Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 hours ago, easybakeaigis said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I did some more testing and here's what I found. My PC specs: Windows 11, nVidia RTX 3050 Laptop GPU with 4GB, Intel Core i5, 32GB RAM.

A vanilla game install with no mods does not display the the map icon or puzzle cursor. With the PC Fix mod installed, I tried the "LogToConsole = 1" and the command console would briefly appear, flash lines of text, and then disappear. A white screen would load and then crash. The game itself wouldn't boot at all unless this option was disabled.

With the default PC Fix mod and no changes to the ini file, there's no map icon or puzzle cursor. I had the same results when toggling "MouseCursorFix" and "UseDirectX12" on and off in every combination, with no other options changed. Curiously, I also discovered that toggling either option would cause the map and puzzle screens to stretch wide (Fix2DElements was still set to 1), while the company logo screens and start screen were unaffected. They would go back to 4:3 with the options turned off.

I removed the mod files from the game directory and dropped in the dgVoodoo2 d3d8.dll. The game runs in widescreen and the map icon and puzzle cursor both appear, but 2D elements are stretched, the framerate shuffles between 30 and 60, and I don't get to enjoy any of the improvements of the PC Fix mod. I don't know anything about programming, so I don't know what the PC Fix mod and dgVoodoo2 do differently. I can only guess it has something to do with DirectX compatibility, my GPU, and/or Windows 11. The DirectX compatibility theory was something I read in another forum that sounded plausible enough to try dgVoodoo2, which did indeed get those blasted cursors working, but alas, it does not contain any of the enhancements that your mod has.

Thanks again for the work you've done! I hope my feedback helps 😄

Try installing this: Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Steam006 said:

Still no luck. However, I did just realize that the dgVoodoo2 wrapper does not provide 16:9 widescreen, but is in fact 4:3 stretched horizontally. This explains the 2D elements being stretched when using it. I really should have noticed it before, but the difference is subtle. My apologies😅

Out of paranoia, I also decided to check and see if the map and puzzle screens being stretched when enabling "MouseCursorFix" was somehow disabling 16:9 for the rest of the game and using stretched 4:3, and good news, everything else is still true 16:9.

Share this comment

On 12/1/2022 at 10:54 PM, LoricaImperator said:

I'm unsure if I did something, but the map icon showing my position isn't there. I did the mouse cursor fix for the puzzles, but there's no cursor for the map.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:48 AM, Steam006 said:

I can't fix the cursor on the map unfortunately. Which GPU do you have?

Okay, so after googling around for info on d3d8 wrappers and fixes for other games, I believe I found a goofy solution for anyone who still has the mouse cursor and map icon issues even after making changes to the mod's ini file.

Here are the steps:

1. With a fresh install of the game, install the Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006. If you want to use Xinput Plus, do so as well.
  2. Make any changes to the ini file as needed. NOTE: I found that toggling some options, specifically options under the [DirectX] heading will cause the game to immediately crash after the next steps. Keep those options on default. I would also leave anything under [Graphics] and [DirectX_Misc] alone just to be safe. Every other option appears to work fine (except for "LogToConsole" which still crashes for me). I toggled WishHouse = 1, FullscreenPauseMenu = 0, and NewSaveSystem = 1 with no issues.
  3. Rename the d3d8.dll file provided by the PC Fix Mod to ddraw.dll
  4. Download dgVoodoo2 (version 79.3 as of this writing) and unzip the folder. Run the included dgVoodooCpl application, click over to the DirectX tab, uncheck the box for "dgVoodoo2 watermark" and click apply. Close the application.
  5. In the folder, navigate to "dgVoodoo2_79_3\MS\x86" and copy D3D8.dll
  6. Paste the D3D8.dll file into the game directory. Run the game.
  7. The game will probably boot into a weird pseudo-fullscreen window. That's fine. Once you get to the Options menu, change the screen mode to "Fullscreen" in Configurations. That should fix it. NOTE: You may notice that "Resolution" is blank. I don't know what causes that. "Rendering Resolution" will also default to "512 x 512". Just ignore that and say Yes.
  8. Start a new game and enjoy the true 16:9 widescreen and other enhancements of the PC Fix Mod! The map player icon and puzzle cursors should now appear as well.

I haven't tested the full game with this setup (I played up to the book puzzle in the mall). I don't know if any other problems will arise. It isn't a perfect solution, so feel free to comment if anything else weird happens. Good luck! 😁

Share this comment

@easybakeaigis Reading online it sound like you have an optimus laptop then yes you will need to use dgVoodoo2 or similar to play the game. It's still strange that LogToConsole crashes the game.

Share this comment

All my textures are sharp and not smooth, although I have enabled anisotropic filtering in the configuration file and in the Nvidia Control Panel. 

Share this comment

Why does Silent Hill 3 run on an integrated GPU and not on a dedicated GPU? How do I get the game to run with a Dedicated GPU instead of an integrated GPU? Is there any way to do this via Silent Hill 3 PC Fix?

Share this comment

16 minutes ago, Tomgard said:

Why does Silent Hill 3 run on an integrated GPU and not on a dedicated GPU? How do I get the game to run with a Dedicated GPU instead of an integrated GPU? Is there any way to do this via Silent Hill 3 PC Fix?

Yep, I have the same problem, it's because the game runs on DX8, if there is both a dGPU and iGPU, Silent Hill 3 uses only the iGPU

Share this comment

20 hours ago, The_Renaissance said:

Yep, I have the same problem, it's because the game runs on DX8, if there is both a dGPU and iGPU, Silent Hill 3 uses only the iGPU

Is there any way to run Silent Hill 3 with dGPU? Were you able to run it with the dGPU? Or is there any option how to make the game does not run with DX8?

Share this comment

Hi,

Despite all my editing I still cant get the game to start anywhere near 4k or even in a 16:9 setting.

I have altered the correct (or what I believe to be correct) lines in the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix config file.

But the game starts regardless at it's own chosen 4:3 settings, even to test it I chose Windowed Mode to see if any of the settings were being applied and no it still starts in a full screen 4:3 setting. Almost as if it's not even using the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix config file when loading.

Share this comment

I just downloaded the most recent version, do I keep the MissingSound folder and the new Sounds folder or delete the MissingSound folder? Missingsound has some files not in new sounds folder it looks like.

Share this comment

On 2/23/2023 at 6:51 PM, mrteabag said:

Hi,

Despite all my editing I still cant get the game to start anywhere near 4k or even in a 16:9 setting.

I have altered the correct (or what I believe to be correct) lines in the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix config file.

But the game starts regardless at it's own chosen 4:3 settings, even to test it I chose Windowed Mode to see if any of the settings were being applied and no it still starts in a full screen 4:3 setting. Almost as if it's not even using the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix config file when loading.

Try the new version.

Share this comment

On 2/24/2023 at 1:22 AM, Renolds22 said:

I just downloaded the most recent version, do I keep the MissingSound folder and the new Sounds folder or delete the MissingSound folder? Missingsound has some files not in new sounds folder it looks like.

You only need the new "Sounds" folder.

Share this comment

Running the game with widescreen (either in this patch or in the standalone) makes it very choppy. Almost like slow motion. Running the game vanilla is mostly fine with just a few frame drops. Any one know how to fix this?

Share this comment

ive downloaded silent hill 3 like 4 days ago, of course the game wasn't running smoothly so i looked for a fix and found this, and it did fix the issues i had but once i started playing more i noticed that when i go through doors i just get a bloody red loading screen like this, and ive waited for a solid 5 minutes and nothing happened, so i know for sure this isnt normal because there are other doors that instantly work, and this started happening after i downloaded the fix, so can anyone help me with this  KnYX-EN-hrjSB50Klujz6qTmLNdlzgSmF-hoN8i-F_k.thumb.webp.05f0f1e8a0b8343adf1d49af797470b2.webp

Share this comment

17 hours ago, aknehow said:

ive downloaded silent hill 3 like 4 days ago, of course the game wasn't running smoothly so i looked for a fix and found this, and it did fix the issues i had but once i started playing more i noticed that when i go through doors i just get a bloody red loading screen like this, and ive waited for a solid 5 minutes and nothing happened, so i know for sure this isnt normal because there are other doors that instantly work, and this started happening after i downloaded the fix, so can anyone help me with this 

Try rin ,lots of useful info and bug reporting going on there in the S3 pc fix thread:

https://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90268&hilit=silent+hill&start=210

Though Steam006 does pop in here too 🙂

Also, try those 2 mods on Moddb that improve voice and and sounds , fixes some sync issues too which might help with your problem.

Silent Hill 3 Audio Enhancement Pack Version 3.0

Silent HIll 3 HD Collection Voice Pack Version 6.0

They apparently work ok with this fix by steam006.

Share this comment

Hey, 
So i downloaded the pack, but if I copy it to the SH3 folder, nothing happens. The game starts with low resolution and i cant even change any settings ingame. Can someone help me please? 😞 

Share this comment

Hey, i downloaded the pack and copied it to the SH3 folder. But somehow my game starts with a low resolution. And I can't change any settings in game. I wanted it to play in full hd, can someone help me please out? 😞 

Share this comment

8 hours ago, nellomara said:

Hey, i downloaded the pack and copied it to the SH3 folder. But somehow my game starts with a low resolution. And I can't change any settings in game. I wanted it to play in full hd, can someone help me please out? 😞 

Did you extract the zip file?

Share this comment

On 4/23/2023 at 10:52 PM, Steam006 said:

Did you extract the zip file?

Yes of course. I first thought i need the dllinjector, but then i've read that no one is needed anymore and that i have just to put the files in my SH3 folder. I did, but like i said the game just starts with a "square resolution", so it's not even widescreen and ingame when i go to options i cant select the resolution, it's empty. 

Share this comment

5 hours ago, nellomara said:

Yes of course. I first thought i need the dllinjector, but then i've read that no one is needed anymore and that i have just to put the files in my SH3 folder. I did, but like i said the game just starts with a "square resolution", so it's not even widescreen and ingame when i go to options i cant select the resolution, it's empty. 

The main menu is intentionally not stretched to widescreen as it doesn't look very good. In-game should be widescreen. If you want to stretch the menu you can change "Fix2DElements" to 0 in the ini.

Share this comment

On 4/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Steam006 said:

The main menu is intentionally not stretched to widescreen as it doesn't look very good. In-game should be widescreen. If you want to stretch the menu you can change "Fix2DElements" to 0 in the ini.

Okay thank you. I didn't knew that. 

Thank you very much! 

Share this comment