Andytizer

SteamOS announced by Valve

First in the series of planned announcements, Valve has announced SteamOS,

SteamOS is a brand new operating system based on Linux that's designed to be used in the living room.

New features to SteamOS and Steam include:In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Local streaming is a clever way of circumventing the issue of compatibility with the vast library of non-Linux Steam games. The tech exists and it's solid - it's comparable to the WiFi streaming function of an Nvidia Shield (hopefully without the ridiculous tech requirements) or the streaming capability of the PlayStation 4 and Vita, where a beefy base unit can be used to stream high fidelity games to other devices at low latencies.

Music, TV, Movies

We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.

Another interesting feature that may put the (yet unannounced) device in competition with other devices like Apple TV, Roku and of course the media functionality of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. I wonder if Valve have the clout to incorporate major streaming companies like Netflix from launch.

Family Sharing

In the past, sharing Steam games with your family members was hard. Now you can share the games you love with the people you love. Family Sharing allows you to take turns playing one another’s games while earning your own Steam achievements and saving your individual game progress to the Steam cloud.

A feature that has already been announced, but it would be great to hear more specifics about how this works. My biggest hope is that it'll now be possible to be logged into a single Steam account in more than one place - no more logged in and out of accounts just to jump between two different computers, a little bugbear of mine.

Family Options

The living-room is family territory. That’s great, but you don’t want to see your parents’ games in your library. Soon, families will have more control over what titles get seen by whom, and more features to allow everyone in the house to get the most out of their Steam libraries.

Again, it would be wonderful to get more details on this. My son will be coming to the age and will be wanting to play PC games. Being able to share games between would be fantastic, instead of having to setup a brand new account and potentially doubling up on purchases. And the possibility of creating a PCGamingWiki 'family' account for testing purposes is an intriguing proposition.

Thoughts

Whilst the big announcement here is SteamOS the Linux platform, I don't think this is the real news. Valve have thrown their weight behind Linux, but we have yet to hear of other major third party support in the 'AAA' arena announce simultaneous multiplatform Linux game releases in the near future. Until third-party Linux support gains more traction, it'll be tough to maintain a Linux-only gaming environment, especially if this means ditching support for the enormous PC gaming back catalogue on Windows and Mac.

Thankfully we'll be able to maintain compatibility with Windows and Mac games by streaming them from another PC. For me, this is the really big news - being able to maintain whatever OS I want my HTPC, and stream games from my main beefy desktop. Or - maintain a single 'game server' running Windows, and stream to multiple low-end devices, e.g. a low-price HTPC, a netbook, etc.

Of course the next announcement is likely to be something to do with the specific hardware of the oft-rumoured 'Steambox'. Any guesses as to what this will look like? My bet is on multiple pricepoints, with one being a budget streaming box similar to the PS Vita TV, and one being a hefty gaming HTPC similar to the Xi3 Piston, both running SteamOS.

Click here to view the article

If this has Spotify and Netflix support it could absolutely wreck the PS4 and Xbox One, given enough of a marketing push. I can't wait :D

Yes I can definitely see this happening. I just wonder what kind of hardware they will push out, what the worldwide release is like and whether they get the pricing correct. Part 1 has been a definite hit so far.

I'd expect Valve to have hardware partners on day one in addition to or instead of an actual Valve-branded system. The Alienware X51 has a console form factor and already offers an Ubuntu option promoting Steam so I'd expect a SteamOS option from this and other gaming PC manufacturers as soon as it becomes available.

Local streaming is a clever way of circumventing the issue of compatibility with the vast library of non-Linux Steam games. The tech exists and it's solid - it's comparable to the WiFi streaming function of an Nvidia Shield (hopefully without the ridiculous tech requirements) or the streaming capability of the PlayStation 4 and Vita, where a beefy base unit can be used to stream high fidelity games to other devices at low latencies. 

Once they have all the kinks worked out with local streaming there is no reason why they can't stream over the internet with the games run on their Steam cluster, one near each major city to minimize roundtrip latency. It would make even the most demanding games playable on integrated graphics. Why stop with games? Music, movies, and everything else you can think of.

Let's move a few years into the future. You'll have Steam streaming from the internet to your phone and your phone outputting to your TV at 1080p. Possibly wirelessly. You'll have a wireless controller paired to your phone which might also pair to your wireless headphones or to your wireless 5.1/7.1 speakers. Your phone is your console. All you need to buy is a controller and a subscription to Steam. 

Yes, there is an issue of latency so it won't be ideal for all games, but for not owning a PC, laptop or a console (only a TV, phone and a controller) this is pretty good.

And yes, I know OnLive does something similar with its console and wireless controller. I think in the near future we'll see the elimination of that console entirely.

And yes, I know OnLive does something similar with its console and wireless controller. I think in the near future we'll see the elimination of that console entirely.

An exciting proposition, I hope we do get this kind of feature as an option. However, I seriously doubt this would completely replace the local installation of games entirely in the future.

I really doubt any potential streaming solution from Valve would be available worldwide (OnLive and Gaikai certainly aren't) so that right there greatly reduces its usefulness for many if not most gamers. There is also the problem of bandwidth use to consider; in many countries data caps are strictly finite, so constantly devouring it with every minute of gameplay isn't exactly a great selling point. The average shiny new game weighs in at many gigabytes but after that initial download you can play infinitely without much additional bandwidth use.

Local streaming from a PC to SteamOS will have lower latency than remote streaming, but at that point why not connect the PC to the TV directly?

I really doubt any potential streaming solution from Valve would be available worldwide (OnLive and Gaikai certainly aren't) so that right there greatly reduces its usefulness for many if not most gamers. There is also the problem of bandwidth use to consider; in many countries data caps are strictly finite, so constantly devouring it with every minute of gameplay isn't exactly a great selling point. The average shiny new game weighs in at many gigabytes but after that initial download you can play infinitely without much additional bandwidth use.

Local streaming from a PC to SteamOS will have lower latency than remote streaming, but at that point why not connect the PC to the TV directly?

I think that launching an OnLive/Gaikai competitor is probably in Valve's plans for the future. They have an enormous worldwide content delivery network they can leverage, and it would be easier for them to adapt a high quality game streaming service on the back of this.

Demand for bandwidth is also increasing with more use of things like Twitch, Netflix, YouTube, etc. and fibre is also increasing. If you live in a rural area with poor internet or caps, you can just download locally on Steam just as you always have.

There is a demand for a gaming internet streaming service but with the right combination of hardware and games. Remember that PlayStation 4's Gaikai will be launching in 2014, and I think it's likely to be much more successful than OnLive was. PlayStation are also release Vita TV, which will eventually also work as a Gaikai streamer as well as a local network streamer.

Local streaming will have latency, but if it's anything like Apple TV mirroring, it'll be a compromise that'll be acceptable by the majority of people. There's a lot to say about convenience of just beaming things around without cables, like on a Chromecast, Apple TV or PS4->Vita streaming, which appears to work very well.

I'm bearish on this. While it's awesome to see Valve spinoff their own flavor of linux and thus create a good target for linux game developers, I don't see this taking off as well as Valve does. Even though the metro shell still sucks, Windows 8 still has backwards compatibility with most games. While the PC gamers are most likely to swap or dual boot OS's to play more games or play them with better performance, I don't see this becoming the OS of choice for gamers for a good long while. At least not until we can play AAA games on it day and date with PC releases.

On the other hand it's a good out for developers in case MS pulls something really dumb with the inevitable Windows 9. Plus the ability to stream games from a PC/Mac is a nice feature. SO I guess it could make for a good companion device, but not a replacement.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Similar Content

• By Andytizer
      Steam stats show that the number of concurrent logged in users has now exceeded 20 million. The all time highest number for Steam at the time of writing is now 20.3 million users which ocurred on Sunday March 15th, 2020.
      This comes as no surprise as lockdowns continue to be announced worldwide with more and more people staying at home due to Covid-19. Not only this, but the Steam userbase continues to grow, and certain Steam games like CS:GO also achieved its all-time concurrent player peak of over 1 million this Sunday.

• By GameAssistant
      Hi there! :)
      We talked with Andrew about our program.
      It might be featured later in more official fashion.
      But for now forum post seems to be best way to introduce it.
      Released on Steam previous week:
      https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190750/GameAssistant_The_Tool_For_Every_Gamer
      We thoroughly analyzed each supported game and in many cases our program
      provides some exclusive tweaks that are not listed on PC Gaming Wiki.
      When there are descriptions of useful changes that are hard to automate,
      we show link that directs to PC Gaming Wiki page.
      In case of disabling startup videos, we always remove or overwrite files, if possible.
      Program also provides cheats, sometimes as tweaks.
      To enable god mode in Outlast 1 exactly 60 properties in INI config are modified.
      Program can override FOV in STALKER games, where DLL file is modified.
      PC Gaming Wiki tells you to download some ZIP, which must be extracted into proper dir,
      and then some batch script must be run and finally proper number must be entered.
      Program is able to:
       - modify config files (10 formats supported: from simple key = value to engine specific)
       - modify registry entries
       - modify binary files
       - set compatibility modes for executables (admin, win xp)
       - set CPU affinity
       - set process priority
       - copy files
       - remove files
       - create directories
       - extract files from archives
       - mark files as read-only
       - show formatted hints
      All changes can be reverted.
      About 200 games are currently supported with more to come:
      https://steamcommunity.com/app/1190750/discussions/0/2659872290967762982
      Program is moddable, so new games can be added without programming skills.
      Detailed HTML documentation is available.
      Program can download Community Pack with multiple configs.
      Unfortunately, program did not receive much media coverage.
      You can spread the word and get 3 keys. More details here:
      https://steamcommunity.com/app/1190750/discussions/0/1751276551817474198
    • By Mr. Doomguy
      A lot of interesting stuff has happened in February starting with the most important one.

NVIDIA contributes to Nouveau once more
      Despite the status update report being published which mentions not only some new features which Nouveau received, it also appears that less and less people work on it but then, out of nowhere NVIDIA has stepped in and provided the following contributions to this project
      NVIDIA Format Modifiers - Provide better performance in compressed layers. Will be available in the upcoming Linux kernel 5.7 Signed firmwares for GeForce 16 series (1600 and 1650 series) While this is surprising nice approach it still lacks a specific firmware to deal with poor performance from GTX 900 series to newer and we have yet to receive an open source Vulkan driver which Nouveau still lacks.

Mesa 20.0 has been released + 20.1 work has begun
      As stated in the title, Mesa 20.0 has been released which provides the following new features:
      Owners of Intel's Broadwell line of CPUs or newer will use the new Gallium3D driver codenamed Iris by default, providing better performance and take advantage of Gallium3D features such as the GalliumHUD or even Gallium3D Nine for use with Wine for a native DIrect3D 9 support (Requires Wine Nine Config) compared to the old i965 driver which is still used for older Intel iGPUs. Additionally Mesa 20.0 now supports Intel's Jasper Lake line of CPUs as well. Owners of AMD graphics card based on GCN 1.0/1.1 architecture can take advantage of Valve's shader compiler made specifically for AMD called ACO, reducing the shader compiling time (which in turn minimizes stuttering) and provide more FPS as a bonus. Speaking of ACO, it supports even more shaders and some improvements leaving only Tesselation shaders and OpenGL support for last. AMD's Gallium3D driver, RadeonSI, now supports OpenGL 4.6 due to the NIR being enabled and used by default and now uses the "live shader cache" to reduce the stuttering when compiling shaders in OpenGL games. The recently added Next-Gen Geometry added by AMD for Navi GPUs has been re-enabled. Previously was disabled due to the issues popping up that were difficult to fix. As of this release, the work on 20.1 version has begun and it's expected to receive a stable release in May 2020. So far these are the new features that has been presented:
      Shader Disk Cache support for Nouveau, to improve loading times in games when using NVIDIA GPUs with the open source driver NIR support + OpenGL 4.6 support for R600 Gallium3D driver used by AMD HD 2000 series to HD 6000 series. Disabling (and perhaps removal) of SISched support, as Valve's ACO already beaten it. Used as a shader compiler for OpenGL and Vulkan games. Performance improvements by Valve for GCN 1.0/1.1 based graphics cards. AMD's GPU Profiler and SQ Thread Trace support for RadV (Open source Vulkan driver for AMDGPU) made possible by Valve. Normally these features were used by AMD in their own drivers, especially in their own open source Vulkan driver codenamed AMDVLK. Smaller size for RadeonSI, but even more performance improvements in combination with two compiling options which are LTO and PGO, as mentioned here. Speculation: OpenGL 3.0 support in Zink, an OpenGL To Vulkan driver. Some oopsies have happenned
      It seems that Windows games that ran through Proton started to count as Windows sale instead of the Linux one for some time until a game developer noticed this, luckily this has been reported to Valve and turns out that despite the system of it works, the filtering did not.
      But now time to mention some major issue that is going on. As of the release of Linux kernel 5.5, it turns out that it missed some of the critical patches for Intel Graphics Driver which led to system freezes and other serious issues. Hopefully the point releases included them.
      Other news:
      - Besides the release of Godot Engine 4.0 happening in mid 2020, the developers announced that it will include Wayland support along with EGL support, which for latter's case will greatly help for Raspberry Pi devices.
      - Wine has reached 5.3 release
      - Proton reached 5.0 release
      - DXVK received 1.5.5 release which only includes bugfixes. New major release will happen once all the regressions have been fixed.
    • By Andytizer
      Fallout 76 is coming to Steam on April 7, 2020. The game has been exclusive to the Bethesda.net platform since release on November 19. 2018.
      The release coincides with a new free expansion pack Wastelanders, which brings fully voiced NPCs to the game as well as other new content.
      Here is some information about how the Steam/Bethesda.net content will work:

• By Mr. Doomguy
      Ho! Ho! Ho!

We have approached the end of 2019 and this month has left some interesting things going on around the Linux Gaming community.

Mesa 19.3 release and new features in the upcoming 20.0 version
      As predicted, Mesa 19.3 has been released in early December which marks the 1st stable release to include Valve's shader compiler for AMD called ACO, however it is not enabled by default and users are required to run with RADV_PERFTEST=aco to take advantage of it, of course on Steam ya need to put RADV_PERFTEST=aco %command% into Launch options. As a reminder, this is meant for AMD only running on GCN architecture or newer which halves the compiling time making the game less suspectible to stuttering and increase the frame rate as a bonus. Besides that it provides a support for Navi 14 based GPUs (Such as RX 5500 XT), Intel Tiger Lake support, Zink driver (OpenGL To Vulkan driver, currently supports OpenGL 2.1) which is currently in experimental state and new Vulkan extensions for both Radeon RadV and Intel ANV.

New features have been announced to appear in the upcoming Mesa 20.0 which will be released in February:
      - Intel GPUs under Mesa will use Iris by default, a Gallium3D driver made by Intel themselves. Allowing you to take advantage of Gallium3D features such as the HUD and perhaps even Gallium3D Nine to run Direct3D 9 games under Wine without any translation to OpenGL, causing a boost to the frame rate.
      - OpenGL 4.6 support for RadeonSI (Open source OpenGL driver for AMD) and replacing TGS route with NIR, which results in some slight frame rate boost.
      - OpenGL Tesselation Support in Gallium3D's Software Rasterizer
      - AMD R600 GPUs will receive NIR support
      Linux 5.5 performance regression and AMDGPU's experimental GCN 1.0 support may be dropped
      Currently we are receiving Release Candidates for the upcoming stable 5.5 Linux kernel and it seems that some performance regression has been found, according to the Phoronix article this is cause by the usage of AppArmor feature presented in the kernel and a second unknown issue. If you are using Debian or Ubuntu (including even flavours such as Xubuntu, Kubuntu etc.) then it must be disabled by adding apparmor=0 into the kernel parameter. Luckily other distros such as Fedora and perhaps even ArchLinux have their kernels compiled to not use it by default.

Now here's the bad news for any owner of AMD's graphics card that uses GCN 1.0 architecture, AMD might drop the experimental support for it under AMDGPU kernel driver due to the UVD video driver not being included and some occasional bugs due to lack of testing and any output from AMD themselves. Enabling the usage of AMDGPU kernel driver for GCN 1.0 required a manual change in the kernel parameter with radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1 (Not required for GCN 3 and newer, as it's enabled by default) but it provided not only a frame rate boost but also a Vulkan support for GPUs which uses this architecture, the worst part is that they are unlikely to release a firmware which provides UVD video driver, but may also drop SI support from AMDGPU entirely. Valve may not like that as in their Future Work list for ACO, GFX6 lists Radeon HD 7000 series along with Radeon 200 series (Specifically 240 and 250) to have it's support added.

Proton 4.11-11 release, D9VK merged with DXVK, Wine 5.0 reached into freeze mode
      Speaking of Valve, they have recently released a 10th and 11th revision of Proton 4.11 which not only includes some fixes but also:
      - Halo: Master Chief Collection is supported from the single player side, multiplayer mode uses Easy AntiCheat which Wine and Proton has yet to provide support for it (Unless EAC hasn't been updated).
      - Adds a Interger Scaling Mode which can be toggled by running the game with WINE_FULLSCREEN_INTEGER_SCALING=1
      - Updated FAudio to 19.12 and DXVK to 1.5
      Now the DXVK 1.5 is special one here, as D9VK which is a fork of DXVK that translated Direct3D 9 games to Vulkan has been merged with it, so by default DXVK currently supports D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11.

From the Wine side, the Wine 5.0 development has reached into the freezing state, so for now we are getting release candidates (RC3 being the last release in this year!) which only includes bug fixes in order to be prepared for the stable release of it which may happen in February or March. This is rather important as Wine is used by Valve to create Proton, so once 5.0 gets a full stable release, then perhaps we will get Proton 5.0?

Life Is Strange 2 Linux release, some NVIDIA updates, leading Vulkan dev at Feral Interactive leaves
      Folks at Feral Interactive has been busy this month and released the Linux port of Life Is Strange 2 which uses Vulkan by default, now for the bad news, their leading Vulkan dev Alex Smith has left the studio after 3 years and currently works at Sony with the PlayStation, luckily he mentioned that Feral still has some capable Vulkan devs ready to take over. Wonder if PlayStation 5 will use Vulkan?

Now time for some NVIDIA news, they have released a new update for their legacy 340 driver series in order to make them work on recent distros for the upcoming 2020 and currently GNOME (one of the big desktop environments) will provide a much easier GPU switch in the 3.36 release, whereas KDE Plasma is soon to follow.

The 2010s was a decade which showed some activity in terms of Linux gaming, starting from Valve providing Steam support for it in 2012 with other stores such as GOG, followed by a release of SteamOS and Steam Machine and later on this caused some companies who made only Mac ports to join in such as Feral Interactive, Aspyr Media, Virtual Programming etc. some of them made a huge progress and some of em didn't, but despite the failure of Steam Machines Valve still continues to this day to spend their time and money to make Linux more viable for gaming and even decided to use most of the open source middlewares such as SDL2, OpenAL, libavcodec, Vulkan and OpenGL in their newer games which most likely even reduced to cost of developing the game for specific platforms such as Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS.

Other contributions which Valve made for Linux are as follows:
      - Contributes their codes to SDL2, Vulkan, Mesa, Linux kernel
      - Working together with Codeweavers on Proton and upstream the codes to Wine
      - Open sourcing some of their projects such as OpenVR, GameNetworkingSockets, Proton, Fossilize
      - Giving contracts to specific developers such as DXVK, Feral GameMode etc. to continue their work

Now let us remember that Linux Gaming wasn't born with Valve, but with Loki Software in late 90s and early 2000 which were responsible for using SDL and OpenAL which are still being used to this day, even in source ports of your favourite games.

The biggest question here is, what will await in 2020?

Previous Monthly Linux Gaming News
      November 2019
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 344 Guests (See full list)