Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006

About This File

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless mode
Manual window positioning (For borderless windowed mode)
Disable Maximized Windowed Mode on newer Windows versions
Force VSync
Increase FOV
Decrease FOV in cutscenes
Display FMVs in 4:3 aspect ratio
Display FMVs in fullscreen
Disable safe mode
Options menu fix
Display 2D elements in 4:3
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field resolution increase
Shadow resolution increase
Inventory resolution increase
Status Screen resolution increase
Anisotropic Texture Filtering
Remove black bars
Remove borders in cutscenes
Modify fog complexity
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Restore missing dialogue sound
Restore beta sound
Achievements
Redirect registry values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
New save and load system
Support for Silent Hill 3 Trial Version
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Install:
1. Copy all the files to your Silent Hill 3 install folder.
2. Configure your options in Silent_Hill_3_PC_Fix.ini. (Optional)
3. Start the game with sh3.exe.

Credits:
07151129 - sh3proxy
WidescreenFixesPack team

Password:pcgw

What's New in Version 2.6.2   See changelog

Released

Update 2.6.2:
Added missing text in the sewer level (English)
Updated d3d9on12 to match latest github commits
Improved performance in the Silent Hill town
Fixed original game bug that could cause performance issues on some PCs
Bug fixes

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

19 hours ago, dancsi38 said:

probably your AV detected it as a false trojan and deleted the file and now Windows doesn't find it. Before starting dllinjector.exe, add the .exe file to you AV exclusion list/trusted application list.

That solved it! Thank you.

Share this comment

I have "WindowedMode = 0" and "Borderless = 0" but I think the game is still launching in borderless fullscreen as GSYNC works only when I set it to "Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode" and it doesn't work when set to "Enable for fullscreen mode".

EDIT: Nvm, I figured you need to set DisableMaximizedWindowedMode = 1, which should be the default imo.

Share this comment

Hi, I'm running into what seems to be an unsolvable problem. The injector is ofc detected as a trojan and upon extracting the zip file my laptop immediately deletes the file. I don't even have the time to search it up and add it to my AV exclusion list. One time I did the AV still refused to add it saying it was a harmful file. Now I can still run the game from the normal sh3.exe but every transition is messed up and there are menu problems etc.  How can I add this injector file? I can't do anything since it is immediately deleted automatically.

Share this comment

On 5/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, itdoesnotwork445 said:

Hi, I'm running into what seems to be an unsolvable problem. The injector is ofc detected as a trojan and upon extracting the zip file my laptop immediately deletes the file. I don't even have the time to search it up and add it to my AV exclusion list. One time I did the AV still refused to add it saying it was a harmful file. Now I can still run the game from the normal sh3.exe but every transition is messed up and there are menu problems etc.  How can I add this injector file? I can't do anything since it is immediately deleted automatically.

Hi,

Can you turn off the AV protection for like 2-3 minutes, the time that you extract the file from the zip, place it in the game's folder and add the .exe to the trusted application/exclusion list ?

While the AV is off, you can also try the SH3 fix by launching the DLLinjector.exe file and see if the fix is working for you. After that, you can re-enable the AV protection 🙂

Share this comment

@Steam006 Excuse me but the Anisotropic filter option doesn't seem to be working for me, do you know what factors could be causing this and how to fix the issue?

image.png

Share this comment

13 hours ago, arthandas said:

I don't see anything wrong with that image.

Oh no, the problem is there. Here is a comparison with PCSX2 emulation with anisotropic filtering set to x16. Look at the fence in the distance compared to the image above. : image.thumb.png.82eaf5689f3fd02c2e8afe03e10bcb0d.png

Share this comment

Can't seem to get this game to capture in OBS with Game Capture. Window capture does work when I disable "HookDX8". However the performance is incredibly poor. SH3 does work in OBS, I think this is a case of a modified EXE running SH3 EXE and OBS can't pick it up.

For people having issues with Windows Defender deleting files, turn off windows defender - 

Settings/

Update & Security/

Windows Security/

Virus & Threat Protection/

Virus & Threat Protection Settings/

Manage Settings/Real Time Protection - OFF

Exclusions - Add and Remove/

Add Exclusion - Folder your game is in. As a tip, download the file in that folder or HDD if you so choose to ignore the entire HDD.

Share this comment

22 hours ago, kirusei said:

Does this work with the EU version?

Yes, I have the EU version too (multi5) and the fix works fine. Make sure the dllinjector.exe is added to your antivirus trusted application list before launching it (and the game) (some AV detects it as a false trojan and deletes it).

Share this comment

On 5/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, iggy said:

Oh no, the problem is there. Here is a comparison with PCSX2 emulation with anisotropic filtering set to x16. Look at the fence in the distance compared to the image above. : image.thumb.png.82eaf5689f3fd02c2e8afe03e10bcb0d.png

On my PC with an Nvidia RTX 3080 it looks the same as your picture from PCSX2. Do you have an AMD GPU?

Share this comment

Hello, Steam006,

Is the DLL injector safe? Will it affect my windows system 32 library or mess with any sensitive system files? I have little knowledge of DLL injectors, but do know that they're usually used to distribute malware or trojans. I am very skeptical of DLL injectors in general, but am willing to use this if you can give me some indication that it is safe and won't harm my system. Or that I can uninstall it safely if things don't work out. Just give me your word it won't harm my computer.

Anyone else who can tell me would also be welcome, too. Thank you in advance, I appreciate it.

Share this comment

On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, trinitylord9000 said:

Hello, Steam006,

Is the DLL injector safe? Will it affect my windows system 32 library or mess with any sensitive system files? I have little knowledge of DLL injectors, but do know that they're usually used to distribute malware or trojans. I am very skeptical of DLL injectors in general, but am willing to use this if you can give me some indication that it is safe and won't harm my system. Or that I can uninstall it safely if things don't work out. Just give me your word it won't harm my computer.

Anyone else who can tell me would also be welcome, too. Thank you in advance, I appreciate it.

I've been using the DLLInjector for over a year now, have not had any issues regarding malware/trojans. The file does set off a false positive from Windows Security though.

Share this comment

On 4/30/2021 at 2:54 AM, arthandas said:

Can you at least do something about shadows glitching out like this?

sh3 2021-04-30 11-45-45-135.png

This is just the nature of the engine. You get weird shadow "glitches" like this on PCSX2 as well. We just never noticed it when playing on the PS2 because the resolution is really bad. This is a game that came out in 2003, what do you expect

Share this comment

4 hours ago, sufu said:

This is just the nature of the engine.

No, it's not. SH2 runs on the same engine and the shadows are fine. Also, I doubt the original PS2 version has this bug. It's clearly a PC-specific "feature", and as proven by SH2EE, it's possible to have better soft shadows than even the original console versions.

Share this comment

22 hours ago, yoink000 said:

I've been using the DLLInjector for over a year now, have not had any issues regarding malware/trojans. The file does set off a false positive from Windows Security though.

Ok, and you haven't notice the file itself messing with any registry keys in your computer? And have you tried uninstalling it? Thanks. I don't know if it's compatible on it, but I'm gonna backup my Windows XP laptop and give it a try on there. Since that's my only windows laptop, and I love that old thing. Maybe it'll be okay, and maybe I'll see if anything gets changed.

Share this comment

I've been doing my own research over the last few days, and I've even scanned the individual files from this patch in virustotal. The ini's and dll's get flagged as malware as well, but the dllinjector especially has a lot of red flags by the site. I know everyone here says they are false positives, even the author, but that's a lot of false positives. 41 out of 69 false positives on virus total to be exact. When I checked the report for the DLLinjector.exe of this patch, the fishiest thing I saw was when I looked under behavior in Virustotal, it read that the executable "deleted certain registry keys" in the computer relating to "performance". I'm not sure what to make of that, but the registry is the most vital part of any windows operating system. If anyone has an explanation for this, including Steam006, I'd appreciate it. 

I know it sounds crazy, but I am trying to be safe. As I said, I'm a very skeptical person when it comes to red flags under antivirus, so please excuse me if I don't immediately trust this. I really am just looking to enable vsync on Silent Hill 3, and as long as I get some answers then I'm good.

Share this comment

On 7/29/2021 at 4:24 PM, yoink000 said:

If you don't mind, I do find it a little peculiar that you'd create a new profile just to respond to me.

Share this comment

19 hours ago, arthandas said:

No, it's not. SH2 runs on the same engine and the shadows are fine. Also, I doubt the original PS2 version has this bug. It's clearly a PC-specific "feature", and as proven by SH2EE, it's possible to have better soft shadows than even the original console versions.

no they're not. I play this both on pcsx2 and pc and the shadows are both exactly the same. the shadows look better in ps2 because the resolution is so low compared to playing this on upscaled 4k or 1080p. if you honestly want to keep fighting me on this i can actually take a screenshot on pcsx2.

Share this comment

On 7/30/2021 at 7:06 AM, sufu said:

This is just the nature of the engine. You get weird shadow "glitches" like this on PCSX2 as well. We just never noticed it when playing on the PS2 because the resolution is really bad. This is a game that came out in 2003, what do you expect

It's actually self-shadowing. And it's done pretty well on the PS2 hardware. Just check this out, guys:

w7thICh.jpg

LrWVRmR.jpg

ZbF9BHP.jpg

Wci6Vt0.jpg

ttTfb6E.jpg

V066Z50.jpg

4ZW1SXn.jpg

yo3FKhU.jpg

fjy6wO8.jpg

So the only problem here is the PC-port. You see, shadows in games perceived correctly to the human eye (and, therefore, to the mind) only if they are soft shadows. Unfortunately this PC port lacks those. And PCSX2 emulation still not perfect. So that's why those "sharp" PC/emulation shadows on Heather seems to people like glitches.

Share this comment