most/all games misbehaving help

L shneier

Hi i'm posting here as i couldn't think of a much better place tio ask these questions. Back in 2011 i noticwed some odd issues when trying to play a pirated version of minecraft which i borowed from a friend to see if my at the time crappy laptop would run it resaonablely before the purchase of the full game, in that i could only move my character by holding down either control or shift i could interact with my mouse fine but the use of my keyboard was only possible when i was holding down either of these keys as well natural i put it down to a bad cracked copy and put it asiede then when the humble bundle came outin may 2012 i took advantage of the deal and got some classics to add to my collection  that would still run on a terrible laptop but after i had launched limbo i noticed the issues that were present in minecraft srtill existed in this legitimate steam game i then tried to launch braid and portal( a game i had before the issue exsited) and found that the issue was prevalent in all games so i decied to persevere and just play my way through limbo and after that laptops motherboard failed and i was put onto the familes (posibably worse than my old laptop) windows 8 laptop i thought the issue was over so i just went about everything fine. However when i reinstalled portal 2 adding it into m my steam library from m old laptops harddrive onto my laptop last month after playing a lot of civ 5 until then i noticed the issue had returened i fixed for portal 2 by pluging in my xbox 360 controller into my laptop. Then i was looking through gog today to see if anything interesting was on sale and i saw theif gold eddition was their for $2.50 so thought it was well worth it but after downloading and installing it i discovered the issue was still present and i can't relly just plug a controller in to fix it this time as the game has no native controller support i've been looking into buying a proper pc for a while but refuse to until this issue is resolved does anyone know why this issue might have happened and if there is anyway to fix it. As you can see the issue is present in notjust steam games but individual titles

sorry for poor spelling grammar or for rambilling i didn't post this in the troubleshooting subforrum because it would not allow me i will happily provide any additional infomation.

I recommend against AVG, everything else is good though.Windows Defender (if you're using Windows 8) or Windows Security Essentials for anything below are Microsoft products and tend to work pretty well.

It sounds like the problem went from your first laptop to your second when you moved your Portal 2 save files over to the new laptop. Try this: Open Steam, find Portal 2 in your library, right-click on the game's title, press "Properties", go to the "LOCAL FILES" tab, and press "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...". This will probably freeze Steam (everyone has this bug, it's annoying) and take a few minutes, so just wait until it's done. After that's done, open Portal 2 and see if it's fixed. If it's not, you'll probably want to delete any game files off your computer as they all seem to be infected some how.

A virus scan also sounds like it may help.

so.. let me sum up: if you don't plug your x360 controller.. you can move with the keyboard only if you press CTRL and SHIFT? :|

weirdest problem i have ever heard.. and the keyboard buttons all work fine in (for example) the notepad??

@nicereddy windows defender it's not as crappy as AVG (and it's fairly lightweight)... but judging from many online reviews it's not great when it comes to virus catching.. it's really permissive (imo avira free version is the best)

Which is probably better for us since it's more likely to be documented on the actual article, right?

True, but it doesn't seem like we're going to get very far in diagnosing the problem considering it seems so strange and effects such a large amount of games.

Speaking of which, we should really figure out how to organize our pages with "generic fixes" so users can find them.

True, but it doesn't seem like we're going to get very far in diagnosing the problem considering it seems so strange and effects such a large amount of games.

Speaking of which, we should really figure out how to organize our pages with "generic fixes" so users can find them.

I completely agree.

sorry for not replying been a bi busy over Christmas

Have you run an antivirus/antispyware scan? I'd recommend Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials, and AVG antivirus.

but yeah i've run my anti viruse kerspersky ( both on old system and on new one and all hard drives ) and nothing came up

so.. let me sum up: if you don't plug your x360 controller.. you can move with the keyboard only if you press CTRL and SHIFT? :|

weirdest problem i have ever heard.. and the keyboard buttons all work fine in (for example) the notepad??

@nicereddy windows defender it's not as crappy as AVG (and it's fairly lightweight)... but judging from many online reviews it's not great when it comes to virus catching.. it's really permissive (imo avira free version is the best)

and yeah it works fine in word notepad firefo etc and games work fine  with mouse inputs or controller imputs but i can only move with keyboard with one of the most awkward hand positions i have ever used which is not greart for prolonged sessions in terms of movement without the keys presssed  control or shift (shift isn't even a sure fix for some games) down if it moves it will be unbelievably slow i'd say about 20 to 30 times slower than normal i've run the steam cache check and all was apparently validated fine but the problem still persits

I'd just like to note the irony of this thread, we have become the forum upon which people try to get their issues fixed.

and yeah i agree this is proably not the place for this kind of question but when i came acrosss this issue as it is so rare it isn't really diacussed on the internet an no on i know had any idea of where to go to get answers so i thought this might be the best bet i have tried to reinstall steam clean i had more different usb keyboards and updated all drivers but still no luck so here i am hoping for some kind of suggesting of what could fix it

and yeah i agree this is proably not the place for this kind of question but when i came acrosss this issue as it is so rare it isn't really diacussed on the internet an no on i know had any idea of where to go to get answers so i thought this might be the best bet i have tried to reinstall steam clean i had more different usb keyboards and updated all drivers but still no luck so here i am hoping for some kind of suggesting of what could fix it

It's perfectly fine to post here, I just thought it was funny since this is one of those problems no one has ever had in all of history. I honestly don't know where else to go for something like this.

It's perfectly fine to post here, I just thought it was funny since this is one of those problems no one has ever had in all of history. I honestly don't know where else to go for something like this.

i know the only thing i haven't tried a clean install of the OS do you think that could ork

i know the only thing i haven't tried a clean install of the OS do you think that could ork

probably at 99%

anyway.. if you try to run one of these games in windows safe mode, what happens? (aside from the decimated framerate)

probably at 99%

anyway.. if you try to run one of these games in windows safe mode, what happens? (aside from the decimated framerate)

safe ode does seem to improve the situation for thief but was unable to launch portal to test even after enabling networking so i tried running shadowgrounds to see if the issue was removed from steam and it seems to be fine minus framerate issues so I'm just trying to work out what safemode disabled to fix the issue now my first thought is maybe just refreshing my OS  or maybe running a Linux portion and seeing if that improves the situation at all

safe ode does seem to improve the situation for thief but was unable to launch portal to test even after enabling networking so i tried running shadowgrounds to see if the issue was removed from steam and it seems to be fine minus framerate issues so I'm just trying to work out what safemode disabled to fix the issue now my first thought is maybe just refreshing my OS  or maybe running a Linux portion and seeing if that improves the situation at all

oh, you don't need to continue with this hassle

we have just realized that this problems comes from one of the programs you have running on your PC

so i would suggest you to try disabling (from a normally running windows) selectively the programs

oh, you don't need to continue with this hassle

we have just realized that this problems comes from one of the programs you have running on your PC

so i would suggest you to try disabling (from a normally running windows) selectively the programs

yeah that makes more sense but in windows 8 i can't remember anyway other than uninstalling each individual program one at time do you have any how to do it in windows 8