Microsoft Internet Games servers for Windows Me and XP shutting down July 31

Spades.jpg.5889f45498d56006168a0ccf4912ec15.jpg

In 2000, Windows Millennium Edition (known as Windows Me) was released. The operating system was bundled with a series of games, known now as Microsoft Internet Games. Composed of five games, Internet Backgammon, Internet Checkers, Internet Spades, Internet Hearts, and Internet Reversi. The biggest feature of these games was the ability to play these games with other users over the internet. While primitive compared to modern online gaming, it was one of the first introductions to online gaming for many users.

Today, it was announced that the servers for Microsoft Internet Games for Windows ME and XP will be shutting down on July 31, 2019, while the Microsoft Internet Games servers for Windows 7 will be shut down on January 22, 2020.

Current players may enjoy the games until the dates above, when game services will cease, and the games listed will no longer be playable.”

If you still have a PC running Windows ME or XP, will you be going back to play any of these games before the servers shut down?

If you still have a PC running Windows ME or XP

lol what? I'd be really surprised to find anyone here on PCGWiki that still uses those OS's AND plays these old games via the game servers. lol

5 hours ago, Oxion3 said:

lol what? I'd be really surprised to find anyone here on PCGWiki that still uses those OS's AND plays these old games via the game servers. lol

I have a working Windows XP desktop currently sitting in a closet.