will cause the first room table icon and the main red room interaction buttons to disappear. Replacing 39 8E E3 3F with a lower aspect ratio value may be of some use but then the split screen scenes will be limited in width.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Rose said:

I'm sure about it, yes. Putting my trainer aside, replacing 3B 8E E3 3F and increasing the FOV should result in severe offsets to the interaction icons, but none should be out of reach. Replacing 39 8E E3 3F with your aspect ratio bytes will cause the first room table icon and the main red room interaction buttons to disappear. Replacing 39 8E E3 3F with a lower aspect ratio value may be of some use but then the split screen scenes will be limited in width.

You doing great enough, not just this game I remember you. Please tell in brief how you do it so I can know why it is so hard for developers to admit they were lazy or don't care.

Share this comment

14 minutes ago, gr4j0m3r said:

You doing great enough, not just this game I remember you. Please tell in brief how you do it so I can know why it is so hard for developers to admit they were lazy or don't care.

Look up reverse engineering software on YouTube to get started 😁 Contrary to the popular belief, it usually takes many hours of disassembling, and few games are properly fixed by searching for the well-known aspect ratio or Unreal Engine 4 FOV-related bytes. If they are, the solutions are usually available on day one because every advanced ultrawide user knows them by now.

From the developer standpoint, it's easier than it is from mine because they already have all their functions defined and documented as classes and such, while to me every game is a black box with many lines of pure assembly code to dig through. String references can be of value in 1% of the cases but the rest is discovery, trial and error.

I actually think the community can be too harsh on the developers, because although on their end enabling ultrawide may be as simple as two checkboxes and a number of FOV values to convert from horizontal to vertical, expanding the field of view means there is a lot more space to fill with assets, as previously explained by me here. Shooting a film, two constructed walls in a warehouse can be enough to create the illusion of being inside a house with four walls and a roof. Imagine expanding the field of view to the point of the warehouse being visible and zooming out for the viewer to see the construction. It's usually not as bad in games but even a small out-of-place item or a pop-in can be seen as a significant problem capable of ruining the immersion and causing outrage. As ultrawide users, we are used to those and we can tolerate them and often forgive them when using an unofficial mod. Moreover, as a modder I have no responsibility if something goes horribly wrong, as my livelihood does not depend on it.

With that said, I think it's fine to put some pressure on developers and show them that there is a demand for wider resolutions. No posts about it would never push them to improve or care, and there are quite a few cases of developers - like those of Terminator: Resistance or Disco Elysium - listening and shipping ultrawide support in post-release updates.

Share this comment

Thanks Rose! You rock! (as always:) For those playing the Game Pass version at 32:9. The Trainer does work with that version and looks great. What I have been doing is going around looking/interacting with things using the trainer but when I get to a part I can't get through due to scaling issues, push F8 and the game goes back to 16:9 and you can proceed. Get to the next part and F8 again to extend to super ultrawide. It's not optimum, but way better IMO of playing the entire game with black bars all around. 

Share this comment

1 hour ago, cobrashey said:

Thanks Rose! You rock! (as always:) For those playing the Game Pass version at 32:9. The Trainer does work with that version and looks great. What I have been doing is going around looking/interacting with things using the trainer but when I get to a part I can't get through due to scaling issues, push F8 and the game goes back to 16:9 and you can proceed. Get to the next part and F8 again to extend to super ultrawide. It's not optimum, but way better IMO of playing the entire game with black bars all around. 

The game looks much better on ultra-widescreen. Glad I found this early. 

Share this comment

4 hours ago, cobrashey said:

About "just pressing F8" - not true for me (5120*1440).
When I press F8, the game shows the same amount of content, but in 16:9. Everything being streched out really hard, but keeping the broken interactin points.

Restart and running the game without trainer didn't help. So I had to manually switch back to backed up .exe file.
However, it's worth it (for me) - the game looks and plays much, much better in ultrawide.
I'm near the end of the game. So far I encountered 1 non-interactable point, needed for progress and quite a few collectibles, that can't be collected (I don't care about them though). But, I played through whole Childeater segment in 16:9. Maybe there are some more broken interaction points there.

Share this comment

8 minutes ago, gemanoneko said:

Restart and running the game without trainer didn't help.

That would suggest the issue stems from modifications made to the file by you though, not the trainer. It makes no changes to the game files and restores the original code in the memory when you press F8 again. For some display modes or other variables, it may also require pressing alt+enter twice to have the game read from its original code again.

Share this comment

Awesome job so far!
I am trying to fix the button prompts for 32:9, but I am having some weird issues and I would like to know better what is your trainer injecting exactly.
For example, if I load the game and launch the trainer, F8 the aspect ratio will be incorrect, but the icons will be visible. The moment I alt+enter to correct the AR, the AR is now correct but the buttons are wrong. This tells me that the trainer is correcting an AR that shouldn't be corrected.
Could you please tell me what is the trainer actually doing? :) It would help me to find out where the issue exists :)

Cheers!

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, Helifax@WSGF said:

Awesome job so far!
I am trying to fix the button prompts for 32:9, but I am having some weird issues and I would like to know better what is your trainer injecting exactly.
For example, if I load the game and launch the trainer, F8 the aspect ratio will be incorrect, but the icons will be visible. The moment I alt+enter to correct the AR, the AR is now correct but the buttons are wrong. This tells me that the trainer is correcting an AR that shouldn't be corrected.
Could you please tell me what is the trainer actually doing? 🙂 It would help me to find out where the issue exists 🙂

Cheers!

Thanks. For the prompts it's just the basic change of 39 8E E3 3F. I explained the behavior in a bit more detail in this post.

Share this comment

12 minutes ago, Rose said:

Thanks. For the prompts it's just the basic change of 39 8E E3 3F. I explained the behavior in a bit more detail in this post.

Yes, I read that, but that doesn't changes the FOV it seems. I think the trainer does a lot of things better than the hexedit, however it seems the buttons are always broken. I did play with the standards 16/9 aspect ratio, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue with the UI when used with the trainer. Hence my question 😄

Share this comment

55 minutes ago, Helifax@WSGF said:

Is the trainer manually adjusting the FOV? 

It's automated and calculated based on the resolution but it plays no role in the interaction icons correction. For the sake of looking at the offsets, it is as good as manual FOV adjustment and aspect ratio changes through the bytes of the WSGF post. Using the UE4 unlocker to hotsample is another valid option.

Share this comment

I managed to make the button prompts almost100% aligned (they still wobble a bit, but they are more of less where they should be) for the single camera mode.
I am having difficulty with the dual camera mode, this is why I asked 🙂 This is when using the trainer 🙂 

Thanks!

Share this comment