Proposal: Expand "Tracked motion sensor" Glossary to better highlight Gamepads with Motion Sensor functions.

al2009man

Right now, the Tracked motion controllers makes it seems like it's an Input method highly focused around Virtual Reality while Traditional Gamepads are an afterthought, but with newer non-VR PC Games starting to use Motion sensor functions (either Natively, using Steam Input API's Camera game action or via Emulator). With SDL2 and Yuzu and more recently; Cemu officially supporting Motion Sensors [without the use of Input Mappers], I think it may be a good time to revise it.

Right now, there's a small selection of PC Games that is officially known to support Motion Sensor functions in a native function (either by Gyro Aim or "gimmicks"), usually for PlayStation Controllers.

• Boomerang X
  • Days Gone
  • Doom Classic Unity port (DOOM 1 and DOOM 2)
  • Paladins
  • Rogue Company
  • Death Stranding
  • Flower
  • Heavy Rain
  • Beyond: Two Souls

But if we include Games that already uses Steam Input API's game action system, the list start to grow and suddenly: Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers and Steam Controllers are added to the list while allowing me to add more games like...Spin Rhythm XD, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD, Portal 2, Prey (2017 video game), Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered, and Left 4 Dead 2. The last one also happens to have Gyro Aiming enabled by default, with a exception for Xbox Controllers.

I wonder, Do you think it's possible to expand "Tracked Motion Controllers" Glossary to highlight more stuffs. I would like to see highlights on Input Mappers (such as JoyShockMapper), how to get them working in Emulators, building a list of games that natively uses Motion Sensor functions? 

It could make things a bit easier for future PC Games that may add Motion Sensor support in the longterm without resorting it to "DualShock 4 Controllers" page. Right now, I can't use "Tracked motion controllers" on Days Gone's PCGamingWiki page despite officially support Gyro Aiming.

oh, and add Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to the list. 

There are two things I can add to this topic:
• Currently, there is no distinction between cameras and controllers in the "Tracked motion controllers" field. This makes the field even harder to populate properly.
• I've been hoping for a Sixaxis-type motion control subfield to be added to the "DualShock 4 controller support" field, although it wouldn't surprise me if those PCGW members with permissions to edit APIs, were to think the DS4 is old news by now.

Both those things are temporarily handled by https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_tracked_motion_controllers_in_non-VR_gameplay in the meantime.

I am however very much unsure how to treat games with Nintendo Switch Pro Controller motion control support.

2 hours ago, Dandelion Sprout said:

There are two things I can add to this topic:
• Currently, there is no distinction between cameras and controllers in the "Tracked motion controllers" field. This makes the field even harder to populate properly.
• I've been hoping for a Sixaxis-type motion control subfield to be added to the "DualShock 4 controller support" field, although it wouldn't surprise me if those PCGW members with permissions to edit APIs, were to think the DS4 is old news by now.

1. I'm thinking using State as a way to tell how the game uses Motion Sensors. Like "Camera" or "Gesture" state, or maybe both at the same time.

2. in a different thread, I suggested changing the name of the field to "PlayStation Controllers" as there are a few PC games that retroactively support the DualSense Controller prior to PS5's eventual release, probably under "Backwards Compatibility". I can confirm that with some of the games that is known to have DualShock 4 Support but didn't receive an update to add DualSense Support.

I'm guessing it's because they're using Sony's own API (accessible thru PlayStation Partner Dev) that allows them to take full advantage of the Controller's feature-sets*, and you can verify that if you head over to the Game's Control settings, but I can't guarantee that. (that may explains why the Doom Classic Unity port [on PC] tells you that only Gyro Aim works on DualShock 4 Controllers, despite Steam Controller and Switch Controllers already having the same capabilities.)

*Raw Input or Windows.Gaming.Input API does not count. they don't support the more advanced feature-sets, yet.

Both those things are temporarily handled by https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_tracked_motion_controllers_in_non-VR_gameplay in the meantime.

I am however very much unsure how to treat games with Nintendo Switch Pro Controller motion control support.

I do know that Spin Rhythm XD devs previously demonstrated Switch Pro Controller's Motion Controls function on the PC Version, I'm guessed they used Steam Input API to make it work.

Speaking of Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers: As of this writing: the current devbuild of SDL2 added Sensor API support for both Nintendo Switch Pro and Joycons (special thanks to Jibb Smart of JoyShockMapper fame), I wouldn't be surprised to see proper Switch Pro Controller support with Motion Sensor functions in future PC Games, but I believe it's unlikely in the short-term.

Regardless, I suggest taking Steam Input API into account when it comes to listing a set list of games, as SIAPI relies on game actions over Button Inputs or a specific Controller Type. (I suggest reading this article for more info.)

Because of that: both Steam Controller and Nintendo Switch Pro Controller can easily support the same gesture controls in Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Death Stranding, as they use Steam Input API alongside the traditional Gamepad APIs.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's been two years since Fortnite added native Gyro Aiming support.

Since then, we've starting to see the slow rise of games adding Gyro Aiming support (usually PlayStation Controllers only), such as, and i'm going by recent order

• Helldivers 2
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster*
  • The Finals
  • No Man's Sky (technically no, but I think you can use a mod that exposes Gyro Aim features...otherwise: it'll rely on Simultaneous Inputs instead.)
  • Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion*
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • Call of Duty HQ (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3, specifically: the reboot trilogy)
  • Genshin Impact
  • Quake 2 Remastered*
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake 
  • Deathloop
  • Tchia 

*Editor's Note: out of 11 games, 3 of them has Gyro Aim support beyond PlayStation Controllers, as they use SDL to handle Controller Support. Please keep that info in mind.

you might've noticed that half of the games in the list are the most popular or highly praised games (sans the "unoptimized" part), especially when Helldivers 2 is, as of this writing: the most popular Steam game of February/March 2024 and supports Gyro Aim. 

I'm starting to believe we're going to see more PC and PS5 games starting to supply Gyro Aim support, I think it might be a good time to start working on expanding the section, right now: the temporary wiki section requires far more manual work compared to automatic sheet method.

• 1 month later...

One month later: I took matter into my own hands. 

I've spend one week learning the wiki systems (aka copy-pasting my way thru): I've able to implement it myself alongside a feature request.

image.thumb.png.4cda606f5ac86dc5d923881ce51354bb.png

Right now: it'll be structured similarly to how "PlayStation Controller Models" works, you can assign either "Gesture", "Camera" or "Cursor", that also means there's a bunch of values you can put and each will work. you can check the sandbox environment if you wanna see how it works.

image.png?ex=662f0c57&is=661c9757&hm=f7e60a2228c51e3f1e1009feae935503ae5bb636aa30cc3f248cedc269dabd9b&=

hopefully, by the time I wrap all of this up: this will finally be added to the template collection.