Tim Sweeney confirms talks ongoing to integrate Epic Games Store with GOG Galaxy 2.0

gogepic.jpg

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, has surprised us all by confirming that talks are ongoing with GOG.com to integrate Epic Games Store with GOG and their service, GOG Galaxy 2.0. This is surprising considering that Epic Games Store strategy has been one of exclusivity - although we note that this pertains mostly to Steam rather than Microsoft or other online distribution platforms.

See the tweet here:

We await news on what happens next - will Epic Games Store games get any rich integrations with GOG Galaxy 2.0?

Wonder if Epic is going to take this seriously, or if they're just saying so because MS has officially jumped on board.

Gaming PR between big companies in this day and age is about as cutthroat as 'microtransactions' in games these days.

8 hours ago, Expack3 said:

Wonder if Epic is going to take this seriously, or if they're just saying so because MS has officially jumped on board.

Gaming PR between big companies in this day and age is about as cutthroat as 'microtransactions' in games these days.

To be honest I am very skeptical as everything points to a very superficial integration between most platforms and GOG Galaxy, especially Epic Games Store.

40 minutes ago, Andytizer said:

To be honest I am very skeptical as everything points to a very superficial integration between most platforms and GOG Galaxy, especially Epic Games Store.

A superficial implementation is what I got out of the original announcement. For example, it might seem like more meaningful integration would be required to install, say, a Steam game, but if you take a closer look at how games are installed outside the Steam client, it's just a custom URL which is designed to be picked up by the client.

The only real integration I see needing to happen is the ability to get read permissions for a player's collection on a particular platform when the correct credentials are provided, if the API to do so does not already exist. As another example, "Sign on with Steam" on sites like SteamDB gives them read permissions on your account's games, among other permissions.

Edited by Expack3
Clarity

I imagined this would be dead-on-arrival and that GOG would have to, on their own, implement support for running the various install commands of other platforms. But that they're actually "in talks" might suggest we might see some more complex integration than simply querying the web APIs of the platforms and executing the relevant protocol URI.

6 hours ago, Aemony said:

I imagined this would be dead-on-arrival and that GOG would have to, on their own, implement support for running the various install commands of other platforms. But that they're actually "in talks" might suggest we might see some more complex integration than simply querying the web APIs of the platforms and executing the relevant protocol URI.

Tim has already said he doesn't want to get bogged down with additional APIs for EGS. Its why they already got caught uploading steam user-data without consent and why they should already be sued sky high... aside form that, this is clearly a move to protect Tim's bottom line, no other reason for it - since he doesn't care about consumer or other companies.