Race Driver : Grid - 6 & 8 thread CPUs fix & Resolution Fix

About This File

Now presenting... 
GridMTFix

A Race Driver: Grid Multithread Fix.

A little insight
The game was launched on 2008, just prior to Intel's Sandy Bridge Core microarchitecture , which more or less marked a milestone on multithreading as we all know it nowadays. So given that circunstance, the game already has support for 2 and 4 cores CPU, mostly from the Dual and Quad Core era. It even has a non-working 8 core support implemented (in fact, the 8 core worker map file is there, but the game won't make use of it on modern hardware and implements it weirdly).

EGO engine it has been vastly used on several titles from Codemasters, so I did a little investigation on other EGO 1.0 and 1.5 titles, and came up with a fix for that 8 core workermap. Upon testing, I realized that the workermap could be extrapolated to more cores, so I made several other worker map files to support 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 and 32 cores. I don't really know how much better the game will perform, but at least It won't hurt as much as being only using 4 cores max.

Also, this method fixes several other hardware detection problems as:

• Improper resolution detection
  • Improper system internal rating
  • Adds more granularity on the graphics settings

What exactly does this fix?

Well, it downloads Steamless , NTCore's Patcher to patch the EXE file, then downloads my modded files, and copies my fix xml files to your game's system folder, and then using a template, will detect your CPU's logical cores, and create a personalized hardware restriction file, to make your the game uses the most amount of cores possible. 

Important Requirement
This scripts is (v0.2.1) online, so it will download the necesary files to patch your game, and then clean the installation. So an online connection is needed to apply the patch now

• GOG Release / Retail versions / Zoom Release

Gog release is already DRMless, so you only have to apply the 4GB LAA Patch. Use NTCore's 4GB Patch tool to patch the exe file and you are good to continue with the other steps of this document.

Use the v0.2.1 release now, be sure to select the GOG exe. It will automatically patch the exe file with the NTCore 4GB patch, and apply the MTFix.

• Steam Release

Steam release has DRM, so if you apply the 4GB LAA Patch to it, it will fail. You have to remove it's DRM using atom0s Steamless tool and then, use the NTCore's 4GB Patch tool to patch the exe file. It's mandatory doing it in this exact order. Then, continue with this instructions.

Use the v0.2.1 release now, be sure to select the Steam exe. It will automatically remove the DRM with Steamless, patch the exe file with the NTCore 4GB patch, and apply the MTFix.

How to apply the fix
If you already have the requirements above done, the fix is easy to apply.

1-Download the fix

Download the file "GridMTFix_XXX.exe" (being XXX your selected flavour) and paste it on the main Race Driver Grid folder, just near the grid.exe file.

The other zip files from the download are for backup purposes. Ignore them.

2-Execute GridMTFix_XXX.exe
Let it do its things

3-Run the game and reconfigure it.
Your settings should be gone. Set them up again.

If everything works, you can now play Race Driver: Grid making the most out of your hardware.

* Strong Recommendation
I really encourage you to pair this fix with DXVK from Doitsujin if your GPU is Vulkan capable. On my system I go from 180fps in race with D3D9 to 285fps with Vulkan. Give it a try!!

Check my Github for more info, this script is open source!

What's New in Version v0.2.1   See changelog

Released

Same as v0.2 but with a little bugfix:

• Fixed backup detection, now it will properly create a backup of the exe file and detect it again in case you reapply the fix.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

10 hours ago, ther3alhp said:

Hi, I have tried to use this patch to fix my infinite loading screen and doesn't seem to be working. I get the message saying Grid will now use 20 cores, but still get infinite loading once I select Grid World. I am using version 1.3, downloaded from r/abandonware so can't exactly confirm if it is the retail, GOG or Steamless version. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

I need more info. What version of GridMTFix have you used? What CPU and GPU you have? Are you using DXVK or not?

EDIT: I've downloaded the build from r/abandonware, and it's a cluster f*ck. It's a modified Zoom Build. So I'd stay out of it. Download a proper version, from GOG or a clean SteamRip, unmodified and try again, please.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, xator said:

I need more info. What version of GridMTFix have you used? What CPU and GPU you have? Are you using DXVK or not?

EDIT: I've downloaded the build from r/abandonware, and it's a cluster f*ck. It's a modified Zoom Build. So I'd stay out of it. Download a proper version, from GOG or a clean SteamRip, unmodified and try again, please.

Ah! That explains it haha. I redownloaded a GOG version (had to use the link previously linked here, as it has been removed from GOG in the last few months) and it is working perfectly. Thank you!

Share this comment

Here I was thinking that the Zoom version was already patched with this but decided to give it a go out of curiosity and holy cow, I've been playing this game for over 20ish hours with my friends over LAN (RadminVPN, lotta fun!) without realising I was barely making use of my laptop's hardware. So much smoother, does Grid 2 require any patches like this?

Share this comment