Removing GameSave Manager from the cloud table

Actually I was hoping, one day I'd be able to write such thing myself. Well in a way, I'm able to do it now - but that'd be really junky. Either way - yeah, if I could easily add new configurations to GameSave Manager - I probably would. But doing it via Forum and hoping someone implements that... UUuuuugh. No :D

Well, I don't think you could write anything like this for gsm, considering it's closed source ;)

I'm not sure if our Game data template allows for that right now, but in theory it should be possible. Biggest problem would be inaccurate paths.

If an API were written for fetching the patches from the Game data template, and if the Game data template were updated to support such things, then whatever game save managers which implemented it would need to ensure several things:

1. The acquired paths are not treated as default or tested paths - after all, the paths could go out-of-date, especially for Early Access titles, someone could vandalize a page, breaking the path and/or the template in the process, and so on.
  2. The user is warned these paths are untested, and therefore may not work.
  3. The user should be able to give feedback on the validity of the path, such as a voting system or a textural report.

TL;DR: We would need to recommend game save managers using our (hypothetical) API not inherently trust our paths given the nature of PCGamingWiki's wiki articles, as well as recommend they allow users to give feedback on the paths so we know when a path is invalid.

Well, I guess sending something like a pull request to an hypothetic git repository (like this) every time a new path is added could be a nice trade off.

Wouldn't it?

I thought the point was about a human checking path is not the usual steam-butt/ joke.

It would be impossible for a few persons to really check/verify all games.

Also, it's not like they don't already do something similar.

Ever heard of GameSaveInfo?

What's the page supposed to link to? It's not working for me.

Personally I think that it is a bad idea in general as this is not documenting native support built in by the developer for the target platforms, just a third party tool. This makes it exponentially harder to maintain, and shows an unusual amount of bias.

Personally I think that it is a bad idea in general as this is not documenting native support built in by the developer for the target platforms, just a third party tool. This makes it exponentially harder to maintain, and shows an unusual amount of bias.

Sorry, which post are you referring to?

Sorry, which post are you referring to?

Just the general topic. Sorry for any confusion.

Mhh, it's a good point. If not for bias (I mean.. you have to make a choice, space is not infinite) at least because it's not like you couldn't potentially make all games compatible with a 3d party solution.

Still, it would be nice if we could have a deal with guys at gamesave.info

I guess I should have chimed in here earlier. Yes, support for GSM in the cloud sync table is going away, for one simple reason - it is a 3rd party solution. Not because there's worry about some "bias" towards one solution, but just because the effort is pointless

The information hosted here is a duplication of what the GSM database states itself, and therefore it automatically is outdated and can't not be. While it's true that that applies to practically anything, the effort of cataloguing the features and fixes of every game, and the effort of keeping up to date with a 3rd party database for synchronizing save games is very different.

I do apologize to anyone who's been putting the effort of keeping it up to date on the wiki itself. I should have made it clear earlier.

This being the case.... I'll throw some props to Blackbird, who has been putting work into this, including cleaning up the cloud save tables along the way. I'd feel bad without mentioning that despite my own opinions on the matter.

This being the case.... I'll throw some props to Blackbird, who has been putting work into this, including cleaning up the cloud save tables along the way. I'd feel bad without mentioning that despite my own opinions on the matter.

Thanks! It's unfortunate that it's being removed, but not a big deal to me. Hopefully 3rd-party solutions will get a proper mention later.

• 2 months later...

It does make much more sense to cover third party solutions in dedicated page instead of outdated information on game pages.

Speaking of first party clouds and going offtopic, when is Xbox Live Cloud going to be on the table? My solitaire already said that my data from Windows 8 has been merged and all the games are always synced to Xbox Live Cloud. The power of advertisement and microtransactions. 

Try asking Garrett if he could maybe add that. Is the Xbox Cloud service cross platform?