Forcing AA on AMD Cards? (GTA V)

I'm having a really difficult time forcing AA into this game, I have no idea if it is even working. Does AMD have some kinda equivalent to Nvidia Inspector?

Those solutions are kinda garbage compared to NVIDIA's control panel. I'll try renaming the executable for Evil Genius but I can't be arsed right now. I'll see if DX10 works for GTA V, even though I should be able to just play in the DX11 mode.

I've been trying to force AA on Evil Genius right now and it looks like ass. This game looked perfect on my NVIDIA card. Why does AMD have such poor AA solutions compared to NVIDIA? I'm honestly heavily considering never buying an AMD card ever again, even though I always liked ATI\AMD more than NVIDIA.

I don't know I just hope it's actually my fault and hopefully I'm doing something horribly wrong, I'll try to find some other solutions if these don't work. VSR kinda sucks seeing as most old games don't have scaleable UI's so playing in that mode is going to be horrible.

bSim1V8.png

I remember instead when I wanted to force AA in Mass Effect, and nvidia people were all around inspector and finding the right bits.

Here instead it just workedâ„¢.

And that's what exe renaming served once upon a time.

Aside of that.. What's your problem with just having MSAA?

I don't remember nvidia control panel offering much more choice, for what multisampling is concerned.

I remember instead when I wanted to force AA in Mass Effect, and nvidia people were all around inspector and finding the right bits.

Here instead it just workedâ„¢.

And that's what exe renaming served once upon a time.

Aside of that.. What's your problem with just having MSAA?

I don't remember nvidia control panel offering much more choice, for what multisampling is concerned.

The forced AA is not being applied properly for some reason. Even at 8x, when on my Nvidia build there were no jaggies at all.

I can confirm that forcing AA does not work at all in GTA 5. I can also confirm that forcing AA does work in some games (like Giants: Citizen Kabuto).

Basically, you just have to pray that it will do something. In GTA's case, you'll have to use the in-game MSAA.

• 1 month later...

You can't enforce any hardware driven anti-aliasing in any DX10 (or higher) game, neither on AMD nor on nVidia cards. It works flawless with games that use forward rendering and has issues with deferred rendering. Nvidia has the possibility to manipulate the render pipeline by choosing suitable flags/bits which allowed great anti-aliasing on deferred renderers as well. However, it seems to be very difficult to implement the same functionality into the DX10 (or higher)  driver. That's why we propably never get "classical" good anti-aliasing on newer game titles. Thus, MSAA got really expensive because it has to be calculated at every render pass which makes it an inefficient solution to fight aliasing.

On the bottom line: The market is developing towards higher resolutions which reduces the amount of visible aliasing. Efficient temporal anti-aliasing techniques also provide really good results which amend high resolutions. As a trade off you can use post process filters like FXAA, SMAA or MLAA provides by the games themselves and combine it with supersampling (DSR/VSR) to get smooth looking image.

This is why I don't buy AMD cards personally. If they could force AA on games as well as Nvidia cards in DX9, and at similar quality (Mass Effect was known for being poor quality when forced). I'd gladly use an AMD card as well.

I can totally see, especially with respect to whatever you have managed to do, your point.

But really, it's funny you talk about mass effect (probably the only single-player game I played so much I started to care for "wasted quality" and so I tried to trade some above 60FPS perf for AA) where driver-MSAA worked really pretty good.

I wonder when it has been last time you tried this stuff.

One trick is using Virtual Super Resolution in combination with morphological filtering.

Once you super-sampled, what's even the point in runing the image with post-proc?

You can't enforce any hardware driven anti-aliasing in any DX10 (or higher) game, neither on AMD nor on nVidia cards.

I regret I have to disagree.

Once you super-sampled, what's even the point in runing the image with post-proc?

Clean up whatever small jaggies are left for practically nothing? (the post process AA should also be more accurate due to the increased amount of rendered pixels it can analyze and work with)