Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 hours ago, Steam006 said:

@ebench Should be fixed now in 2.5.5 I found the bug.

You're amazing! Thanks again for this fantastic patch and for your continued hard work for this community🙂

Share this comment

thanks for the work you've put in for this patch! i ran into a problem yesterday, unfortunately; when in the brookhaven hospital and activating the scene with lisa, it played for a few seconds before crashing the game. when i opened it again, i now for some reason have no audio at all. i've tried restarting my computer, starting it from the original sh3.exe rather than the reloaded 2 launch (since i was using the audio enhancement mod), but it still has no audio. i'm using the latest patch, so i don't know what's going wrong. here's the minidump and a generated log file

Share this comment

@frogmoji

it looks like the crash was for some reason caused by an OBS dll, I'm guessing OBS was running? To restore the audio you could watch the Lisa scene again and the audio should come back. I believe i can stop this from happening in the future with a small change to the mod. 

Edit: I've added a "FixAudio" option in the ini you can enable to restore the audio.

Share this comment

Hello, I just finished silent hill 2 and im really excited to get into Silent Hill 3. But I keep running into a problem with the PC fix, every time I try to extract it, I keep getting an popup saying that there is an unexpected error preventing me from copying the file. This happens for nearly every file, including the d3d8 files, MP3  files and the even the text documents. I've tried nearly everything to fix this, but it keeps displaying the error message when I try extracting the PC fix. I'm pretty stumped since I was able to run Silent hill 2 flawlessly, so I'm not sure if its a problem with the PC fixes' files or my computer.

Thanks in advance 

Share this comment

43 minutes ago, shrimpsofthecoast said:

Hello, I just finished silent hill 2 and im really excited to get into Silent Hill 3. But I keep running into a problem with the PC fix, every time I try to extract it, I keep getting an popup saying that there is an unexpected error preventing me from copying the file. This happens for nearly every file, including the d3d8 files, MP3  files and the even the text documents. I've tried nearly everything to fix this, but it keeps displaying the error message when I try extracting the PC fix. I'm pretty stumped since I was able to run Silent hill 2 flawlessly, so I'm not sure if its a problem with the PC fixes' files or my computer.

Thanks in advance 

Open it with 7zip and enter the password.

Share this comment

For the Reshade to work you have to replace d3d8.dll. But if you do that PC Fix stops working.
Is there a solution for this? The game looks rather dull without modern shaders.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, lipov said:

For the Reshade to work you have to replace d3d8.dll. But if you do that PC Fix stops working.
Is there a solution for this? The game looks rather dull without modern shaders.

You can rename the other dll to d3d8R.dll. But as I've already said d3d8to9 doesn't work well with SH3 especially in the 2nd half of the game.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Steam006 said:

You can rename the other dll to d3d8R.dll. But as I've already said d3d8to9 doesn't work well with SH3 especially in the 2nd half of the game.

Hi Steam006. Will SH3 work well with dgVoodoo in the 2nd half of the game?

Share this comment

26 minutes ago, albundy said:

Hi Steam006. Will SH3 work well with dgVoodoo in the 2nd half of the game?

In my testing performance with dgVoodoo is very poor, big stutters and freezes.

Share this comment

@Steam006 

I have downloaded the patch & everything seems to be working fine, except for some reason strafing is mapped to the start and select buttons on my wired XBox controller, and I can't change this in settings. When I try to chance it in game options, the game seems to think it is set to the triggers (buttons 7&8). Trying to set the button option to the L&R triggers in options menu doesn't do anything, but it's the only button option that doesn't work. I was able to switch enter and back buttons to A & B respectively and it works fine.

Share this comment

So I renamed “sh3.exe” to something else because Discord was recognizing it as “Silent Hunter 3” and I wanted it to display as “Silent Hill 3” but of course changing the name of the executable makes it difficult for this mod to find the right executable.

Is there a way I can get this mod to recognize the game executable with a different name other than “sh3.exe”?

Share this comment

On 11/13/2023 at 9:39 PM, crashmanthekook said:

@Steam006 

I have downloaded the patch & everything seems to be working fine, except for some reason strafing is mapped to the start and select buttons on my wired XBox controller, and I can't change this in settings. When I try to chance it in game options, the game seems to think it is set to the triggers (buttons 7&8). Trying to set the button option to the L&R triggers in options menu doesn't do anything, but it's the only button option that doesn't work. I was able to switch enter and back buttons to A & B respectively and it works fine.

I don't play with a controller myself so I'm not sure. You can check the guide on reddit if it has any info about this.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, v7z said:

So I renamed “sh3.exe” to something else because Discord was recognizing it as “Silent Hunter 3” and I wanted it to display as “Silent Hill 3” but of course changing the name of the executable makes it difficult for this mod to find the right executable.

Is there a way I can get this mod to recognize the game executable with a different name other than “sh3.exe”?

I can fix this in the next version.

Share this comment

On 11/13/2023 at 3:39 PM, crashmanthekook said:

@Steam006 

You have to install Xinput Plus. The steps to use/configure it are under the "[OPTIONAL] Controllers:" heading in the Silent Hill 3 setup guide here.

Share this comment

12 hours ago, Steam006 said:

I don't play with a controller myself so I'm not sure. You can check the guide on reddit if it has any info about this.

I found out I just needed XInput Plus. If anyone else has this problem, definitely need it. You also need to set UseInitBeep to False in XInputPlus.ini to prevent it crashing on startup with this fix, not just the audio enhancement pack (which I wasn't using).

Share this comment

Hi, I downloaded the mod and everything works fine. Had to lower my framerate to 30fps cos my laptop is a potato (Nvdia GTX1050) but my biggest issue is my game randomly crashes, like the screen freezes but the game is still playing in the background. I can actually still save it cos I have memorised how to save from the inventory menu. But I need to close the game to progress. I literally can’t find anyone anywhere who has had similar issues. Playing vanilla SH3 seems fine. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, uryen9999 said:

Hi, I downloaded the mod and everything works fine. Had to lower my framerate to 30fps cos my laptop is a potato (Nvdia GTX1050) but my biggest issue is my game randomly crashes, like the screen freezes but the game is still playing in the background. I can actually still save it cos I have memorised how to save from the inventory menu. But I need to close the game to progress. I literally can’t find anyone anywhere who has had similar issues. Playing vanilla SH3 seems fine. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Like I wrote in the FAQ, SH3 doesn't work well on laptops. It will run on the integrated graphics causing poor performance and other issues. The reason vanilla works better is because it's less heavy on the GPU.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, Steam006 said:

It's already been added.

Really? I haven't played through yet with the PC Fix (was using an older Widescreen Fix), but checked the .ini and "Sounds" folder. Didn't see anything on it and for sound folder saw the Lisa one and TV. I'm guessing it's just built in? Gonna play through it today.

Share this comment

I've been playing through it now and it's definitely there, the added PS2 stuff makes me so happy since I played this a ton on PS2.

Just wanna say thank for your hard work and dedication on these fixes, this is good stuff!

I tried putting on DirectX12 since my PC supports it, but noticed it was giving me a little bit of screen tearing. Luckily I found out thats what it was and turned it off. (fixed)

The one thing is the Storage Room in the alternate hospital where the blood comes out from the mirror. The sfx are played late, I wonder if this can be fixed. I'm not using the audio enhancement thing because I didn't really want to use a launcher to run sh3.exe.

I'm playing the game through Steam and I did use the Sound Fixer at least to have the PS2 quality audio and fix the pitch of the sounds.

Also the shadows in the game, mainly the characters shadows. They look like dolls and not detailed like the PS2. I wonder if these can be fixed as well or if thats just how the PC version renders the shadows.

Share this comment

The SFX in the storeroom was made for 30 FPS on the PS2 version and it was not adjusted when they added 60 FPS support in the PC version. The only fixes I can think of would be to set the framerate to 30 when going into that room or replace the SFX with a 60 FPS adjusted version.

30 FPS would be easy to do. Replacing the SFX would be a lot more complicated.

Shadows can't be fixed, at least not without replacing the shadow rendering code and shadow maps and that's too much work involved for this project.

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, sebsehr13 said:

IT seems that the latest version of this mod gets stuck on the white screen when launtching at least for me.

Enable logging and attach the log file here.

Log = 1

LogGameDebugMsg = 1

Share this comment