GOG.com announces GOG.com Galaxy client

Nicereddy

In today's GOG.com/CD Projekt RED Stream they announced a new client called "GOG.com Galaxy". They already have the GOG.com Downloader and a "client" which helps update the games you get from GOG, I believe this is just a rebranding of that client. Details are currently sparse, so if anyone has any more information please post it!This will be interesting for a number of reasons, here are the key features:

• Client is fully optional
  • Client allows you to "Cross-Play" with anyone regardless of the platform they've purchased a game on (e.g. playing with a friend who bought the game on Steam whilst you bought it on GOG.com)
  • Online activation is not ever required (multiplayer and downloading the game itself obviously requires internet connection)
  • Achievements supported by client
  • Updates supported by client
I'm not sure if anything else was fully "announced", as they were rather vague on the whole thing in my opinion. I'm guessing there will be some sort of integration of a Friends system and the Community/Support already included on the GOG.com website, although both of those ideas are purely speculation.

Again, if anyone has any more information please post it.

Links:

(Article promoted by Andytizer)

Click here to view the article

In theory they could also include a Cloud Save feature, which would be amazing! I'm really hoping for that, but I'm unsure if it'd be financially viable for them.

People are relying on Steam for simple fact it's just so easy to use, everyone uses it and everything is automatic. Having optional client with same kind of functions (friendlist, achievements, automatic updates) most definitly helps to get those people to use GOG instead or along steam. 

I would definitly use GOG more if they had such working client instead of optional downloader program. 

This is a client I wouldn't mind using - it'll have all the benefits of Steam (autoupdates, cross-play, presumably some friend system, achievements, store) with none of the drawbacks (problems aunching when offline).

With clients not disappearing from the market it's great news with one from GOG. On paper it already beats the current ones. I'm looking forward to try it out, of course with combination with The Witcher 3.

sounds great--however wish they had a bit more imagination with the name.  Galaxy cars, phones, chocolate now gaming clients

This is a client I wouldn't mind using - it'll have all the benefits of Steam (autoupdates, cross-play, presumably some friend system, achievements, store) with none of the drawbacks (problems aunching when offline).

Yeah, having the option whether or not to use the client is what's really important to me. I'm offline quite a lot and I'd prefer a system that's more reliable than Steam ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Would definitely use it if they can keep up with Steam, and let me play games offline whenever I want to

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 425 Guests (See full list)