A Mobile Site or App?

Pranitdd

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, please let me know if this is ok. I have been hoping there would be some kind of mobile site or app available. I don't know anything about making apps or websites and how long and how much work it takes to make it, but I know many people here do. Would it be possible to add mobile support for this website? Or make a dedicated app where we can read PC Reports and check fixes on our phones. I just want to put this out there, although I am sure somebody else has probably thought of it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Our mobile/tablet traffic has increased from around 6.5% to 10% this year, it's certainly a big consideration. However I think the direction we would take this would be to try and make the site more responsive so that we can support all mobile devices and smaller screens. We may perform a skin overhaul in the future and this will be one of the features we implement.

Good to know other people want this. MediaWiki, unfortunately, is the main obstacle between PCGamingWiki and mobile support. If it happens, it will definitely be through the website rather than a dedicated app. The latter requires far too much work for the few users we'd have.

As Andy said, we've already got 10% of our traffic coming from mobile. Given that the wiki barely works on mobile devices, I'm sure an even larger portion would be made up of mobile viewers given proper support.

Given that the wiki barely works on mobile devices, I'm sure an even larger portion would be made up of mobile viewers given proper support.

I would say we have okay support - the same as any other MediaWiki based on the Vector skin. The site isn't broken when you view it on a phone. It scales down so that you need to zoom in to read the text. It's not a big priority as we are a PC-centric website but it's something we'll throw in if and when we do a redesign.

Would that mean that the wiki would have less features though?

The mobile skin hides advanced features (the desktop skin wouldn't be affected). These extensions might not work as-is due to the customisations on this wiki. The mobile skin would probably need some of its own CSS for the templates to assist with providing a proper mobile presentation.

• 2 weeks later...