Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Effcol

Add Steam Controller button prompts

Question

Would it be possible to add an option and icon for Steam Controller specific button prompts/glyfs?

The Steam Controller's button icons are distinct in several ways from the general xbox buttons, As they have their unique and distinct from the general xbox icons. For example, you can see in the images below the button prompts show icons for unique features and properties of the steam controller, , like the gyro, touchpad's, buttons at the end of the triggers, and grips.

There's also a number of games out there that use steam Controller specific prompts, because they've implemented them directly via the Steam Controller API (SCAPI). For example:

• Mafia III
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Warframe
  • XCOM 2
  • Portal 2
  • Left for Dead 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Wasteland 2
  • Firewatch
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious!
  • CS:GO
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

If you want to see the official button prompts that Valve has made and have suggested devs use directly in Steam, and see how they're different from the xbox prompts, navigate to: 

\Steam\tenfoot\resource\images\library\controller\api\

If they are decided to be added, could to add them to the input settings guide too, as well ass add the new "Simultaneous controller+KB/M" setting to the guide, as that's recently been added, but not to the guide yet, and is highly relevant to the Steam Controller :)

Here's some images of the distinct Steam Controller button prompts:

newpreview.png

56d7a0a8eabea.jpgGlyphProgress.png

3 answers to this question

I have added Steam Controller support for prompts. This is currently represented by the pad symbol because the regular ABXY buttons are the same as an Xbox controller. Feel free to suggest improvements or alternatives to more clearly represent this type of controller.

I have also added simultaneous input to all the examples (this was initially excluded because I had considered rewording it).

Looks great!! Thank you for doing that so quickly, I'm adding it to the games I know of now :)

I think the pad symbol is great, as it's the most distinctive part of the steam controller. I can't think of any other symbol that would work there instead of the pad, as there's no other unique feature of part of the hardware. And yeah the face buttons are the same as xbox so that would make it confusing for people. So I think it's good as is :)

I think the only other suggestions I would have, is perhaps making the 'additional information' section part of the input settings, permanently open. And just make it part of the main input settings. Then just hide each one if they don't have information or are set to unknown, instead of having the dropdown. 

It hides all the information in there. Plus the drop down location goes really weird when there's loads of images, like on the Talos Principle page: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Talos_Principle#Input_settings And is kind of annoying to repeatedly open and close when editing pages with information in there, but that's a minor gripe. 

Also, sorry for another question, but where would be the best place to put that the game uses something like the steam Controller API for it's controllers? Would there be a specific section you'd suggest that should be in the input section? Or should that be in the middleware section?

Sorry to throw so much at you, and thanks again ^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Methanhydrat
      TL;DR
      This fix makes Dead Space 2 use raw mouse input without any additional smoothing or acceleration. It works with VSync and high frame rates and is easy to install without having to fiddle around with FPS limiters or config files.

Quick start guide:
      Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\games\Dead Space 2\".
      Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Origin or Steam

Features
      Even though the mouse controls in Dead Space 2 are better than in the first one, it still suffers from many of the same issues. Most notably, it has negative mouse acceleration and a sensitivity that is dependent on the frame rate, which leads to inconsistent movement when the performance is not stable.

This fix circumvents those problems by acquiring raw mouse input and injecting it directly into the game's camera functions.

Its features include:
      Raw mouse input independent of FPS or VSync
      Reasonable sensitivity range
      Same sensitivity in each direction
      No dead zone for slow movement
      No additional smoothing or positive/negative mouse acceleration
      Improved mouse cursor
      No automatic camera re-center
      Configuration via the ingame settings as usual
      Simple installation and usage without any external configuration

Instructions

Supported Versions
      This mod is designed for the latest, fully patched versions of Dead Space 2 and might not work when used with older or otherwise modified executables.
      Origin/Retail
      Steam

Install
      The mod does not make any permanent changes to the game or to Windows and can easily be removed.
      Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\games\Dead Space 2\".
      Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Origin or Steam

Uninstall
      Remove or rename the dinput8.dll from the folder of the game.

Known Issues
      There are some short sections in the game where the fix does not work properly, for example the zero-g areas. I am currently looking for savegames close to those locations, so I can investigate the issues.

The fix is also currently not compatible with latest version of ReShade, due to raw input conflicts, which result in the fix not receiving any mouse data.

Additional Information

Antivirus Software
      Since this mod consists of an executable DLL file that uses "hacking techniques" such as injection and hooking, it could be classified as malicious by antivirus software. In that case, it might be necessary to add an exception rule to the scanner.

If you lack the trust in random people on the internet -- and I would not blame you -- feel free to use a meta online virus scanner like VirusTotal to verify the file.

Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors
      To increase the compatibility with other mods or injectors that are using a wrapper DLL, this fix offers two methods for remote loading of additional files. Note that there might still be compatibility issues between the different fixes, mods or injectors that have nothing to do with the loading process.

File method:

The mod will load another dinput8.dll automatically if it has the name dinput8_Remote.dll. Just rename the DLL you want to load accordingly. Using this method will lead to an error if the renamed DLL is not itself a dinput8.dll.

Folder method:

The mod will also automatically load all DLLs regardless of their names in a dinput8_Remote sub-directory. Just create a corresponding folder in the install directory of the mod. This is the only way to load multiple (conflicting) files.

Acknowledgments
      I would like to thank Kaibz for his detailed bug reports and testing for the v1.0 version of the fix.

Contact And Support
      If you like this fix and want to support the development or show your appreciation with a donation, you can find more information on my website. There you can also find out more about other mods that I have done and means to contact me if you have a question, want to provide feedback, bug reports and suggestions.

Version History

v1.2.1:
      Fixed Steam version support
      Fixed a launch issue on Windows 7

v1.2:
      Updated address system to increase compatibility with modified versions of the game
      Added support for remote loading of additional DLLs to increase the compatibility with other mods (see Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors)
      Fixed compatibility issues with certain mods and tools

v1.1 (unreleased):
      Internal changes

v1.0:
      Initial public release

• By Jenya
      Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 button prompts for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within by KainXVIII.

Taken from: https://steamcommunity.com/app/13500/discussions/0/487876568242758529/
    • By Aemony
      Monster Hunter: World - DualShock 4 prompts v1.0
      Mod by MHVuze

Tested and working with game build 151639.
      Use at your own risk! Play in offline mode if you fear a ban or whatever.

How-to:
      1. Move the nativePC folder from this archive to your install dir (i.e. D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Monster Hunter World)
      2. Profit

If the controller detection is fixed in an upcoming patch or you want to get rid of it for some other reason, just remove the nativePC folder.
      If you have other mods installed, remove the two files of this mod to keep the other mods intact.

If you downloaded this mod from anywhere but the release post linked below, be wary of malicious modifications.
      Release Post @ ResetEra: https://resetera.com/posts/11334316/

Enjoy!

---

Tips are appreciated: https://streamlabs.com/mhvuze
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/mhvuze
    • By Methanhydrat
      TL;DR
      This fix makes Mass Effect use raw mouse input and removes the game's mouse acceleration. It is easy to install and use and does not require any external configuration.

Quick start guide:
      Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\"
      Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Steam or Origin

Features
      While the mouse controls are pretty responsive, the first Mass Effect suffers from mouse acceleration, which cannot be turned off via the ingame settings or with the usual approaches for other Unreal Engine 3 games. This fix removes the acceleration by acquiring raw mouse input and injecting it directly into the game's input function.

Its features include:
      Raw mouse input
      No additional smoothing or positive/negative mouse acceleration
      Configuration via the ingame settings as usual
      Simple installation and usage without any external configuration

Instructions

Supported Versions
      This mod is designed for the latest, fully patched versions of the game and might not work when used with older or otherwise modified executables.
      Steam
      Origin
      Retail v1.02

Install
      The mod does not make any permanent changes to the game or to Windows and can easily be removed.
      Extract the file dinput8.dll to your main game folder. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\"
      Start the game like you would normally, for example directly through Steam or Origin

Uninstall
      Remove or rename the dinput8.dll from the folder of the game.

Known Issues
      There are currently no known issues with the mod.

Additional Information

Antivirus Software
      Since this mod consists of an executable DLL file that uses "hacking techniques" such as injection and hooking, it could be classified as malicious by antivirus software. In that case, it might be necessary to add an exception rule to the scanner.

If you lack the trust in random people on the internet -- and I would not blame you -- feel free to use a meta online virus scanner like VirusTotal to verify the file.

Loading Other Fixes/Mods/Injectors
      To increase the compatibility with other mods or injectors that are using a wrapper DLL, this fix offers two methods for remote loading of additional files. Note that there might still be compatibility issues between the different fixes, mods or injectors that have nothing to do with the loading process.

File method:

The mod will load another dinput8.dll automatically if it has the name dinput8_Remote.dll. Just rename the DLL you want to load accordingly. Using this method will lead to an error if the renamed DLL is not itself a dinput8.dll.

Folder method:

The mod will also automatically load all DLLs regardless of their names in a dinput8_Remote sub-directory. Just create a corresponding folder in the install directory of the mod. This is the only way to load multiple (conflicting) files.

Contact And Support
      If you like this mod and want to support the development or show your appreciation with a donation, you can find more information on my website. There you can also find out more about other mods that I have done and means to contact me if you have a question, want to provide feedback, bug reports and suggestions.
    • By Marioysikax
      https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Rogue_Legacy

Replaces button prompts with Dualshock 4 ones.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueLegacy/comments/2uluih/pc_i_made_a_mod_for_ps4_icons_today_interested/
      Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b5888d18fmax8m6/RL+Icons+Mod.zip
      MD5: 0CFA8A96D1371EDAA7D463CBD8B0CC35
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 106 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online