2 Screenshots

About This File

Unpack the archive with software like 7zip, then patch the main game exe with the tool.

This will remove the letterboxing (black bars) from the game, resulting in more vertical FOV than ever before. There will be some vertical stretching of the menu and subtitles.

If you have the game on Steam, you will first need to adapt and follow the first steps of my DQB2 guide in order to apply the patcher. Such are the rules!

Support with a donation.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you sooo much, you just saved my purchase right there!

The experience is tons better now, I could not thank you enough.

My best wishes, Rose!

Share this comment

Hi Rose ,

Ive tried downloading this on 2 Pcs and it says the password is wrong.

Can not open encrypted archive.wrong password?

Headers error.

Thats the mesage I get ! please help

Share this comment

28 minutes ago, Edelgard2105 said:

Hi Rose ,

Ive tried downloading this on 2 Pcs and it says the password is wrong.

Can not open encrypted archive.wrong password?

Headers error.

Thats the mesage I get ! please help

It still unpacks without issues on my end. What did you use to attempt to unpack it? Try another app, such as WinRar, 7zip or PeaZip.

Share this comment

Just now, Xted said:

Virustotal writes that 8 viruses were found in BeyondLetterbox.exe 😥

That is false flagging but it is normal for patchers, trainers made in Cheat Engine and other fixes. It is one of the reasons WSGF had to be retired and move to reddit.

The latest PCGamingWiki policy on files also acknowledges this. Still, keep scanning files in VirusTotal, look at the details or even do your own sandbox testing for malicious activity when you think a file is suspicious and potentially harmful.

The best I can do is tell you that it's not when it comes from me.

Share this comment

6 minutes ago, Rose said:

That is false flagging but it is normal for patchers, trainers made in Cheat Engine and other fixes. It is one of the reasons WSGF had to be retired and move to reddit.

Thank you for clarifying this matter.

Share this comment

Ok,i got it too work when i put the pw in it shows that you put it as .7z at the end,i removed this and it worked.maybe clear this up for others as the game looks beautiful now,although alot more demanding.

Thanks for replying Rose and doing this for us pc crowd who want a great experience 

Share this comment

So I just tried this mod on the demo and it worked but it seems that the subtitles now cut off sceeen if the text is longer than two lines, anyway to fix that? Resolution I'm on is 1920x1080

Share this comment

Why even bother with a password?

It adds a useless layer of complexity, that some people have experienced issues with, and yet it has absolutely no benefit.

If I wanted to reupload your tool on another site (I don't), I'd just repack it anyway.

Removing the password requirement is the biggest reason I can see for actually providing another download.

Share this comment

8 hours ago, Uhuru N'Uru said:

Why even bother with a password?

It adds a useless layer of complexity, that some people have experienced issues with, and yet it has absolutely no benefit.

If I wanted to reupload your tool on another site (I don't), I'd just repack it anyway.

Removing the password requirement is the biggest reason I can see for actually providing another download.

I agree but there's no other simple way around the problem.

Share this comment

OK it's PCGW policy, but it's overkill, and a totally useless policy.

You don't protect a damn thing by using the same password, for every archive.

Also I've never seen any archive get flagged like that, only exes, etc, uploaded without archiving.

That's also what the WSGF issue was about, raw directly executable files, not archived ones.

This policy should be changed to simply requiring archives, which fulfils the required false positive avoidance, and as a secondary benefit, reduces the download size, and thus entire hosting requirements for the site.

Archives make sense, passwords don't, but I now understand it's not your choice.

Share this comment

Thanks for your answer.
Headache for me : my whole game directory was on read-only protection !

The patch works fine 🙂 despite the fact 2 lines-subtitles are now out of screen !

Share this comment

i got the game on Steam, patched the main exe as directed, only the game crashes when attempting to launch now

the main exe is named BeyondTwoSouls_Steam.exe  is it because its the Steam version it's not working or is it something else.  I changed my folder from Read Only as another poster mentioned

Share this comment

22 minutes ago, cereal_keller@yahoo.com said:

i got the game on Steam, patched the main exe as directed, only the game crashes when attempting to launch now

the main exe is named BeyondTwoSouls_Steam.exe  is it because its the Steam version it's not working or is it something else.  I changed my folder from Read Only as another poster mentioned

It's most likely a Steamstub issue. Adapt and follow the first steps of my DQB guide to work around it. Sadly, I'm not allowed to go into detail about Steamstub unpacking on PCGW.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Rose said:

It's most likely a Steamstub issue. Adapt and follow the first steps of my DQB guide to work around it. Sadly, I'm not allowed to go into detail about Steamstub unpacking on PCGW.

yes, that worked.  Although, I have to launch the game using the .exe because Steam will automatically replace it if I try running it through the Steam UI

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, cereal_keller@yahoo.com said:

yes, that worked.  Although, I have to launch the game using the .exe because Steam will automatically replace it if I try running it through the Steam UI

I don't think that is how Steam updates work. There are a lot of cutscene skip solutions on the wiki that involve renaming or removing files. Unless verified or updated, you can use a modified exe to replace the old - just make sure it fully matches the old name.

Share this comment

I know this isn't totally related to the letterbox remover however I wonder if you can help.

I am running the latest Epic version and the letterbox remover works fine, however if I try to uncap the FPS using the patcher from the wiki it reverts the letterboxing, trying to hex edit manually the search strings aren't found.  Any suggestions?

Share this comment

Just now, weirdsciencex said:

I know this isn't totally related to the letterbox remover however I wonder if you can help.

I am running the latest Epic version and the letterbox remover works fine, however if I try to uncap the FPS using the patcher from the wiki it reverts the letterboxing, trying to hex edit manually the search strings aren't found.  Any suggestions?

Look for the bytes as hex values, not text strings. I updated the instructions in the article to reflect this.
I have no idea why the FPS patcher would affect the letterboxing though. It's not like it contains any of the game code to put it back in.

Share this comment

25 minutes ago, Rose said:

Look for the bytes as hex values, not text strings. I updated the instructions in the article to reflect this.
I have no idea why the FPS patcher would affect the letterboxing though. It's not like it contains any of the game code to put it back in.

I did that to no avail, I even restored it to its default exe.  I did then manage to find and replace the two hex and then apply the letterboxing but the framerate is still locked to 60, am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: I even tried just the fps patcher, it says it worked but the FPS was still on 60

Tj96bGmKry.jpg

Share this comment

1 hour ago, weirdsciencex said:

I did that to no avail, I even restored it to its default exe.  I did then manage to find and replace the two hex and then apply the letterboxing but the framerate is still locked to 60, am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: I even tried just the fps patcher, it says it worked but the FPS was still on 60

It's the always-on vsync, as described in the article. Here are the solutions the article also links to.

Share this comment

20 hours ago, Rose said:

I don't think that is how Steam updates work. There are a lot of cutscene skip solutions on the wiki that involve renaming or removing files. Unless verified or updated, you can use a modified exe to replace the old - just make sure it fully matches the old name.

I did do that, but the first time I tried launching the game it deleted it and created a new one, I've never seen that happen before and I watched the file literally disappear and a new one pop up in it's place while Steam showed downloading 1 file for this game.  It's not a big deal, I just pinned it to my start menu and I'll launch it from there.  I mean, I'll only  be playing  this game for a few days max then I'll finish it and remove it from my storage.

Share this comment

Hello I'm new to this whole thing and created my account just to comment on this.

Whenever i use the Letterbox Remover the subtitles will sometimes only be half visible like It's sunk down at the bottom of my screen.

I really hope someone can help me with this problem.

PS I commented this once but i think i accidentally did it as a reply to someone 😛

Share this comment