13 Screenshots

About This File

By default, Mafia II Definitive Edition not only adds black bars to all cutscenes at 21:9 and wider but also simultaneously vertically "crops" pre-recorded FMVs.

The two included patchers serve as two options (don't use both!):

• Remove all black bars - FMVs stay cropped (vert- from 16:9).
  • Remove black bars only from rendered cutscenes and fix FMV scaling.

Tested the latest Steam version primarily at 2560x1080, briefly at 3440x1440 and 5760x1080.

You can buy me a coffee here or support me on patreon.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks for the fix. I used the vert- and it is the best, but unfortunately the title screen is in 16:9. Is there any chance you can modify it to also have the title screen in 21:9?

Warm regards

Welshy

Share this comment

7 hours ago, welshbarbarian said:

Thanks for the fix. I used the vert- and it is the best, but unfortunately the title screen is in 16:9. Is there any chance you can modify it to also have the title screen in 21:9?

Warm regards

Welshy

It is possible but the background appears to be limited in width, so that just results in stretching. I don't think it's optimal.

Share this comment

Hi. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried the second fix and the title screen was actually 21:9 unstreched. But the reason I didnt implement it was because the fmv is of course 16:9 despite the rendered being 21:9 friendly. I was happier having the vert minus on the fmv. It is the best balance without breaking immersion. The payoff of course is the title screen only that retains 16:9 . Many Thanks again and I hope what I have written makes sense. 

So the title screen can actually fill to 21:9 unstreched but only on the less favourable fix. I'm still very happy with it. Was just wondering if it was easy enough for you to modify it. 

I just wish i had the brains to do these things myself

Warm regards and thanks for your efforts as always

Welshy. 

EDIT:   "unstretched"  is more likely zoomed in. But it is still good.

Share this comment

For anyone who wants to to the changes manually (note: this is based on the difference between patched and unpatched file and verified using checksum after manual edit, the patcher may consider other variables when changing the hex which may be relevant for future patches)

• For wide in game and pre render cutscenes go to offset "00378CD0", find "0F 11 49 28 48" and change it to "0F 11 51 28 48".
  • To make pre rendered cutscenes not cut off on the top and bottom (in exchange for black bars on the side) in addition to the edit above go to offset "003839D0", find "8B C9 75 38 F3" and change it to "8B C9 74 38 F3".

Share this comment