Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm unsure if I did something, but the map icon showing my position isn't there. I did the mouse cursor fix for the puzzles, but there's no cursor for the map.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, LoricaImperator said:

I'm unsure if I did something, but the map icon showing my position isn't there. I did the mouse cursor fix for the puzzles, but there's no cursor for the map.

I can't fix the cursor on the map unfortunately. Which GPU do you have?

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Steam006 said:

I can't fix the cursor on the map unfortunately. Which GPU do you have?

I got a 3070. I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done?

Share this comment

18 minutes ago, LoricaImperator said:

I got a 3070. I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done?

This shouldn't be a problem on nvidia GPUs. Set "LogToConsole = 1" in the ini file and start the game. In the cmd window near the top there should be a line that says "Primary GPU" make sure it says 3070.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Steam006 said:

This shouldn't be a problem on nvidia GPUs. Set "LogToConsole = 1" in the ini file and start the game. In the cmd window near the top there should be a line that says "Primary GPU" make sure it says 3070.

It's using the the CPU's built in graphics processor.

Share this comment

12 minutes ago, LoricaImperator said:

It's using the the CPU's built in graphics processor.

There is the problem. Make sure your monitor cable is plugged in to your GPU, if it is you should reinstall the drivers.

Share this comment

53 minutes ago, Steam006 said:

There is the problem. Make sure your monitor cable is plugged in to your GPU, if it is you should reinstall the drivers.

I've checked the connection and reinstalled the driver. The game refuses to use the 3070, even after disabling the cpu graphics.

Share this comment

21 minutes ago, LoricaImperator said:

I've checked the connection and reinstalled the driver. The game refuses to use the 3070, even after disabling the cpu graphics.

I don't know how to fix that sorry. There is probably a setting somewhere.

Share this comment

7 minutes ago, Steam006 said:

I don't know how to fix that sorry. There is probably a setting somewhere.

Hey thanks for trying to help though. Everything else works fine, I'll just consider it more immersive.

Share this comment

Hey there Steam006, with the removal of d3d8to9.dll in the newest version, I cannot use ReShade and Special K anymore. Do you happen to have any suggestions? I could live without Special K, but ReShade has been really nice with the game. 

Share this comment

11 hours ago, ShadowCloudX said:

Hey there Steam006, with the removal of d3d8to9.dll in the newest version, I cannot use ReShade and Special K anymore. Do you happen to have any suggestions? I could live without Special K, but ReShade has been really nice with the game. 

The old d3d8to9.dll can still be used but you will get a warning when you start the game. If you were using ReShade to change the gamma you can set "Gamma = 1" in the ini and use F7 and F8 to change it.

Share this comment

11 hours ago, ShadowCloudX said:

I'd recommend against using ReShade (because of d3d9) as it significantly breaks visual effects halfway onwards in the game, go a few posts up to see my screenshot comparison to see why. Plus the base visual composition of the game is just fine and doesn't really need modifications.

Capture.PNG

Share this comment

Hey I had this installed on my computer before I reinstalled windows and it worked with no problem now no matter what I do the game doesn't have the correct screen resolution? There are black bars on the side I adjust resolution and render resolution and the game being full screen in the settings menu and the changes don't save. 

*I am running the game as administrator and all the DLL settings are default except for the new save system I turned that on*

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Justtryingtoplaysilenthill said:

Hey I had this installed on my computer before I reinstalled windows and it worked with no problem now no matter what I do the game doesn't have the correct screen resolution? There are black bars on the side I adjust resolution and render resolution and the game being full screen in the settings menu and the changes don't save. 

*I am running the game as administrator and all the DLL settings are default except for the new save system I turned that on*

If you mean black bars in the menu that's because the patch doesn't stretch it anymore. You can also enable "LogToConsole = 1" in the ini to see if the patch is being loaded.

Share this comment

Thanks for all your hard work.

I'm having an annoying problem after enabling the new save and load system. How do you stop the game from generating "savedata" and "SavedataBackup" folders on the desktop every time you launch the shortcut from the desktop?

Edit: Never mind, I figured out what the issue was. For some reason it wasn't set to start in the game directory, it was just left blank so I had to manually point it in the right direction.

Edited by RustyMetal

Share this comment

hey! i just tried the patch. i think some stuff does work but i keep getting an error on saved data when i open it. also the extra menu options aren't showing up. what could be the problem?

Share this comment

On 1/8/2023 at 11:57 PM, veylaan said:

hey! i just tried the patch. i think some stuff does work but i keep getting an error on saved data when i open it. also the extra menu options aren't showing up. what could be the problem?

You may need to run the game as admin.

Share this comment

Hello,

Thank you for all of the hard work you've done on this patch. Everything works and feels great, but I did run into some of the issues others mentioned above, such as the player icon on the map disappearing, and the cursor not working on puzzles even after enabling the fix in the ini file. Both of these seem to do with the game being forced to use the integrated GPU rather than the dedicated GPU. Even after changing graphics settings in Windows and the nVidia control panel to try and force the sh3.exe to use the dedicated GPU, the game will still only boot and run on the integrated GPU. 

This seems to be because many modern dedicated nVidia GPUs don't support versions of DirectX older than 9 and therefore the games default to the integrated GPU. Using other d3d8 wrappers like WineD3D and dgVoodoo2 to "port" older DirectX games to OpenGL (WineD3D) or DirectX 11 (dgVoodoo2) allows these older DirectX games to use the dedicated GPU.

After playtesting WineD3D and dgVoodoo2 and comparing them to this patch, I've found that dgVoodoo2 comes closest in terms of both enabling widescreen and  (EDIT: it's actually 4:3 stretched to 16:9) fixing the player map icon and puzzle mouse cursor problems. However, it does not offer the other fixes and features this patch has, like removing the cutscene black bars, keeping 2D elements 4:3, fixing the framerate, etc. Nor is it cross-compatible with the patch (I tried replacing the d3d8.dll from this patch with the dgVoodoo2 one and keeping the rest of the patch as is, but no dice).

This may be a very ignorant question and I apologize in advance, but is there any way that there can be a best of both worlds? Or in other words, is there something in the dgVoodoo2 d3d8.dll that can be added to this patch?

Thank you.

Edited 1/16/23

Share this comment

On 1/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, easybakeaigis said:

Hello,

Thank you for all of the hard work you've done on this patch. Everything works and feels great, but I did run into some of the issues others mentioned above, such as the player icon on the map disappearing, and the cursor not working on puzzles even after enabling the fix in the ini file. Both of these seem to do with the game being forced to use the integrated GPU rather than the dedicated GPU. Even after changing graphics settings in Windows and the nVidia control panel to try and force the sh3.exe to use the dedicated GPU, the game will still only boot and run on the integrated GPU. 

This seems to be because many modern dedicated nVidia GPUs don't support versions of DirectX older than 9 and therefore the games default to the integrated GPU. Using other d3d8 wrappers like WineD3D and dgVoodoo2 to "port" older DirectX games to OpenGL (WineD3D) or DirectX 11 (dgVoodoo2) allows these older DirectX games to use the dedicated GPU.

After playtesting WineD3D and dgVoodoo2 and comparing them to this patch, I've found that dgVoodoo2 comes closest in terms of both enabling widescreen and fixing the player map icon and puzzle mouse cursor problems. However, it does not offer the other fixes and features this patch has, like removing the cutscene black bars, keeping 2D elements 4:3, fixing the framerate, etc. Nor is it cross-compatible with the patch (I tried replacing the d3d8.dll from this patch with the dgVoodoo2 one and keeping the rest of the patch as is, but no dice).

This may be a very ignorant question and I apologize in advance, but is there any way that there can be a best of both worlds? Or in other words, is there something in the dgVoodoo2 d3d8.dll that can be added to this patch?

Thank you.

The missing player icon is caused by d3d9on12 (DirectX 12) being used by the game. All modern dedicated nvidia GPUs support DX8, I myself have two PCs with an RTX 3080 and an RTX 3060. Make sure "UseDirectX12" is set to 0 in the ini file. And make sure your monitor is connected to your GPU and not your motherboard.

You can set "LogToConsole" in the ini to 1 and check near the top of the cmd window for "Primary GPU" and "StateFlags" (should in most cases be set to 00000005). You can also look at the window name for the cmd window and it will tell you which DX version is being used.

Share this comment

20 hours ago, Steam006 said:

The missing player icon is caused by d3d9on12 (DirectX 12) being used by the game. All modern dedicated nvidia GPUs support DX8, I myself have two PCs with an RTX 3080 and an RTX 3060. Make sure "UseDirectX12" is set to 0 in the ini file. And make sure your monitor is connected to your GPU and not your motherboard.

You can set "LogToConsole" in the ini to 1 and check near the top of the cmd window for "Primary GPU" and "StateFlags" (should in most cases be set to 00000005). You can also look at the window name for the cmd window and it will tell you which DX version is being used.

Thanks for the reply. 

I did some more testing and here's what I found. My PC specs: Windows 11, nVidia RTX 3050 Laptop GPU with 4GB, Intel Core i5, 32GB RAM.

A vanilla game install with no mods does not display the the map icon or puzzle cursor. With the PC Fix mod installed, I tried the "LogToConsole = 1" and the command console would briefly appear, flash lines of text, and then disappear. A white screen would load and then crash. The game itself wouldn't boot at all unless this option was disabled.

With the default PC Fix mod and no changes to the ini file, there's no map icon or puzzle cursor. I had the same results when toggling "MouseCursorFix" and "UseDirectX12" on and off in every combination, with no other options changed. Curiously, I also discovered that toggling either option would cause the map and puzzle screens to stretch wide (Fix2DElements was still set to 1), while the company logo screens and start screen were unaffected. They would go back to 4:3 with the options turned off.

I removed the mod files from the game directory and dropped in the dgVoodoo2 d3d8.dll. The game runs in widescreen (EDIT: it's actually 4:3 stretched to 16:9) and the map icon and puzzle cursor both appear, but 2D elements are stretched, the framerate shuffles between 30 and 60, and I don't get to enjoy any of the improvements of the PC Fix mod. I don't know anything about programming, so I don't know what the PC Fix mod and dgVoodoo2 do differently. I can only guess it has something to do with DirectX compatibility, my GPU, and/or Windows 11. The DirectX compatibility theory was something I read in another forum that sounded plausible enough to try dgVoodoo2, which did indeed get those blasted cursors working, but alas, it does not contain any of the enhancements that your mod has.

Thanks again for the work you've done! I hope my feedback helps 😄

Edited 1/16/23.

Share this comment