8 Screenshots

About This File

The small patcher and trainer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance remove black bars appearing in the game at 21:9 and wider resolutions.

For the Microsoft Store version,

1. Download and unpack the applicable archive using the password pcgw
  2. Launch the game, followed by the tool.
  3. Press the button as shown to toggle the black bars off and on.

For Steam,

1. Unpack the Shipping exe found in /CotH/Binaries/Win64/ with Steamless (like this).
  2. Download the applicable archive from here and patch the unpacked file renamed to match the original.

Simply patching should work for any other versions.

Tested the latest Game Pass version at 2560x1080 and briefly at 5760x1080.

You can buy me a coffee or become a patron.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Don't know about gamepass version, but steam one with use of "other stores" patcher - doesn't work. Patcher just give an error that exe "wasn't patched".

Some help will be appreciated, because one of less games which looks awful small with black borders. Or maybe if someone has patched their exe file, if that only my problem, can you post it for me?

Share this comment

Hi there,

Same as datevolf, trying to use the "other versions" (for steam), but it doesn't seem to work.. just getting this:

---------------------------

Process succeeded

DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe - File was NOT patched!

[0 bytes written]

OK

Share this comment

1 hour ago, DarXyde said:

Hi there,

Same as datevolf, trying to use the "other versions" (for steam), but it doesn't seem to work.. just getting this:

See if unpacking the file with Steamless helps. Adapt the first steps of this guide.

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, dantevolf said:

Yep, that worked. Thank you very much

Good to know! Updated the instructions accordingly.

Share this comment

When Downloading this file Windows Defender is reporting detecting a virus.  Specifically it says:  Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, odinson_92 said:

When Downloading this file Windows Defender is reporting detecting a virus.  Specifically it says:  Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I get the same thing on trying to get the microsoft store version. It didnt tell me which trojan but I tried two browsers and both blocked them due to finding a virus. I was really hoping for this fix to work. dang

Share this comment

Can't seem to get it working 😞
Steam version, so downloaded the "other stores".exe and used Steamless.v3.0.0.11. 

Steamless targeted C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkAlliance\WindowsNoEditor\CotH\Binaries\Win64\DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe and (in theory) runs successfully.  It goes down and unpacks blah blah using variant 3.1..-> unpacked file saved to disk, saved as ^.  successfully unpacked (so it says).

Next used the Dark alliance - other stores.exe, targeted the same file as above.  Patching progress bar goes across, then pop up says:   Process succeeded,  <file name>   File was NOT patched! 0 bytes written.  Tested in game and as it says, it didn't do anything...

Share this comment

1 minute ago, Sera said:

Can't seem to get it working 😞
Steam version, so downloaded the "other stores".exe and used Steamless.v3.0.0.11. 

Steamless targeted C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkAlliance\WindowsNoEditor\CotH\Binaries\Win64\DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe and (in theory) runs successfully.  It goes down and unpacks blah blah using variant 3.1..-> unpacked file saved to disk, saved as ^.  successfully unpacked (so it says).

Next used the Dark alliance - other stores.exe, targeted the same file as above.  Patching progress bar goes across, then pop up says:   Process succeeded,  <file name>   File was NOT patched! 0 bytes written.

Target the unpacked file with my patcher. You can get rid of the original right after unpacking and then obtain it from Steam if you ever need to restore it.

Share this comment

So simple, I didn't realize Steamless was making new files in the directory.  Although the patcher didn't see multiple .exe's in the browse window; i.e. it couldn't tell the difference between DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe and DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe.patched.exe (multiple periods confused it and it only showed the one file to choose). Once I explored to the directory it was all really obvious.

Share this comment

39 minutes ago, Sera said:

So simple, I didn't realize Steamless was making new files in the directory.  Although the patcher didn't see multiple .exe's in the browse window; i.e. it couldn't tell the difference between DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe and DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe.patched.exe (multiple periods confused it and it only showed the one file to choose). Once I explored to the directory it was all really obvious.

I slightly updated the instructions for clarity on this.

Share this comment

Thanks Rose, the patcher for the steam version worked as intended.

Well for the windows defender alert, I assume its just a false positive. Windows seems to be doing it a lot lately with p2p applications recently. 

Did a scan with a few av's and the system seems to be running ok 👍.

Thank you again for the great work. Its just another lazy implementation by the developers that hopefully can be patched in the future.

Share this comment

13 hours ago, Rose said:

I slightly updated the instructions for clarity on this.

Seconded unpacked shipping executable updated successfully for Steam version. Launched and now have selected resolutions very nice. Thanks Rose!

Share this comment

hi,

im confused. The unpacked "patch" for he microsoft version "dissapear" after using it? I have to unzip again after running the game again. On firt try worked well and with no problems. but.... its not there anymore on 2nd start

Share this comment

so renaming the packaged file and then renaming the unpacked file to the packaged file name got the patcher to see the unpacked exe.

it patched fine, however upon executing the new patched exe i get "Failed to open descriptor file ../../../common/CotH.uproject"  ??

Share this comment

I followed all the steps and still got:

"Process succeeded,  <file name>   File was NOT patched! 0 bytes written"

I unpacked the game exe using Steamless, renamed it, deleted the original and patched the unpacked one. Still nothing...

Any ideas?

Share this comment

Just now, ultrawidebg said:

I followed all the steps and still got:

"Process succeeded,  <file name>   File was NOT patched! 0 bytes written"

I unpacked the game exe using Steamless, renamed it, deleted the original and patched the unpacked one. Still nothing...

Any ideas?

I'd try again and triple check that you're patching the unpacked file. If that still fails, verify the files and send me the original Shipping exe if you'd like me to try on my end.

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, Rose said:

I'd try again and triple check that you're patching the unpacked file. If that still fails, verify the files and send me the original Shipping exe if you'd like me to try on my end.

Wow, that was fast. I tried again and made sure to delete the original exe before I renamed the unpacked one. I still got the same popup. Find the attached unpacked, renamed file. I think that is what you are asking me for?

DarkAlliance-Win64-Shipping.exe

Share this comment

Haha. I'm such an idiot! 

I was looking to patch the rerelease of the PS2 Dark alliance, not the new game. 

Literally screenshots of the new game at the top of this page.

What a moron... 

Please, delete all evidence of my stupidity.

Share this comment