Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

its seems that there is a bug when noise effects are turned on certain rooms become pitch black going n the inventory temporarily fixes it but it happens more and more its really bad in the sewer hallway where you pic up the wine bottle and the upstairs of the  construction site

Share this comment

49 minutes ago, sebsehr13 said:

its seems that there is a bug when noise effects are turned on certain rooms become pitch black going n the inventory temporarily fixes it but it happens more and more its really bad in the sewer hallway where you pic up the wine bottle and the upstairs of the  construction site

also this only seems to be an issue with the latest version sense i tried a older one and the problem is not present.

Share this comment

On 8/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, sebsehr13 said:

Fixed now.

Share this comment

Has anyone gotten this to work in Wine in Linux?  I keep getting this error.

---------------------------
DLLInjector
Unable to get RtlGetNtVersionNumbers or RtlImageNtHeaderEx!
OK   

Share this comment

New update seems to be working fine, except when I try to open the game via Steam shortcut, it just crashes immediately. Is there a fix for this or have I done something wrong?

Here's what I have in my SILENT HILL 3 folder.
image_2022-09-06_123020010.thumb.png.8289e265fbcb0e6f08de1bd905cf1848.pngimage_2022-09-06_123055001.thumb.png.474e2fadd4c41e1ef7675c6d90d7c7e9.pngimage_2022-09-06_123256621.png.f0673817a99bceaa0d58ad7c708f0251.png

Share this comment

Hey! I've been trying to extract the files into my directory for an hour now, I tried turning off my Avast anti-virus as well as making exceptions to all the folders involved. I keep

getting this error whenever I try to copy-paste the files, any ideas on how to fix this? 

help.JPG.a8533f84773ea53b4cfaaaf0d1fb57d7.JPG 

Share this comment

5 hours ago, somesortofweeb said:

Hey! I've been trying to extract the files into my directory for an hour now, I tried turning off my Avast anti-virus as well as making exceptions to all the folders involved. I keep

getting this error whenever I try to copy-paste the files, any ideas on how to fix this? 

You need to extract with a tool such as winzip, winrar or 7-Zip.

Share this comment

On 9/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, bulken92 said:

New update seems to be working fine, except when I try to open the game via Steam shortcut, it just crashes immediately. Is there a fix for this or have I done something wrong?

Here's what I have in my SILENT HILL 3 folder.

You may need to set sh3.exe to start with admin rights.

Properties -> Compatibility tab -> "Run this program as Administrator"

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Steam006 said:

You need to extract with a tool such as winzip, winrar or 7-Zip.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh 

This whole time I was just viewing it from the File Explorer on windows and not extracting it from the 7-zip folder itself! Thank you 🙂

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Steam006 said:

You may need to set sh3.exe to start with admin rights.

Properties -> Compatibility tab -> "Run this program as Administrator"

Well, it was able to run through Steam fine with the admin option enabled, but I was hoping it play it with the Steam overlay, so that I can play SH3 in places other than my office/bedroom. As of right now, I can't seem to get it working, even on Big Picture Mode.

Share this comment

Hey Steam006, I really appreciate all the work you have done on this project. I was wondering if you could incorporate d3d8to9 (Releases · crosire/d3d8to9 · GitHub) into this fix? It would allow other .dll plugins such as ReShade and SpecialK to work with this. Might fix the issue as well allowing the Steam Overlay to work as well.

Also I wanted to mention, I wanted to try to play this on my 2nd monitor. Using the x position located in the .ini, my monitor is -2560 as the monitor is to the left to my primary display. I do have the y position on 0 and it is set in the .ini to be borderless. When I start the game, the game will jump over to the 2nd monitor but then go back to the primary.  Any suggestions?

Share this comment

On 9/8/2022 at 11:15 PM, ShadowCloudX said:

Hey Steam006, I really appreciate all the work you have done on this project. I was wondering if you could incorporate d3d8to9 (Releases · crosire/d3d8to9 · GitHub) into this fix? It would allow other .dll plugins such as ReShade and SpecialK to work with this. Might fix the issue as well allowing the Steam Overlay to work as well.

Also I wanted to mention, I wanted to try to play this on my 2nd monitor. Using the x position located in the .ini, my monitor is -2560 as the monitor is to the left to my primary display. I do have the y position on 0 and it is set in the .ini to be borderless. When I start the game, the game will jump over to the 2nd monitor but then go back to the primary.  Any suggestions?

d3d8to9 support has been added but it has issues.

Not sure about your monitor question. You could run the game in windowed mode and drag the window to the monitor you want to play on.

Share this comment

@Steam006It's been a long time since I tried your patch, but I'm currently playing on a 21:9 display (3440x1440) everything appears to work fine, though inventory, and title screen are stretched to fill the screen. I have another installation of the game with some older hack-y fixes that ensured these two menus retain their 4:3 design. Is there a way to incorporate such a feature in this patch?

The KCET and Konami logos being stretched are no big deal of course, but the title screen and inventory being forced so wide really does look quite bad and playing in a window is not really ideal. 

Additionally, is there a way to not have subtitles and text stretched? 

On an unrelated note: I'm guessing the DLL Injector was removed some time back? The latest download does not include it. If so, it's nice to finally see away around having to use it with your patch. Great work, I respect your commitment to this!

Share this comment

On 9/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, Steam006 said:

d3d8to9 support has been added but it has issues.

Not sure about your monitor question. You could run the game in windowed mode and drag the window to the monitor you want to play on.

Thanks for adding d3d8to9 to it! I really appreciate it!

I ended up just using Borderless Gaming to force it on my 2nd monitor, I think the plugin might not like negative values on the positions.

Sadly, the Steam Overlay is still not working with the game. Either way, thanks for all the hard work you've done on this!

Share this comment

On 9/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, creamy elephant said:

I have another installation of the game with some older hack-y fixes that ensured these two menus retain their 4:3 design. Is there a way to incorporate such a feature in this patch?

I'd also love that. I'm pretty sure ThirteenAGs original fix retained the 4:3 aspect ratio for these elements. It's very straightforward to set up and install, nothing hackey there.

Share this comment

The cutscene FOV doesn't quite match up with the PS2s FOV. (See comparison pics)

Horizontally it's perfect but vertically it's cut off. It looks like the PS2s cutscene aspect ratio isn't quite 16:9, but I'd much rather have an image that's a bit wider horizontally, but doesn't omit anything vertically. Could you add that as an option, or just let the user pick the cutscene FOV manually?

Also I actually have a bug report: When setting the shadow res in the ini file to 256 the game doesn't launch and gets stuck in an infinite loop of "Patching Shadows (1) at --> 0048D891". I realized eventually that I just have to set the value to 0 to get the original shadow-res (duh), which is 256. But still, this shouldn't be happening ofc. This was tested in 2.2.5, though. So it's possible it's been fixed.

Anyway, a big thank you to ThirteenAG and @Steam006 for keeping this game up to date. Fixing that horrible fps fluctuation error and allowing the game to be run in 16:9 is a godsend

PC.png

Pcsx2-v1.7.3295-windows-64bit-avx2-qt Screenshot 2022.09.13 - 03.58.50.82.png

Share this comment

On 9/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, creamy elephant said:

@Steam006It's been a long time since I tried your patch, but I'm currently playing on a 21:9 display (3440x1440) everything appears to work fine, though inventory, and title screen are stretched to fill the screen. I have another installation of the game with some older hack-y fixes that ensured these two menus retain their 4:3 design. Is there a way to incorporate such a feature in this patch?

The KCET and Konami logos being stretched are no big deal of course, but the title screen and inventory being forced so wide really does look quite bad and playing in a window is not really ideal. 

Additionally, is there a way to not have subtitles and text stretched? 

On an unrelated note: I'm guessing the DLL Injector was removed some time back? The latest download does not include it. If so, it's nice to finally see away around having to use it with your patch. Great work, I respect your commitment to this!

You should use ThirteenAG's patch for 4:3 unstretched Menus and HUD, combine it with elishacloud's dxwrapper to force vsync along with other modifications as you like. Downside is you lose the beta/restored dialogue feature. It's only like two audio files so you're not missing much.

Share this comment

On 9/13/2022 at 4:54 AM, thegalumod said:

The cutscene FOV doesn't quite match up with the PS2s FOV. (See comparison pics)

Horizontally it's perfect but vertically it's cut off. It looks like the PS2s cutscene aspect ratio isn't quite 16:9, but I'd much rather have an image that's a bit wider horizontally, but doesn't omit anything vertically. Could you add that as an option, or just let the user pick the cutscene FOV manually?

Also I actually have a bug report: When setting the shadow res in the ini file to 256 the game doesn't launch and gets stuck in an infinite loop of "Patching Shadows (1) at --> 0048D891". I realized eventually that I just have to set the value to 0 to get the original shadow-res (duh), which is 256. But still, this shouldn't be happening ofc. This was tested in 2.2.5, though. So it's possible it's been fixed.

Anyway, a big thank you to ThirteenAG and @Steam006 for keeping this game up to date. Fixing that horrible fps fluctuation error and allowing the game to be run in 16:9 is a godsend

PC.png

Pcsx2-v1.7.3295-windows-64bit-avx2-qt Screenshot 2022.09.13 - 03.58.50.82.png

This is fixed in the new version and you can specify a custom vertical cutscene FOV.

Share this comment

Could you please add an option to display All 2D elements (Menus, Hud, Subtitles etc) in 4:3 like the ThirteenAG patch in a future update? 

Also will it be possible to merge/add the option to switch to d3d9 into the existing d3d8.dll itself (with an option to toggle it on/off in the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini file)

And this is a stretch but an alternative method of playing those restored dialogue files would be cool too, as my Antivirus hates the audiohelper .exe .  
Thanks for the continued support on sh3.

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, arhummk said:

Could you please add an option to display All 2D elements (Menus, Hud, Subtitles etc) in 4:3 like the ThirteenAG patch in a future update? 

Also will it be possible to merge/add the option to switch to d3d9 into the existing d3d8.dll itself (with an option to toggle it on/off in the Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini file)

And this is a stretch but an alternative method of playing those restored dialogue files would be cool too, as my Antivirus hates the audiohelper .exe .  
Thanks for the continued support on sh3.

1. Probably not

2. No, also DX9 is broken in SH3.

3. It needs to be in a separate exe otherwise the audio will play twice.

Share this comment

Well despite saying "Probably not" to a request for displaying 2D elements like menus and inventory in 4:3, you sure managed to achieve it quickly! The new update is wonderful for people like myself using 21:9 displays. Thank you, Steam006.

Share this comment

19 hours ago, ShadowCloudX said:

Hey @Steam006 sorry to bug you again. I was trying out your newest update of this fix (2.3.0) and while trying the new 4:3 menu feature you added on my 16:9 (2560x1440) resolution, it is only having the background on one side of the screen. Example: 4:3 ui issue on 16:9 SH3 - Imgur

Delete disp.ini in the savedata folder and make sure width and height are set to zero in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini.

Share this comment