Earth Defense Force 5 coming to Steam on July 11th

edf5.jpg.0bd896566f6bea6e17841bdd58a9252a.jpg

Today, D3 Publisher has announced that the previously PlayStation 4 exclusive Earth Defense Force 5, initially released in 2017, will be receiving a PC edition. The PC edition will launch on Steam in only three days, July 11th.

Earth Defense Force 5, the latest title in the Earth Defense Force franchise, is a third-person shooter that has players engage in firefights against hostile alien insects. Players have access to four classes, each with unique weapons and abilities (including jet packs, and power armor).

The entire campaign also has allows for four-player online cooperative play, as well as support for local split-screen play.

D3 Publisher has not revealed pricing for the game, nor inclusion of the console edition's DLC.

Man I had a blast with EDF 4.1 on PC, was kinda miffed they didn't release 5 on PC at the same time as consoles.  I was tempted to buy the DLC for the game in the meantime, but at least the sequel is coming out.  It's very unfortunate that every Japanese publisher and their mother is adopting the Rockstar approach to PC.

Edit:  Apparently the top down shmup spinoff, "Wing Diver the Shooter", was released on PC last year, and strangely appears that this is the only western release of the game.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:50 PM, Luigi master89 said:

Man I had a blast with EDF 4.1 on PC, was kinda miffed they didn't release 5 on PC at the same time as consoles.  I was tempted to buy the DLC for the game in the meantime, but at least the sequel is coming out.  It's very unfortunate that every Japanese publisher and their mother is adopting the Rockstar approach to PC.

Edit:  Apparently the top down shmup spinoff, "Wing Diver the Shooter", was released on PC last year, and strangely appears that this is the only western release of the game.

At least PC didn't have to wait too long. The console version of EDF 5 didn't launch internationally until December 2018, so a six month wait isn't nearly as bad as Rockstar's GTA V release "scheduling".

21 hours ago, AnotherGills said:

At least PC didn't have to wait too long. The console version of EDF 5 didn't launch internationally until December 2018, so a six month wait isn't nearly as bad as Rockstar's GTA V release "scheduling".

In all fairness, at least GTAV supports aspect ratios besides 16:9 and framerates above 60.  EDF5 is yet another straight PS4 port, capped to PS4 resolution and locked to PS4 framerate.  I was going to just dismiss it for being Japanese, but a lot of newer Japanese ports are starting to support more arbitrary PC features.  Thank goodness I still have a 60hz 1080p monitor, I can't even imagine the displeasure of most games not supporting high FPS or ultrawide, I can barely stomach 30FPS anymore.

24 minutes ago, Luigi master89 said:

In all fairness, at least GTAV supports aspect ratios besides 16:9 and framerates above 60.  EDF5 is yet another straight PS4 port, capped to PS4 resolution and locked to PS4 framerate.  I was going to just dismiss it for being Japanese, but a lot of newer Japanese ports are starting to support more arbitrary PC features.  Thank goodness I still have a 60hz 1080p monitor, I can't even imagine the displeasure of most games not supporting high FPS or ultrawide, I can barely stomach 30FPS anymore.

I know that feeling. I have a 144hz monitor, and recently got burned with Final Fantasy XIV. XIV initially had an unlocked frame rate option, and a few days after I resubscribed (around the time of it's latest expansion pack release), Square-Enix implemented a 90fps cap.

In general, Japanese developers are getting much better on PC, but having unlocked frame rates is something I am still longing for.

I still don't understand why they imposed an FPS cap, especially at a value as random as 90, when the game operated just fine for years.  I suspect it's something similar to what happened to Gauntlet 2014, where if the FPS was unlocked, people's computers would be working overtime and potentially overheat their components, laptops in particular.  If you complain about it enough, they may fix it, provided you don't get walled by the "you physically cannot see the difference between 60 and 120 fps" and "we used to play on PS2s bro, it's not a big deal" people.  Those people, in addition to double dippers, need to be rounded up and hanged.  It's quickly becoming the final solution to ensure good PC ports, eliminate the sycophants.