Proposal: Nintendo Controller Support

al2009man

Been learning how to do PCGamingWiki Template:Input for a while. So, while I was working on updating SteamInput and preparing to implement "Gamepad Motion Sensor" support, I was wondering if...down in the road: I wanna propose adding Nintendo Controller field for the sake of completion-ness.

As of this writing: anything related to Nintendo Controller is resided on Others/Generic Controller...but I understand. Nintendo Controllers, specifically: Nintendo Switch Controllers is rarely supported and the vast majority of games don't ship with it...

however: if using Unreal Engine 4/5's RawInpt plugin: an Nintendo Switch controller can be supported. if using Unity's Input System or using Rewired plugin: an Nintendo Switch controller support can be supported. If using SDL_GameController (SDL2/SDL3): an Nintendo Controller Type is automatically supported (the button prompt portion and button layout is manual work, tho). Hell; outside of Windows OS: a Nintendo Switch controller is natively supported on either MacOS or Linux kernels. If using Steam Input API, if done correctly: a Nintendo Switch controller is natively supported. Heck: emulators supports it.

So, the way how I'll plan to include Nintendo Controller will be a bit of a merge between "XInput-compatible Controller" and "PlayStation Controller", here's my planned format 

• Nintendo controllers - Will be listing major Nintendo Controller types (this will be based on SDL HIDAPI) , most commonly: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons, Nintendo Wii Remote (with or without Nunchuk), Nintendo Wiimote Plus (with or without Nunchuk), Nintendo GameCube Controller, etc. 
  • Nintendo button prompts - Will be listing supported Controller prompts. (As Nintendo controllers often does with a reversed button layout, this should be considered.
  • HD Rumble Support (Nintendo Switch only) - Will be listed if the game uses HD Rumble functionality.*
  • Connection modes - WIll be listing possible connection modes that the game can detect. Bluetooth appears to be the most common supported, in context of third-party controllers.

*note: HD Rumbles are more of a equivalent to Steam Controller rumbles than DualSense's.

you can provide feedback for this, and what needs to be change or added upon.  

For now: I will be planning to work on this after getting the pull request for both "Field for manual switching of controller button prompts in Input" and "Expanding Tracked motion sensor" additions merged.