Oculus Quest vs other VR headsets?

Andytizer

2019-06-12-image-18.jpg

I've been looking to replace my Oculus Rift, and the Oculus Quest has really intrigued me. It's about the same price as the Rift S, but the main difference is that the unit is capable of a standalone mode without a PC - which is delivered on a Android with a Snapdragon 835 CPU. The Oculus Quest games are underpowered compared to the games you can get tethering on a PC through SteamVR or the desktop Oculus Store.

What has changed my perception of the Oculus Quest more recently is that Oculus Link is going to be software patched in. This allows tethering the Oculus Quest to a PC for a 'standard' PC VR experience using a normal USB3 A to C cable.

Not only this, but the Oculus Quest has been able to stream games from PC to Oculus Quest using a hack. This is done by enabling developer mode, installing SideQuest (a sideloading app), and VirtualDesktop. Then you can stream all PC experiences over wifi and this gives a full untethered PC experience with minimal lag - you can use SteamVR, Oculus etc all without worrying about tripping over a cable.

Yes the Quest has inferior specs (lower refresh rate, lower resolution) compared to tethered headsets (Rift S, Valve Index, Vive Pro etc). But is this the best option and is this the future of VR?