GFWL and SecuROM removed from Batman: Arkham games, owners upgraded to GOTY editions

Pendragon

Following this month's removal of Games for Windows Live on Bioshock 2, two more games have made the transition from Games for Windows Live to Steamworks.It was annonced today that they have patched the Steam versions of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City to remove both Games for Windows Live and SecuROM.

Non-Steam versions of both games can now also be activated on Steam using the original serial key.

Arkham City owners on Steam have been upgraded to Game of The Year Edition, and the game is now playable on Mac. Arkham Asylum, however, does not have Mac support.

As with Bioshock 2, save files from GFWL will not be carried over to the new Steam version, although a workaround has been discovered.

Click here to view the article

This is excellent news. I bought Arkham Asylum probably the first time it went on sale after release, but I was always worried about making progress in this game (I have serious anxiety when my save games aren't securely backed up to the cloud). GFWL encrypted save files are awful, and couldn't be relied on to transfer between new PCs (I believe I have switched/formatted computers 4 or 5 times since 2011). Finally I'll get a chance to play this game properly :).

GFWL encrypted save files are awful, and couldn't be relied on to transfer between new PCs

For reference, GFWL saves transfer without issues as long as you also transfer %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\XLive since that contains the associated gamertags.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 346 Guests (See full list)