Saints Row 2 is finally getting fixed

AlexKVideos1

e5054aacbe4d66cc91783dfe5d2eb996e49d08523f8ed6f2cb07bd9cc747aed2_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg.7e5e6230a535b069c6af521a4021471b.jpg

On the 11th anniversary of Saints Row 2, Volition announced on their Twitch stream that Saints Row 2 on PC is finally getting fixed. Lets go back 11 years to understand what happened to the PC port of Saints Row 2.

The story behind Saint Row 2's PC port

The PC port of Saints Row 2 was handled by CD Projekt Black. When the port was released, it was a complete mess. PCs at the time couldn't run the game well, crashes, speed-up issues, and a huge list of issues were reported with this port. However, this port was never fixed by CD Projeck Black, and while Volition was making updates, and DLC for Saints Row 2 on consoles, its PC port was still unpatched, and never received any DLC. With the shutdown of GameSpy in 2014, the online servers were also lost. All of this combined makes Saints Row 2 one of the worst PC ports ever.

When Volition's publisher, THQ, filed for bankruptcy, the source code for the PC port was still in the hands of CD Projekt Black, and was never given to Volition. Volition for years were trying to get the source code in order to release it to the modding community. With the help of Mike Watson, and others at Volition, THQ Noridic, and Deep Silver, Volition finally got the source code in May of 2019.

After getting the source code, Volition requested that they wanted to work on update for Saints Row 2 on PC. The request was approved, and work started on making a new update to finally fix all the issues that were in the original port.

What is coming in this new update

What we know:

• This will not a remaster
  • Console exclusive DLC coming to PC for free
  • Steamworks for online co-op and multiplayer
  • New save file format
  • Extended draw distance
  • Fixing misplaced objects in cut scenes/stutter in cutscreens
  • Less compressed audio
  • Better performance/no more speed-up issues
  • Bug fixes
  • Different SteamID, meaning this will technically not be an update to the current Saints Row 2 Steam version, but rather a separate release.

This will come for free for owners of the original Saints Row 2 on Steam. Volition currently doesn't have plans to bring these changes to the GOG version of the game. Also, it isn't confirmed if Steam achievements will be added, and when this update will be released.

What do you think about this? Are you excited for all these fixes finally coming to Saints Row 2 on PC, or are you more excited for Saints Row 5?

Edited by AlexKVideos1
Note about DLC being free is fixed

• Aemony featured this topic

As nice as this is, it's unfortunately THQ's fault and responsibility.  They, and many other publishers, often cheaped out on the PC versions of games because console revenue dominated, and never cared if they fixed it or not.  The fact the port's abysmal quality didn't make make major news back in 2009 shows just how the industry was skewed heavily towards consoles.  It was just another "oh this game runs like crap on PC, but who cares about PC anyway amirite" situation.

• AlexKVideos1 changed the title to Saints Row 2 is finally getting fixed

And nobody cares. I liked Volition in Red Faction Guerrilla. The rest of it… I don't know… I don't like much saints 3, AA- gaming. saints 4 is like… meh. But I confess I liked somewhat gat out of hell, so cool to fly like an angel. 

Are Volition still active? Anyone knows if they have a new game coming?

2 hours ago, tecnocrat said:

And nobody cares. I liked Volition in Red Faction Guerrilla. The rest of it… I don't know… I don't like much saints 3, AA- gaming. saints 4 is like… meh. But I confess I liked somewhat gat out of hell, so cool to fly like an angel. 

Are Volition still active? Anyone knows if they have a new game coming?

Saints Row 5 is in development