Funkerwolf

6 hours ago, Mirh said:

Ehrm.. My own limited tests picture another situation.

It's not super fair to compare dedicated soundcards to a Realtek (even though, this fared relatively good here) but benchmarks made already under Vista shows Creative has more to share with the latter category. So.. I'm wondering how much this is up to the driver, and how much actually the OS. Are you sure all enhancements are disabled? Are the outputs all set to stereo? And could you try normal 16-bit @ 44.1/48 khz?

Then I'm also no psychologist, but I feel like you really seem *hoping* too much into clueless explanations (no, Dolby just team up for multi-channel endeavors) 

Hide contents

ALC887--->Xonar DX

RMAA.png.56d30592ba68eb995e32cdd7903b966a.pngALC887-->ALC887

RMAA2.PNG.5c33cb476f7f42a8fbd85161f254a564.PNG

(full disclosure: I didn't post other results, because noise in the garbled mess of cables I have behind my computer is killer)

Its lol. 16 bit mode should not be used as it adds noise (dither) for smoothing (quantization feature associated with to reproduce a material of lower bit depth on a higher bit depth of the sound card) Try it yourself to listen to something trite in the 16-bit sound card mode and in 24-bit (but this does not apply to the source of the sound, music or other recordings there ... ). In moments of pause and transition from silence to loud sounds, there will be such background noise similar to telephone.  Specifically now, of course, I already have no opportunity to retest this all again. But I think the other day I will repeat the experiments with another laptop. In general, for the purity of the experiment, I would put windows 7 on my PC, where xonar dx is installed, but it’s hard to install this rudimentary on current platforms (kaby lake). Of course, deviations are possible that the drivers have some kind of fixes for the seven and other magic, but in my case the drivers were the same everywhere with the same conditions.

You are really presenting just too.. odd interpretations.

First of all, I'm not even sure how physically sound cards could be "full" 24-bit, considering I'm not aware of hardware even approaching the complete 144dB dynamic range.

Second Windows automatically outputs 16-bit (even if 24 bit is selected) if the source is 16-bit. Legitly.

Third, and most of all, there are people with thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment, that still couldn't find differences from the lowest 16/44.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary_talk:Sound#x16_bit_is_just_good_2534

On 2/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Mirh said:

Second Windows automatically outputs 16-bit (even if 24 bit is selected) if the source is 16-bit. Legitly. 

I don't think this is really the case any longer, based on my testing with my Hi-Res Audio certified DAC and headset.

That DAC have a visual indicator that showcases what sample rate and bit depth, and in shared mode it will _always_ output as the selected format according to what I've selected in the Advanced tab of the output device (24 bit, 96 000 Hz). In exclusive mode through WASAPI it'll output whatever format is configured in the player, regardless of the source itself (tested and verified using Foobar2k and the foo_out_wasapi plugin.