About This File

TL;DR

This fix makes Mass Effect use raw mouse input and removes the game's mouse acceleration. It is easy to install and use and does not require any external configuration.

Quick start guide:

1. Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\"
  2. Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Steam or Origin

Features

While the mouse controls are pretty responsive, the first Mass Effect suffers from mouse acceleration, which cannot be turned off via the ingame settings or with the usual approaches for other Unreal Engine 3 games. This fix removes the acceleration by acquiring raw mouse input and injecting it directly into the game's input function.

Its features include:

• Raw mouse input
  • No additional smoothing or positive/negative mouse acceleration
  • Configuration via the ingame settings as usual
  • Simple installation and usage without any external configuration

Instructions

Supported Versions

This mod is designed for the latest, fully patched versions of the game and might not work when used with older or otherwise modified executables.

• Steam
  • Origin
  • Retail v1.02

Install

The mod does not make any permanent changes to the game or to Windows and can easily be removed.

1. Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\"
  2. Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Steam or Origin

Uninstall

1. Remove or rename the dinput8.dll from the folder of the game.

Known Issues

There are currently no known issues with the mod.

Additional Information

Antivirus Software

Since this mod consists of an executable DLL file that uses "hacking techniques" such as injection and hooking, it could be classified as malicious by antivirus software. In that case, it might be necessary to add an exception rule to the scanner.

If you lack the trust in random people on the internet -- and I would not blame you -- feel free to use a meta online virus scanner like VirusTotal to verify the file.

Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors

To increase the compatibility with other mods or injectors that are using a wrapper DLL, this fix offers two methods for remote loading of additional files. Note that there might still be compatibility issues between the different fixes, mods or injectors that have nothing to do with the loading process.

File method:

The mod will load another dinput8.dll automatically if it has the name dinput8_Remote.dll. Just rename the DLL you want to load accordingly. Using this method will lead to an error if the renamed DLL is not itself a dinput8.dll.

Folder method:

The mod will also automatically load all DLLs regardless of their names in a dinput8_Remote sub-directory. Just create a corresponding folder in the install directory of the mod. This is the only way to load multiple (conflicting) files.

Contact And Support

If you like this mod and want to support the development or show your appreciation with a donation, you can find more information on my website. There you can also find out more about other mods that I have done and means to contact me if you have a question, want to provide feedback, bug reports and suggestions.

What's New in Version 1.1   See changelog

Released

• Fixed compatibility issues with certain mods and tools

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

For some reason I can't change the mouse sensitivity to anything beyond REALLY Low to just Low. 0 sensitivity allows me turn a whopping 45 degrees before hitting the edge of my mousepad, and 100 only cranks that up to a measly 170 degrees.

I've tried going into the config files in my Documents be none of the sensitivity or scaler options seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?

Share this comment

Hate to nag but if possible a fix for legendary edition would be great. At least for Mass Effect 1 there is no current fix after almost 2 months after release.

Share this comment