Will Google Stadia succeed? Poll

Andytizer

Will Google Stadia succeed?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will you try out Stadia?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is your internet connection fast enough for Stadia? (45Mbps for 4K streaming)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Stadia succeed in the long run?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Will Stadia ever exceed Steam's player numbers?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Will Stadia exist in 10 years time?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Will Stadia become the leader of game streaming?

• Yes
    • No

google-stadia-preview-impressions.jpg

This is a thought experiment about Google's newest streaming service. Will Stadia succeed where OnLive (RIP 2003-2015) failed? Is this the next revolution in gaming, or is Stadia just another headstone in Google's graveyard?

One day in the future it'll be interesting to refer back to this post to see whether any of our predictions came true.

I have no interest in a platform that is absolutely hostile to modding, making something as simple as ultrawide hacks impossible.

It might succeed to some degree but Google are indeed known for eagerly abandoning their projects unless they're hugely successful.

I feel the success of Stadia is tied to whether game companies can get a majority of gamers on a Netflix-esque streaming plan. If they can, which thus far seems unlikely, then it'll be yet another option. If not, off to the Google graveyard, littered with 'revolutionary' or 'long-term support' products.

21 hours ago, Expack3 said:

I feel the success of Stadia is tied to whether game companies can get a majority of gamers on a Netflix-esque streaming plan. If they can, which thus far seems unlikely, then it'll be yet another option. If not, off to the Google graveyard, littered with 'revolutionary' or 'long-term support' products.

I don't think it'll be as good as Netflix which is a single subscription for everything. 

Stadia will be a 'base' and a 'pro' subscription with some games included/discounted. But you'll still have to buy majority of the games which is quite offputting.

Some questions can't be answered with a straight Yes or No.

1. If I see one in a store kiosk, or a friend of mine has one, I'll give it a shot.

2.  According to their official speedtest, I have 71 Mbps of speed, which should be more than fast enough for it.

3. I don't know what kind of business model Google is targeting with this device.  At the very least, games sold through Stadia will make PC game sales stronger.

4. Potentially, since it is a console, it has the "plug in and play" mindset to spread, while the games it plays will be PC games.

5. Depending entirely on how successful the project is.  Could be the next Ouya, could be the next Xbox (a valid contender but can't claim the top spot).

6. Google has extremely deep pockets for marketing, much like Sony in the 90's.  Their product might not be the best, but it will be the best advertised for sure.