Use "Documents" instead of "My Documents"

Marioysikax

As everyone should be well aware XPs support has now officially ended. You may also know that was last microsofts OS to use "My Documents" while all newer versions use simply "Documents"

What I'd like to propose is that wiki would simply do the same with save/config locations. Some still use XP but we are talking minority here, Steam hardware survey says ~5% of users are still on XP.

I had a discussion with soeb on the IRC channel precisely on this topic.

We shouldn't really bother for XP, true, but you have to consider that My Documents still work in windows vista and newer windows (at least in English localized versions), while the contrary isn't true

I'd like to hear other opinions then

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents is not a valid path for Vista, 8 or 8.1 whereas %USERPROFILE%\Documents is valid for all versions after XP. Only Windows 7 accepts both names.

As a result I will be gradually transitioning pages towards %USERPROFILE%\Documents.

"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\" does not working in localized Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (Czech localization) whereas "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\" works, so I am for replacing My Documents with Documents

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents is not a valid path for Vista, 8 or 8.1 whereas %USERPROFILE%\Documents is valid for all versions after XP. Only Windows 7 accepts both names.

As a result I will be gradually transitioning pages towards %USERPROFILE%\Documents.

Soeb successfully tested My Documents in windows 8 though

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\ doesn't work with finnish localized version of 7 or 8.1. That's why I suggested this as I can't just copy paste every path from wiki without removing the "my" part. 

61R7mPx.png

%USERPROFILE%\Tiedostot\ also works but I'm betting it won't work with any other than finnish version of windows.