Patrxgt's Unofficial Modern Patch for Colin McRae Rally (1998)

About This File

Patrxgt's Unofficial Modern Patch is an unofficial patch for Colin McRae Rally (1998), which fixes incompatibilities with modern operating systems (without breaking menus, like "kFYatek's Unofficial Windows 7 Patch" does) and skips CD check for the sake of convenience. This patch is compatible only with 1.5 European and American versions of the game and modifies the following file:

"Rally.exe"

Installation:

0. Install the 1.5 patch for version from your region.

1. Download "Patrxgt's Unofficial Modern Patch.7z" file and extract it wherever you want.

2. Put "Rally.exe" file from your game's installation folder into the "put_rally.exe_here" folder.

3. Run "patch_<region of your game>.bat" and wait until "Rally.exe_patched" shows up in the folder.

4. Rename "Rally.exe_patched" to "Rally.exe" and replace it's counterpart in the game's installation folder.

Recommendations: Set Motion smoothness to "OFF" in the games menu for smooth framerate and lock it with third-party tool (like "RivaTunner Statistic Server" or "NVIDIA Control Panel") to 60 FPS for the sake of stability.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi, the patch sadly won't work for me.

I'm on the newest version of Windows 10.

I placed the Rally.exe in the set folder and then using the patch_EU. Then it just shortly opens a cmd window and instantly closes, but theres no patched Rally.exe in the folder. I tried it both in the original folder and then on another drive, since Windows often intervenes with modifying stuff on the C drive.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, eruasa said:

Hi, the patch sadly won't work for me.

I'm on the newest version of Windows 10.

I placed the Rally.exe in the set folder and then using the patch_EU. Then it just shortly opens a cmd window and instantly closes, but theres no patched Rally.exe in the folder. I tried it both in the original folder and then on another drive, since Windows often intervenes with modifying stuff on the C drive.

Have you patched your game to the 1.5 version or running .bat file as an administrator? Where have you bought your game? Some EU versions are recognized as US version.

Share this comment

22 hours ago, Patrxgt said:

Have you patched your game to the 1.5 version or running .bat file as an administrator? Where have you bought your game? Some EU versions are recognized as US version.

I updated the game to 1.5 and also tried running the bat file as an admin. No idea where I bought the game, because I had it since I was a kid, but it was bought in Germany. So it should be a European version. 

Going to try the US patch, when I get home from work later.

Edit: It now randomly works, no idea what happened.

Share this comment

Any possibility to add support for the Widescreen fix and Widescreen HUD?

Alternatively, could you tell the hex values to edit in order to remove CD check?

Share this comment

Nope and nope. I only knew how to skip CD check and I don't make widescreen fixes for games and I can't share hex values, because everything was done through patching assembly with x64dbg. But if you really need a hex changes, that I've made, then just compare original exe and patched exe with something like HxD.

Share this comment