Race Driver : Grid - 6 & 8 thread CPUs fix & Resolution Fix

About This File

Now presenting... 
GridMTFix

A Race Driver: Grid Multithread Fix.

A little insight
The game was launched on 2008, just prior to Intel's Sandy Bridge Core microarchitecture , which more or less marked a milestone on multithreading as we all know it nowadays. So given that circunstance, the game already has support for 2 and 4 cores CPU, mostly from the Dual and Quad Core era. It even has a non-working 8 core support implemented (in fact, the 8 core worker map file is there, but the game won't make use of it on modern hardware and implements it weirdly).

EGO engine it has been vastly used on several titles from Codemasters, so I did a little investigation on other EGO 1.0 and 1.5 titles, and came up with a fix for that 8 core workermap. Upon testing, I realized that the workermap could be extrapolated to more cores, so I made several other worker map files to support 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 and 32 cores. I don't really know how much better the game will perform, but at least It won't hurt as much as being only using 4 cores max.

Also, this method fixes several other hardware detection problems as:

• Improper resolution detection
  • Improper system internal rating
  • Adds more granularity on the graphics settings

What exactly does this fix?

Well, it downloads Steamless , NTCore's Patcher to patch the EXE file, then downloads my modded files, and copies my fix xml files to your game's system folder, and then using a template, will detect your CPU's logical cores, and create a personalized hardware restriction file, to make your the game uses the most amount of cores possible. 

Important Requirement
This scripts is (v0.2.1) online, so it will download the necesary files to patch your game, and then clean the installation. So an online connection is needed to apply the patch now

• GOG Release / Retail versions / Zoom Release

Gog release is already DRMless, so you only have to apply the 4GB LAA Patch. Use NTCore's 4GB Patch tool to patch the exe file and you are good to continue with the other steps of this document.

Use the v0.2.1 release now, be sure to select the GOG exe. It will automatically patch the exe file with the NTCore 4GB patch, and apply the MTFix.

• Steam Release

Steam release has DRM, so if you apply the 4GB LAA Patch to it, it will fail. You have to remove it's DRM using atom0s Steamless tool and then, use the NTCore's 4GB Patch tool to patch the exe file. It's mandatory doing it in this exact order. Then, continue with this instructions.

Use the v0.2.1 release now, be sure to select the Steam exe. It will automatically remove the DRM with Steamless, patch the exe file with the NTCore 4GB patch, and apply the MTFix.

How to apply the fix
If you already have the requirements above done, the fix is easy to apply.

1-Download the fix

Download the file "GridMTFix_XXX.exe" (being XXX your selected flavour) and paste it on the main Race Driver Grid folder, just near the grid.exe file.

The other zip files from the download are for backup purposes. Ignore them.

2-Execute GridMTFix_XXX.exe
Let it do its things

3-Run the game and reconfigure it.
Your settings should be gone. Set them up again.

If everything works, you can now play Race Driver: Grid making the most out of your hardware.

* Strong Recommendation
I really encourage you to pair this fix with DXVK from Doitsujin if your GPU is Vulkan capable. On my system I go from 180fps in race with D3D9 to 285fps with Vulkan. Give it a try!!

Check my Github for more info, this script is open source!

What's New in Version v0.2.1   See changelog

Released

Same as v0.2 but with a little bugfix:

• Fixed backup detection, now it will properly create a backup of the exe file and detect it again in case you reapply the fix.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@xator The game started immediately when installed on my server with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. This was the same steam version I used on my workstation.

I guess the solution is to make a fresh install on my workstation unless you can think of anything that could've gone wrong over time. I don't expect you to though 🙂

Share this comment

Sadly, it seems it is something from your system that I cannot pinpoint. I would, as a last resort, check the task manager and try to close as much processes as I could, at least to match those on your server, and then try to run the game. 

If it's not working either, then, I guess you can try to clean install.

Share this comment

29 minutes ago, xator said:

Sadly, it seems it is something from your system that I cannot pinpoint. I would, as a last resort, check the task manager and try to close as much processes as I could, at least to match those on your server, and then try to run the game. 

If it's not working either, then, I guess you can try to clean install.

I already did something similar to this. I closed any non-essential processes and stopped any services I could.

I have a 2TB NVMe drive I'm going to swap to eventually, running on a 1TB 2.5" SSD currently. I guess I can do that sooner rather than later. The real problem is making room for the backup since my storage drive is near capacity as well... but I did that yesterday. Also, if I'm changing to another drive I can do the backup in bits.

Share this comment

16 hours ago, AtotehZ said:

I already did something similar to this. I closed any non-essential processes and stopped any services I could.

I have a 2TB NVMe drive I'm going to swap to eventually, running on a 1TB 2.5" SSD currently. I guess I can do that sooner rather than later. The real problem is making room for the backup since my storage drive is near capacity as well... but I did that yesterday. Also, if I'm changing to another drive I can do the backup in bits.

Post your results whenever you finish reinstalling 🙂

Share this comment

On 5/10/2023 at 12:57 PM, xator said:

Post your results whenever you finish reinstalling 🙂

Haven't forgotten you. When I get to it I'll post updates and I'll tell you:

1) If it works on a new installation.

2) If it bricks the game again as I fill on the different programs and settings I currently have.

Maybe we'll figure out what caused it.

Share this comment

Hi guys, I had an issue with the game crashing into the desktop.
Installed all the modification, still nothing...
Back to the basic...
I went and installed DX9c and All the C++ Redistributable Versions + OpenAL (re-installed)... [IT DID THE TRICK.]
You can find both DX9c and C++ Redistributable on the TechpowerUp website, bundled with a bat file for easier installation.

[System specs: Windows 11, 1080p, Dual Monitor, 3070 GPU, i7 6700 CPU]

I hope this information be useful for everyone. o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ブ

--- BTW, I also found out if you have Firefox/LibreWolf running, game crashes to desktop after GRID logo.
--- update: any audio output from any program causes the game to crash. [Media Player, Foobar2000, Firefox/Chrome on (youtube)... Discord... ]

Share this comment

Hello. I've got the Steam version of the game and this fix is just the thing I needed, but there is a catch.

I applied the Steamless method to remove the Steam DRM so that I could apply the 4GB patch. Everything went well but there are graphical issues in the game. No matter what graphic setting I turn to the max level, the game looks like it's running on the 1366x768 resolution mode. And before any of you asks what resolution I'm running the game on, it's 1920x1080 with 8xmsaa. Is there a solution for this?

Share this comment

12 hours ago, playerone428 said:

Hello. I've got the Steam version of the game and this fix is just the thing I needed, but there is a catch.

I applied the Steamless method to remove the Steam DRM so that I could apply the 4GB patch. Everything went well but there are graphical issues in the game. No matter what graphic setting I turn to the max level, the game looks like it's running on 1366x768 mode. And before any of you asks what resolution I'm running the game on 1920x1080 with 8xmsaa. Is there a solution for this?

That doesn't seem an issue with the patch. I think it might be something related to the HighDPI from windows? Try in the exe properties, selecting Override High DPI to Application:
windows-10-manually-change-dpi-scaling.jpg?fit=720%2C720&p=1

Share this comment

On 5/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, six6vi said:

Hi guys, I had an issue with the game crashing into the desktop.
Installed all the modification, still nothing...
Back to the basic...
I went and installed DX9c and All the C++ Redistributable Versions + OpenAL (re-installed)... [IT DID THE TRICK.]
You can find both DX9c and C++ Redistributable on the TechpowerUp website, bundled with a bat file for easier installation.

[System specs: Windows 11, 1080p, Dual Monitor, 3070 GPU, i7 6700 CPU]

I hope this information be useful for everyone. o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ブ

--- BTW, I also found out if you have Firefox/LibreWolf running, game crashes to desktop after GRID logo.
--- update: any audio output from any program causes the game to crash. [Media Player, Foobar2000, Firefox/Chrome on (youtube)... Discord... ]

I got on a Discord call with a music bot to keep playing audio, played an audio file using VLC and also played a video on YouTube in Firefiox simultaneously in the background while I ran the game in the foreground. I didn't have any issues. I also did some races while all the audio sources were actvely playing.

The only modification I did other than this patching is disabled the replay recording by removing the CREATOR OWNER's permission from the place where the replays are saved. Other than that, the game should be unchanged.

I think it's your system that's having some issues. Maybe some dependency was not installed properly, or your audio drivers are having issues.

Share this comment

12 hours ago, playerone428 said:

I applied the Steamless method to remove the Steam DRM so that I could apply the 4GB patch. Everything went well but there are graphical issues in the game. No matter what graphic setting I turn to the max level, the game looks like it's running on 1366x768 mode. And before any of you asks what resolution I'm running the game on 1920x1080 with 8xmsaa. Is there a solution for this?

Go to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings an open the file named "hardware_settings_config.xml" with a text editor.

In line number 10, you should see the following

<resolution width="1920" height="1080" aspect="16:9" fullscreen="true" vsync="0" oldWidth="1920" oldHeight="1080">

Change the values of width, height, aspect, oldWidth and oldHeight to your display's values and save it. Now the game should launch in your display's native resolution.

Share this comment

Hey @xator, hope you're well. Sorry to bother you again months later.

I have gathered so much money in the game that it's gone into negative. I was able to hire new team-mates even with this negative value, but it seems like it's not letting me anymore. Is there a way to fix it?

I already tried Cheat Engine, but the game closes/crashes when I launch Cheat Engine. So I can't even scan the game's process. I have attached my savefile too if it helps.

Insufficient-Funds.thumb.png.8c841c94dee931fc699964c56a6c9aac.png

savegame.zip

Share this comment

(This post is trash, please pretend it doesn't exist, my game still doesn't work no matter fyi I just hate getting any attention)

Share this comment

2 hours ago, gridanon said:

(This post is trash, please pretend it doesn't exist, my game still doesn't work no matter fyi I just hate getting any attention)

What version? GOG? Steam? What's the error? 

Share this comment

20 hours ago, xator said:

What version? GOG? Steam? What's the error? 

both Steam and GOG(I've tried), It simply crashes after the splash screen no matter what I do, I've tried reinstalling openAL, using your fix(multiple times in fact, I have been monitoring the progress of this fix for quite some time) and the strangest thing is, the game used to work normally out of the box without having to use any extra methods, I am literally on the same system with the same OS but one day after beating the game it just started to refuse to launch after the splash screen. 

Share this comment

14 hours ago, gridanon said:

both Steam and GOG(I've tried), It simply crashes after the splash screen no matter what I do, I've tried reinstalling openAL, using your fix(multiple times in fact, I have been monitoring the progress of this fix for quite some time) and the strangest thing is, the game used to work normally out of the box without having to use any extra methods, I am literally on the same system with the same OS but one day after beating the game it just started to refuse to launch after the splash screen. 

What are your specs? CPU, GPU, OS Version...bla bla bla.
Also, After applying my fix, are you sure that it is correctly applied? there should be a grid.bak inside the game's main folder. And also, you should see workerMap32Core.xml file inside Grid/system folder. 

Share this comment

Hello, I have bought a physical version of racedriver grid but what happens to me is that when I enter the grid world after a few moments it freezes and then closes, is there a solution for this?
(I'm using an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU with windows 11)

(at the end of the video is when crashes)

Share this comment

2 hours ago, alexer1080 said:

Hello, I have bought a physical version of racedriver grid but what happens to me is that when I enter the grid world after a few moments it freezes and then closes, is there a solution for this?
(I'm using an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU with windows 11)

(at the end of the video is when crashes)

Have you applied the GridMTFix succesfully and this still crashes? Also, have you updated the retail version to latest version? I think it's 1.3 

Ok, I've gotten some work done to support the patch on Retail releases. You can download my newer mod: GridGogger. I've added a specific version to support Retail Race Driver Grid, updated to v1.3. (please, update your retail game to v1.3, you have the update patch on my readme and on the PCGWiki's page)

it's mainly the same GridMTFix, but it converts the exe file to the GOG release, without any DRM, making it smaller, applying the LLAwareness patch to support +4GB of RAM, and on top of this, applies GridMTFix to make it multicore and fixing several bugs. So yeah, give it a try and let me know how it goes. 🙂

Share this comment

Okay so I downloaded the GOG version from internet archive, and for the last few hours I've been trying to get it to run. I even downloaded the exe file to make this work, however for some reason it still keeps crashing. If I don't run it as administrator, then it will just crash right before the start of the first race. If I do, then it will let me play the first race, but then crash after I finish it and hit continue. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, other than not seeing a grid.bak in my folder. Laptop specs:
AMD Ryzen 7735HS
GeForce RTX 4060
64GB DDR5 RAM

Edit: Okay so little update, I did get it to work... for like one race after the intro race. And then bam, infinite loading screen. Still don't know what to do.

Edit 2: Now it's just crashing whenever I try to do a classic muscle car race, with the audio glitching out like crazy in San Francisco.

Share this comment

17 hours ago, brawlar said:

Okay so I downloaded the GOG version from internet archive, and for the last few hours I've been trying to get it to run. I even downloaded the exe file to make this work, however for some reason it still keeps crashing. If I don't run it as administrator, then it will just crash right before the start of the first race. If I do, then it will let me play the first race, but then crash after I finish it and hit continue. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, other than not seeing a grid.bak in my folder. Laptop specs:
AMD Ryzen 7735HS
GeForce RTX 4060
64GB DDR5 RAM

Edit: Okay so little update, I did get it to work... for like one race after the intro race. And then bam, infinite loading screen. Still don't know what to do.

Edit 2: Now it's just crashing whenever I try to do a classic muscle car race, with the audio glitching out like crazy in San Francisco.

HI there, let's see:

You are using a fully unmodded GOG release, clean. Then apply the GOG release of GridMTFix here . If the script runs correctly, you should have a BAK file from the exe, and also, inside the SYSTEM folder, you should have workerMapCore files till 32 core. Check if that's the case.

If all of it seems fine, please, share here the config file of the game that your system has on "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml".

Also, to be sure that you have OpenAl correctly installed, as it is needed for the game, place this dll inside the game folder, near the EXE file.

I'll be waiting your post 🙂

OpenAL32.dll

Share this comment

Hi @xator, could you please tell me how to fix a little bug when I race there is no drivers in the car, when I downloaded the game for the first time on Internet Archive I was able to see the drivers inside but no more. I also want to know where in my pc are the profile save data so I can have another back up if I start installing updrades or patches. Thank you for still giving support to this amazing game.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, chelomm said:

Hi @xator, could you please tell me how to fix a little bug when I race there is no drivers in the car, when I downloaded the game for the first time on Internet Archive I was able to see the drivers inside but no more. I also want to know where in my pc are the profile save data so I can have another back up if I start installing updrades or patches. Thank you for still giving support to this amazing game.

Hi tehre @chelomm. Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding your issue of dissappearing drivers... What mods have you installed in your game? Or is it just on a clean installed game with GridMTFix applied? Also, post your system settings.

Share this comment

10 hours ago, xator said:

Hi tehre @chelomm. Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding your issue of dissappearing drivers... What mods have you installed in your game? Or is it just on a clean installed game with GridMTFix applied? Also, post your system settings.

Hi, I have no mods installed just added the dlcs to the already created carpet and today already installed the GridMTFix but theres no drivers inside the car still also the driving steering wheel in the doesn't turn when I move from left to right it is static (I add some pictures of this error or bug) like said this wasn't happening the first days of play just when I entered the game couple of months later. I also teak the action map 3 to be able to use my Logitech Driving Force GT, but its just changing Logitech Driving Force for Logitech Driving Force GT.

I have Asus ROG Rx 5700 Xt, Ryzen 3600, Asus ROG B550 Gaming Wifi, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 11 Pro. 

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.28.15_20e43bbb.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.28.05_17710ad0.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.22.28_59e9e4f4.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.22.28_752e6d5c.jpg

Share this comment

10 hours ago, chelomm said:

Hi, I have no mods installed just added the dlcs to the already created carpet and today already installed the GridMTFix but theres no drivers inside the car still also the driving steering wheel in the doesn't turn when I move from left to right it is static (I add some pictures of this error or bug) like said this wasn't happening the first days of play just when I entered the game couple of months later. I also teak the action map 3 to be able to use my Logitech Driving Force GT, but its just changing Logitech Driving Force for Logitech Driving Force GT.

I have Asus ROG Rx 5700 Xt, Ryzen 3600, Asus ROG B550 Gaming Wifi, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 11 Pro. 

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.28.15_20e43bbb.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.28.05_17710ad0.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.22.28_59e9e4f4.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-05-01 a las 15.22.28_752e6d5c.jpg

Well, First of all.. check that you have graphics settings on high or ultra. If that's the case and it's still happening, try to install the game clean, and put GRIDMTFIX or GRIDGOGGER, but do not install anything else. No DLCS. And try again to see if there's something wrong with the DLC files.

Also, could you share here the file "hardware_settings_config.xml" from the folder "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml" to see what is your game detecting? 

Thanks

Share this comment

On 5/2/2024 at 2:57 AM, xator said:

Well, First of all.. check that you have graphics settings on high or ultra. If that's the case and it's still happening, try to install the game clean, and put GRIDMTFIX or GRIDGOGGER, but do not install anything else. No DLCS. And try again to see if there's something wrong with the DLC files.

Also, could you share here the file "hardware_settings_config.xml" from the folder "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml" to see what is your game detecting? 

Thanks

Yeah thanks I just had to change the graphics settings and work fine.

Share this comment