Proposal: Batch upload on MediaWiki

Aemony

Support for batch uploads could improve the speed of which users upload multiple screenshots for use in the articles. This seems at first glance as a relative easy feature to implement, as the functionality is already provided through extensions to MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Bulk_upload

Possible concerns:

• How does this relate to the new backend for images and thumbnails? Does the extension need to have support to make use of the DigitalOcean Space?
  • A few months ago when I tried to do something similar using multiple tabs I would often hit an error similar to a  429, Too many requests, and have a few of the uploads cancelled until I let the current ones finish. Is this something that would occur, and if so, do we need to increase the number of allowed connections per user on the backend?

In addition, the landing page after uploading should have a <textarea> field of the filename for each upload for easy copy and paste. In the best case it would already be formatted like "{{image|Name_of_image.png|}}".

12 minutes ago, Garrett said:

The Wikimedia Commons uses UploadWizard, so that would probably be the one to go with.

Yes this looks good - shall we add it to Snuxoll's list of stuff to install.. I think it's low priority at the moment but will ask him to do post-planned migration in June/July.