The Ascent ultrawide & superwide fix, FOV changer

9 Screenshots

About This File

The tool adjusts the field of view of the game to address the decrease affecting 21:9 and wider resolutions, vertically matching each scene to that of 16:9. It also removes the black bars from the menu screens and the cutscenes (prominent at 32:9 and wider). Lastly, it allows to manually modify the field of view in real time.

1. Download the archive and unpack it using the password pcgw
  2. Launch the game, followed by the tool.
  3. Press the keys as instructed to remove the black bars, fix the FOV, or adjust it in real time.

All trainers containing CE components may trigger some anti-virus software.

Inspired in part by killer-m's work.

Tested the latest Game Pass version at 2560x1080 and briefly at 3840x1080.

You can buy me a coffee or become a patron.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I can't seem to get this to work. Using Ody G9 5120x1440, borderless. Ran game, then ran tool. But no response from hitting the hotkeys. 
Anti virus is off and also tried running as admin. Also tried DX11 and 12

Share this comment

Just now, nver said:

I can't seem to get this to work. Using Ody G9 5120x1440, borderless. Ran game, then ran tool. But no response from hitting the hotkeys. 
Anti virus is off and also tried running as admin. 

Try to also add the trainer to the list of the AV exclusions and make sure that your physical keys are functional. If not, use the On-Screen Keyboard easily found via Windows Search. Then start with the F9 button (current version). If you have the game on Steam, you could also share the Shipping exe for me to check, though I see reports of Steam users running this without issues, so I doubt it's the culprit.

Share this comment

12 minutes ago, Rose said:

Try to also add the trainer to the list of the AV exclusions and make sure that your physical keys are functional. If not, use the On-Screen Keyboard easily found via Windows Search. Then start with the F9 button (current version). If you have the game on Steam, you could also share the Shipping exe for me to check, though I see reports of Steam users running this without issues, so I doubt it's the culprit.

Keys are work'n, tested on keyboard and onscreen board. Only AV is windows defender and it's completely off. Is there any enviorments that need installed?
Also restarted pc a couple times. Does it matter if I'm using a 6900x?

TheAscent.exe

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, nver said:

Keys are work'n, tested on keyboard and onscreen board. Only AV is windows defender and it's completely off. Is there any enviorments that need installed?
Also restarted pc a couple times. Does it matter if I'm using a 6900x?

No, if the trainer launches and the game is already running, it should work. I'm looking for the other exe found deeper in the game folders though.

Share this comment

When I press F3 or 4 I see the wording on the tool highlight green. When I hit F9 it does not. Also the Current field of view is blank. When I first start it it has something written there for a split second before it dispears. Also turned off UAC, updated drivers and restarted again. 

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, nver said:

When I press F3 or 4 I see the wording on the tool highlight green. When I hit F9 it does not. Also the Current field of view is blank. When I first start it it has something written there for a split second before it dispears. Also turned off UAC, updated drivers and restarted again. 

The F3 and F4 buttons are not functional unless F9 is pressed even if the text lights up. Similarly, there will be no current FOV shown until the F9 function is enabled. Are you sure there is nothing wrong specifically with the physical F9 button? Sadly, your uploaded exe shows up as unavailable even though it's the right one.

Share this comment

2 minutes ago, Rose said:

The F3 and F4 buttons are not functional unless F9 is pressed even if the text lights up. Similarly, there will be no current FOV shown until the F9 function is enabled. Are you sure there is nothing wrong specifically with the physical F9 button? Sadly, your uploaded exe shows up as unavailable even though it's the right one.

it wont let me upload just the exe so i put it in a rar here. I hit F9 on this keyboard test and it works.. I also tested F9 in outlook to send/recieve mail and it worked there too. 

image0.jpg

New WinRAR archive.rar

Share this comment

1 minute ago, nver said:

it wont let me upload just the exe so i put it in a rar here. I hit F9 on this keyboard test and it works.. I also tested F9 in outlook to send/recieve mail and it worked there too.

Thanks for sharing the file. The trainer is compatible with this exe, so it appears to be something interfering on your end. I'm not sure what it could be.

Share this comment

I had a little trouble getting it to run - Windows was trying to block it without any warnings. Once I figured it, it worked flawlessly - but I have to press F9 before changing the fov, or it won't work.

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, xamantu said:

I had a little trouble getting it to run - Windows was trying to block it without any warnings. Once I figured it, it worked flawlessly - but I have to press F9 before changing the fov, or it won't work.

did you just add file as exeception or turn off defender?

1 hour ago, Rose said:

Thanks for sharing the file. The trainer is compatible with this exe, so it appears to be something interfering on your end. I'm not sure what it could be.

Can I just use cheat engine to doit? if so what do I search if you dont mind me asking. 

Share this comment

11 minutes ago, nver said:

did you just add file as exeception or turn off defender?

It recognized the file as a potential threat. I chose the action "allow the file" or something like that on Windows Security, and the trainer opened without issues.

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, xamantu said:

It recognized the file as a potential threat. I chose the action "allow the file" or something like that on Windows Security, and the trainer opened without issues.

oh, i dont have any prob opening the trainer. It just wont do anything after its open 😞 

Share this comment

For me the exe doesn't start. My game is on xbgp so I tried to run the microsoft store distribution. 

[Window Title] C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\The Ascent Ultrawide - Microsoft Store\The Ascent Ultrawide - Microsoft Store.exe [Content] Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. [OK]

Any ideas? 

Share this comment

I'm sorry guys but my anti vir went ape Sh*t. Kaspersky deleted the file as soon as I tried to start it claiming name of the ransomware trojan in it.
I've seen ant vir software having doubts before but never to that extent. PC went through purge cycle and 2 restarts after I tried to start this app.

This does not look to me as your normal...windows or anti vir warning you get sometimes when trying to run weird app.

Share this comment

35 minutes ago, puggers said:

For me the exe doesn't start. My game is on xbgp so I tried to run the microsoft store distribution. 

[Window Title] C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\The Ascent Ultrawide - Microsoft Store\The Ascent Ultrawide - Microsoft Store.exe [Content] Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. [OK]

Any ideas? 

It means your AV is blocking the file.  If you use Windows Security you should see a yellow triangle on it in the tray.  Open it up, click on App & Browser control, then click on the warning message and allow the program to run.

Share this comment

It works fine for my Steam-version on 5120x1440! Thank you so much. No more black bars and continuously adjustable FOV. That's very nice.

Michael

Share this comment

On 7/30/2021 at 2:38 AM, Rose said:

Well, there are at least two of us where something is apparently interfering with the Steam version. As I said above, it works fine for me in super ultrawide with the Gamepass version but literally will not do anything with respect to the Steam version on the same PC. 

Share this comment

Doesn't work for me on gamepass version following all steps perfectly. F9 just does nothing (and the key is fine).

Share this comment

So i have t ried and tried to get this to run, including disabling AV. When I double click on the patch while the game is open, nothing happens. Then 2 seconds later the patch totally disappears from my desktop.  I keep unpacking the file over and over and restarting my machine but it just does nothing. No window with instructions appears in the game either.

The patch is only 5 megs - isnt it supposed to be 11? I tried to launch in admin but the file disappears too quickly and windows says it cant start the file beacuse it cannot be found.

Share this comment