Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello,

Not sure if this is due to using the dgVoodoo2 workaround or not, but after installing the 2.4.7 patch files (and v2.8.2 of dgVoodoo2), I encountered a bug where zooming in on the map screen causes the red pen markings to appear in the black bars on either side of the screen. Screenshot attached. Fix2DElements = 1.

sh3mapzoom.png

Share this comment

Hi.

It's been noted that there are graphical issues when using DX9 and none in DX12. Does anyone know if using DX11 via dgvoodoo (with Steam006's fix) cause these graphical issues? Is there a game save of the location where this graphical issue happens so that I can check? Along with Steam006's fix, I want to use Reshade and use super-sampling on DX11. I can't use super-sampling using DX12.

Thank you all.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, albundy said:

Hi.

It's been noted that there are graphical issues when using DX9 and none in DX12. Does anyone know if using DX11 via dgvoodoo (with Steam006's fix) cause these graphical issues? Is there a game save of the location where this graphical issue happens so that I can check? Along with Steam006's fix, I want to use Reshade and use super-sampling on DX11. I can't use super-sampling using DX12.

Thank you all.

dgVoodoo2 doesn't have the graphical issues but causes stutters in my testing.

Share this comment

On 5/13/2023 at 10:49 PM, easybakeaigis said:

Hello,

Not sure if this is due to using the dgVoodoo2 workaround or not, but after installing the 2.4.7 patch files (and v2.8.2 of dgVoodoo2), I encountered a bug where zooming in on the map screen causes the red pen markings to appear in the black bars on either side of the screen. Screenshot attached. Fix2DElements = 1.

sh3mapzoom.png

This is normal and is caused by displaying the map in 4:3.

Share this comment

22 hours ago, Steam006 said:

dgVoodoo2 doesn't have the graphical issues but causes stutters in my testing.

Thank you for quick response Steam006. Your work is very much appreciated.

Share this comment

On 5/13/2023 at 10:49 PM, easybakeaigis said:

Hello,

sh3mapzoom.png

The new version now has an option to stretch maps, see "StretchMaps" in the ini.

Share this comment

Has anyone gotten this mod to work on Linux with WINE or Proton?

I'm getting the error "Failed to get functions in original d3d8.dll!" both with WineD3D and with D8VK/DXVK/VKD3D (Tried with D3D12 option as well). The stock game works fine, and so does the old widescreen patch (Which IIRC was a dsound.dll injection).

Share this comment

23 hours ago, syboxez said:

Has anyone gotten this mod to work on Linux with WINE or Proton?

I'm getting the error "Failed to get functions in original d3d8.dll!" both with WineD3D and with D8VK/DXVK/VKD3D (Tried with D3D12 option as well). The stock game works fine, and so does the old widescreen patch (Which IIRC was a dsound.dll injection).

That error is displayed when d3d8.dll in the system directory (Typically C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on a windows machine) is missing necessary functions. Strange that this would be an issue for wine and proton.

Edit: Download the new version and rename the d3d8.dll from WineD3D (or someother tool) to d3d8R.dll.

Share this comment

On 5/28/2023 at 12:12 AM, Steam006 said:

That error is displayed when d3d8.dll in the system directory (Typically C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on a windows machine) is missing necessary functions. Strange that this would be an issue for wine and proton.

Edit: Download the new version and rename the d3d8.dll from WineD3D (or someother tool) to d3d8R.dll.

A lot better now, but still having issues.

The game launches fine now with D8VK (and does not launch at all with WineD3D). When trying to play the intro FMV, the game crashes, but the splash screens show up fine in the correct aspect ratio. binkw32 is installed in my WINE prefix, but I also tried without installing it.

Also for other people reading, D8VK goes in the same folder as the game named "d3d8R.dll", then you need overrides for both d3d8 and d3d8r, both set to "native;builtin".

EDIT: The game works with Proton-GE 8-3 using the same WINE prefix (launched with Lutris), but the FMV just gets skipped. I was testing the above with WINE-GE 8-7.

EDIT2: With Proton Experimental, the FMV audio works, but stays at a black screen, which seems to also be the stock behavior. I'd call this mod working if using Proton Experimental. I'll report back if I can figure out getting the FMV to work.

EDIT3: FMV works with wine-lutris-fshack-7.2. Probably a Proton (and by proxy, WINE-GE) issue. I'll just report to Valve. Thanks for the fix!

EDIT4: If anyone wants to follow the issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/6810

Edited by syboxez

Share this comment

3 hours ago, syboxez said:

A lot better now, but still having issues.

The game launches fine now with D8VK (and does not launch at all with WineD3D). When trying to play the intro FMV, the game crashes, but the splash screens show up fine in the correct aspect ratio. binkw32 is installed in my WINE prefix, but I also tried without installing it.

Also for other people reading, D8VK goes in the same folder as the game named "d3d8R.dll", then you need overrides for both d3d8 and d3d8r, both set to "native;builtin".

EDIT: The game works with Proton-GE 8-3 using the same WINE prefix (launched with Lutris), but the FMV just gets skipped. I was testing the above with WINE-GE 8-7.

EDIT2: With Proton Experimental, the FMV audio works, but stays at a black screen, which seems to also be the stock behavior. I'd call this mod working if using Proton Experimental. I'll report back if I can figure out getting the FMV to work.

EDIT3: FMV works with wine-lutris-fshack-7.2. Probably a Proton (and by proxy, WINE-GE) issue. I'll just report to Valve. Thanks for the fix!

EDIT4: If anyone wants to follow the issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/6810

Good to hear you got it working.

Share this comment

On 5/29/2023 at 8:15 PM, Steam006 said:

Good to hear you got it working.

(Sorry for asking on the wrong post, I'm just doing this because you're way more active in here)

Which SH4 version do you recommend using with your patch? The original DVD or GOG's release?

Share this comment

13 hours ago, suvahkeera said:

(Sorry for asking on the wrong post, I'm just doing this because you're way more active in here)

Which SH4 version do you recommend using with your patch? The original DVD or GOG's release?

Both should work but I recommend the GOG release.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Steam006 said:

Both should work but I recommend the GOG release.

GOG doesnt have SH3 only 4 0.o 

oh... lol nvm read the prev post

Share this comment

When I unzipped it and put it all in a folder, the sh3_Minidumps folder was just created and it didn't start. If you run d3d8, it will start, but the mod will not be reflected, please help😂  

Edited by zero

Share this comment

Hi, I've pasted all the files several times since then, but still a lot of mini dumps are generated and it doesn't even start

Edited by zero

Share this comment

I am running the game on ultra wide resolution but everything is stretched (16:9 -> 21:9) Any idea how to fix this stretched issue on ultra wide with this patch? My resolution is 21:9 and I'm running the latest version

Share this comment

On 6/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, suicidalfailure said:

I am running the game on ultra wide resolution but everything is stretched (16:9 -> 21:9) Any idea how to fix this stretched issue on ultra wide with this patch? My resolution is 21:9 and I'm running the latest version

I'm not sure what you mean? I've tested the game in 21:9 and it looks fine except some of the cutscenes. Your game runs at 21:9 because that is the aspect ratio of your monitor.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, Steam006 said:

I'm not sure what you mean? I've tested the game in 21:9 and it looks fine except some of the cutscenes. Your game runs at 21:9 because that is the aspect ratio of your monitor.

Ah I meant the cutscenes, they are stretched (from beginning to  mall) but gameplay is fine

Share this comment

1 hour ago, suicidalfailure said:

Ah I meant the cutscenes, they are stretched (from beginning to  mall) but gameplay is fine

I don't think the cutscenes can be fixed on ultrawide without recreating them and they are real-time not pre-recorded. 

You will have to set the monitor to 16:9 mode if you want non stretched cutscenes.

Share this comment

On 6/26/2023 at 2:26 AM, Steam006 said:

I don't think the cutscenes can be fixed on ultrawide without recreating them and they are real-time not pre-recorded. 

You will have to set the monitor to 16:9 mode if you want non stretched cutscenes.

weird thingt is that SH3 renders some cutscenes in real time so I don't know why it's stretched (I can understand for FMV but not for real time cutscenes) is there any technical explanation to this? thanks

Share this comment

2 hours ago, suicidalfailure said:

weird thingt is that SH3 renders some cutscenes in real time so I don't know why it's stretched (I can understand for FMV but not for real time cutscenes) is there any technical explanation to this? thanks

You can set "DecreaseFOVInCutscenes" to 0 in the ini but I don't think you will be happy with the result.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Steam006 said:

You can set "DecreaseFOVInCutscenes" to 0 in the ini but I don't think you will be happy with the result.

Thank you so much, it worked!! I noticed some "pop-ins" and stuff but I'm used to it since I have an ultrawide... Thanks again for the patch

Share this comment

I've got this trouble while using the fix (white menu and map). It's strange, I haven't seen it anywhere else. Please, help with this issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17YHj3tGXZmD05CvIfLQTnX0uD5QJxKZr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l61doGHheXxzAcJePicJkBux-FurawhL/view?usp=sharing

upd. everything is ok, I've reinstalled it.

Edited by hansen48

Share this comment

What's up? I am testing the mod and everything works fine except the widescreen, the game is 4:3 stretched to 16:9, what option can I modify to make it look ok?

Edited by xaxord

Share this comment