Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

so im in the apartment complex after meeting Vincent and when i enter an elevator i cant use gamepad anymore when selecting a floor forcing me to use a mouse

Share this comment

Dear all,

I have the following problem. After unzipping the files as instructed (using the right password) and copying them in the install folder and executing the sh3.exe as an admin it just shows the loading circle next to my curser for a short while and then nothing happens. Anyone encountered this as well and knows how to fix this?

I'm running the latest version of Windows11.

Share this comment

On 10/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Silentius said:

Dear all,

I have the following problem. After unzipping the files as instructed (using the right password) and copying them in the install folder and executing the sh3.exe as an admin it just shows the loading circle next to my curser for a short while and then nothing happens. Anyone encountered this as well and knows how to fix this?

I'm running the latest version of Windows11.

Hey y'all, I was able to fix it. I acquired the base game from a different source, redid the installation process and now it works.

Share this comment

On 9/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, Steam006 said:

Delete disp.ini in the savedata folder and make sure width and height are set to zero in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini.

1) It is possible to use 4096x4096 rendering without breaking interface elements?

2) As far as I understood, to use the DX12 rendering you have to move "d3d8to9.dll" from the DX9 folder to the main folder?

(It seems that even after using "UseDirectX12 = 1" the game still uses DX8)

Thanks in advance!

Share this comment

17 hours ago, The_Renaissance said:

1) It is possible to use 4096x4096 rendering without breaking interface elements?

2) As far as I understood, to use the DX12 rendering you have to move "d3d8to9.dll" from the DX9 folder to the main folder?

(It seems that even after using "UseDirectX12 = 1" the game still uses DX8)

Thanks in advance!

1. No, things break if you go too high, I recommend just leaving everything at default.

2. d3d8to9.dll should not be used for DX12 rendering, just set UseDirectX12 = 1. Tools like MSI Afterburner will still say DX8 even though it's DX12.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Doubloon00 said:

Are the achievements logged anywhere? Or are they basically just notifications?

They are just notifications.

Share this comment

On 10/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, Steam006 said:

They are just notifications.

OK, cool, just making sure. I'll keep logging them as I've been, then.

Share this comment

Is there any way to use elishacloud's dxwrapper with this, by renaming files? there's a version of it that allows me to use my NVIDIA card instead of my Intel GPU when using d3d8 to d3d9. 

Share this comment

2 hours ago, arhummk said:

Is there any way to use elishacloud's dxwrapper with this, by renaming files? there's a version of it that allows me to use my NVIDIA card instead of my Intel GPU when using d3d8 to d3d9. 

I had the same problem with iGPU on my laptop (DX8 games don't work on main graphics card for some reason). But I fixed it easily - just copy d3d8to9.dll from DX9 folder to main game folder (where d3d8.dll is). That should work🙂

Share this comment

On 10/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, The_Renaissance said:

I had the same problem with iGPU on my laptop (DX8 games don't work on main graphics card for some reason). But I fixed it easily - just copy d3d8to9.dll from DX9 folder to main game folder (where d3d8.dll is). That should work🙂

I know that, I am trying to make d3d8to9 use my Nvidia GPU, as these translation layers often use the Intel one, dxwrapper has a new version that allows for that.

Share this comment

Woah Now I see what you meant by DX9 being broken in this game, any Idea why this is happening? and also what other places breaks in DX9? (I played till this point without knowing it was broken this bad).  Also performance in general is quite bad in these areas, even in DX12 mode. How did PCs back then handle this.

Pic below is DX8 vs DX8to9:

SILENT HILL 3 02_11_2022 02_34_35.png

SILENT HILL 3 02_11_2022 02_37_19.png

Share this comment

On 11/1/2022 at 11:42 PM, arhummk said:

Woah Now I see what you meant by DX9 being broken in this game, any Idea why this is happening? and also what other places breaks in DX9? (I played till this point without knowing it was broken this bad).  Also performance in general is quite bad in these areas, even in DX12 mode. How did PCs back then handle this.

Pic below is DX8 vs DX8to9:

The church is also broken. If performance is bad in DX8 or DX12 you can try lower the resolution values in the ini file. (DOF, Shadow, Inventory, StatusScreen).

Share this comment

heya, im sorta new to this modding stuff, but how come my game constantly forces itself into really low resolutions? ive installed it fine, and ive set my width & height to 1920 & 1080 in the config file, but it still opens the game in low resolution, ive tried running it as admin too, not sure how to fix this, i had it working yesterday but then when i went to play today it broke.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, chad said:

heya, im sorta new to this modding stuff, but how come my game constantly forces itself into really low resolutions? ive installed it fine, and ive set my width & height to 1920 & 1080 in the config file, but it still opens the game in low resolution, ive tried running it as admin too, not sure how to fix this, i had it working yesterday but then when i went to play today it broke.

so i think i figured out the issue, it was from renaming sh3.exe, a fresh install of the game fixed all my issues and that was the only thing i could think of that would've caused it.

Share this comment

Hello, I've faced a problem in the last few days where the game's audio suddenly disappeared when I reached this cutscene, and after some investigation with the help of GlitchyReal who created this guide, and the creator of the Audio Enhancement Pack for sh3 (which at first, I thought was the cause for this problem) we found that it maybe caused by the "SH3_LisaAudioHelper.exe" file as explained in here. Thank you for your great work and hopefully this problem will be dealt with.

And here's a video showing how the audio is missing for the whole game:

Share this comment

@Dimross

The way it works is this:

1. Your current volume level is saved and the game is muted when the cutscene starts.

2. SH3_LisaAudioHelper.exe is started which will play the cutscene audio.

3. When the cutscene is finished your old volume level is restored and the game is unmuted.

In your case if looks like it failed to restore your volume level for sh3.exe.

Share this comment

@Steam006

Does this mean that this problem can't be fixed ? maybe by knowing where the current volume is saved and being able to edit it might solve it ? or should I just do a clean reinstall and hope that the problem doesn't repeat itself ?

Edited by Dimross

Share this comment

33 minutes ago, Dimross said:

@Steam006

Does this mean that this problem can't be fixed ? maybe by knowing where the current volume is saved and being able to edit it might solve it ? or should I just do a clean reinstall and hope that the problem doesn't repeat itself ?

I sent you a message.

Share this comment

with last version 2.3.3

in windows 10 64bit 19045.2311, and gtx 1080

game don't launch from dllinjector.exe

i see the proces in task monitor, but game dont open

try delete  Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini but the same

any suggestion. thanks

Share this comment

On 11/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, Jonaand said:

with last version 2.3.3

in windows 10 64bit 19045.2311, and gtx 1080

game don't launch from dllinjector.exe

i see the proces in task monitor, but game dont open

try delete  Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini but the same

any suggestion. thanks

Dllinjector.exe is not used anymore. Just copy all the files to your SH3 directory and start the game as normal.

Share this comment

9 hours ago, arhummk said:

Is the default fog complexity (without the patch) the same as the PS2 version? If not, which value is the closest to PS2?

I think the default is worse than PS2. I don't know what value is closest I just picked one I thought looked pretty good.

Share this comment