About This File
High Detail Mod for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II & Mysteries of the Sith
This mod disables unsightly mipmapping and LOD (levels of detail) in all levels of each game. That's when textures and models are blurry and blocky, respectively, at a distance and "pop" to higher quality versions as you get near. That was originally done to achieve good performance on 1997 hardware, but is unnecessary today.
This doesn't add or replace anything in the game. It simply makes the game use the highest quality textures and models at all times and never use the lower quality ones, no matter how far away objects are. Besides giving better detail, that also means no more distracting transitions when the game switches between qualities.
Key differences from the original LOD mod:
- Works with existing save games. If you're partway through the game, you can install this and continue playing. If you've already applied the original LOD mod, though, see the notes below.
- Works with non-English installations and language packs. It won't force all of your level loading screens to be in English.
- Also patches the multiplayer levels for both games.
- Also includes patched versions of the secret/bonus level for Mysteries of the Sith, both the original from LucasArts and Marc Sauve's "Special Edition" version (in which he famously replaced the boss with Darth Vader). Play them in MotS by selecting New Game.
To install: Either use the installer (recommended) or manually copy the correct folder contents to your game folder.
To uninstall: If you created an uninstaller during installation, use Windows' Apps/Programs and Features. If you didn't, delete just the folders from your game's \Episode folder (leaving the .GOB/GOO files, which are your original files).
- If you're using the original LOD mod, you'll have to start a new game again. That's because that mod isn't compatible with regular save games, so nothing that is (including this mod) is compatible with its save games. You'd have the same problem if you tried to load them in a fresh, unmodded installation of the game. There's not really any reason to replace that mod with this one, so, if you're in the middle of a play-through, you're better off de-selecting the singleplayer levels and installing only the multiplayer and/or bonus levels.
- If you're using the Jedi Knight Enhanced or Jedi Knight Retexture Pack mods, this mod will still be beneficial. That's because those mods don't replace every model and texture (respectively) in the game, so this mod will still remove blurriness and blockiness from the ones that weren't replaced.
What's New in Version 1.2 See changelog
- Replaced Readme.txt with a Readme.html that allows switching between all supported languages.