Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Andytizer

Steam UI new interface leaked

According to SteamDB, the new Steam UI interface has "leaked through an update to the Chinese CS:GO launcher”.

What do you think of the changes? I for one will be glad as it looks like they are making much better use of the horizontal space, which my 3440x1440 monitor will appreciate!

D8n89cBW4AAh-kx.jpg

D8n89cgU0AA-Pwd.jpg

D8n89cfU0AESe4H.jpg

Here's how ya get it, least the unfinished version.

Download this and after that remove the stuff after the .zip .

Unpack steamui folder to your Steam folder and launch Steam with

-newlib

Clear instruction on how to enable the leaked Steam UI today:

1. Go to Steam > Settings > Account > Beta participation - set this to Steam Beta Update

2. Restart and then close Steam

3. Download the file csgo_steamui_websrc_all.zip.8af5e297faf24667a734d24612abc35f7f54576c from here

4. Rename the file to csgo_steamui_websrc_all.zip

5. Unzip the zip into the Steam folder

6. Right click on Steam shortcut, Right click Steam Client Bootstrapper and click Properties

7. Add the code -newlib at the end of the Target box

8. Open Steam

Posted (edited)

steamui-totalwarthreekingdoms.png

Doesn't look too bad on my ultrawidescreen!

Interesting that they blur the edges of the main screenshot to make it fit the aspect ratio. I wonder how they are going to look on triple display (not that anything would look at that width!)

A lot of the 'posts' don't have screenshots featured correctly - probably will be 
Also the 'Recent News' RSS feeds are all gone now - probably a good thing as it was 3rd party blog spam, only ever tangentially related to the actual game.

steamui-covers.png

The decision to make every game in this 'cover' mode into portrait box art size is probably a huge mistake as it looks really ugly. Also almost every Steam game by default shows a landscape cover, so I don't know why they'd offer this as an option. Perhaps when publishers are ready they'll upload proper portrait cover art too.

Edited by Andytizer
Changed screenshots to PNG quality

1 minute ago, madspooky said:

The news at the top is cut off on my screen which makes it look pretty gnarly. 

What is your screen resolution/aspect ratio? Have you got a screenshot.

2560x1440 so it's 16:9

Check out the bottom of the "Game Updates" section. Also the broken image for the 2nd image is pretty funny although that might be a matter of the post and not the new UI.

image.thumb.png.d04ccef35cc67ce466bc68f7d4d8f480.png

I'm fine with the size of the section - it'd be nice once it's final if they can figure out a way to make it a rollover hovercard that expands when the mouse is over it, leaving more room for actual library junk. The built in filter is definitely welcomed though.

The games that do have landscape cover art look really nice.

krYJteZ.png

It looks terrible. They'll never get every developer to redo every game so a bunch of stuff in your library will have that awful blurred look because the game image doesn't fit right. So far it doesn't look like you can even customize the images.

I make grid images for Steam so this ruins years of work. I'm probably moving over to support GoG Galaxy 2.0 instead if it turns out to be good. At least I know the art can be customized there, and it's not that ridiculously narrow vertical strip aspect ratio.

3 hours ago, Jinx said:

It looks terrible. They'll never get every developer to redo every game so a bunch of stuff in your library will have that awful blurred look because the game image doesn't fit right. So far it doesn't look like you can even customize the images.

I make grid images for Steam so this ruins years of work. I'm probably moving over to support GoG Galaxy 2.0 instead if it turns out to be good. At least I know the art can be customized there, and it's not that ridiculously narrow vertical strip aspect ratio.

Yes having portrait images seems silly given that Steam has been pushing for landscape game covers since the beginning. Every single game will need to be updated which will never happen.

Shame about the images you've created - hopefully this isn't the only way we'll be able to view the game library - I wonder how Big Picture will be affected too.

Having followed this tutorial, to the tee, it resulted in nothing changing. Is this region locked or something?

Did you make sure to set the Steam Beta update? And when you copied the contents of the zip, it copied the \steamui\ folder, overwriting the original one in Steam? 

Otherwise it is in beta, issues are to be expected I'm afraid.