Ideal games to use on an SSD?

Would every single game benefit from an SSD? Which games should ideally be installed on an SSD first? Also is there anything that should be done after installing an SSD? Or will the OS handle everything?

There would be a benefit to install every game on a SSD but for most game that improvement would be negligible. The best games to install on a SSD are games with very long and/or frequent loading times.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in particular to do after the game's installed.

I'm used to console level times with loading screens, so high performance HDD has been more than fine and I'm certain games are designed around that users are most likely having the game installed on HDD. 

So basically games that is played often, like multiplayer games, so you can drop in to playsessions faster. 

As for is there anything to be done after installing SSD, basically no as HDD and SSD act exactly the same under OS, however many do some stuff to avoid the SSD from getting constant writes and unneccessary files.

For example I have all my user folders redirected to X: drive (games are on O:), games can do tons of writes and store tons of data to the "documents" folder for example. (This is why I noticed that MGR:R stored data on C: instead of variable) The place can be changed natively by opening folders properties and using "location" tab. I have also moved my temp folders under X: as well by changing enviromental variable, with machine and user respectively as those folders also get tons of writes and can have tons of data which could be used better with SSD. 

Then there are other things like moving page file to HDD and disable hibernation mode, but I have seen both cases causing some minor issues in certain scenarios. 

As for is there anything to be done after installing SSD, basically no as HDD and SSD act exactly the same under OS, however many do some stuff to avoid the SSD from getting constant writes and unneccessary files.

For example I have all my user folders redirected to X: drive (games are on O:), games can do tons of writes and store tons of data to the "documents" folder for example. (This is why I noticed that MGR:R stored data on C: instead of variable) The place can be changed natively by opening folders properties and using "location" tab. I have also moved my temp folders under X: as well by changing enviromental variable, with machine and user respectively as those folders also get tons of writes and can have tons of data which could be used better with SSD.

Couldn't I just install the OS on my HDD in order to avoid having to do all that? I never minded the boot times on my PC, it usually loads up pretty quickly. Or would I miss out on a bunch of stuff.

I don't really feel like changing everything up, and I was just going to store my data on the HDD anyway. I might as well just install the OS on my SSD and use it as it is. I mean I guess I'll just move the folders too, meh shouldn't take too long. No point in being lazy about I suppose.

I don't know, I kinda feel like installing the OS on the SSD and just roll with it until I get an idea of what it is like. Could we have an article for SSD related optimizations?

Well, for instance WB reccomends an install to SSD for Batman Arkham Knight. Some games benefit from it... and in the case of Batman and its horrendous issues, some games may just need it. I'd say though if you really need a viable suggestion, MMO's, other MP rich games, games where faster loading would be nice, and after that, consider any game made after 2012.

It definitely helps Arkham Knight a bit, but after the latest patches I have fairly good perf. The mention on Saints Row 2 page is true too. The very big FPS drops are gone when SR2 is on SSD (still runs like crap tho)

Couldn't I just install the OS on my HDD in order to avoid having to do all that? I never minded the boot times on my PC, it usually loads up pretty quickly. Or would I miss out on a bunch of stuff.

I don't really feel like changing everything up, and I was just going to store my data on the HDD anyway. I might as well just install the OS on my SSD and use it as it is. I mean I guess I'll just move the folders too, meh shouldn't take too long. No point in being lazy about I suppose.

I don't know, I kinda feel like installing the OS on the SSD and just roll with it until I get an idea of what it is like. Could we have an article for SSD related optimizations?

One of the main benefits of the SSD comes from installing OS and applications on it as they can perform really fast. To me it sounds really pointless to not use it on those as that's where the actual benefits come from. 

You can just keep everything where they are just, most of the optimization is from earlier times when even 64 GB SSD costed fortune and they lasted for much less read/write cycles. Nowdays it's more of enthusiast level stuff, who want their SSDs to simply last longer or want more space to have e.g. more games on there. 

And because of that it does feel like the wiki is late on the train again with this, but do not see any harm of having article for storages in general. Especially for stating negatives like why disabling page file is a bad idea even if you have bazillion gigabytes of ram. 

Well, for instance WB reccomends an install to SSD for Batman Arkham Knight. Some games benefit from it... and in the case of Batman and its horrendous issues, some games may just need it. I'd say though if you really need a viable suggestion, MMO's, other MP rich games, games where faster loading would be nice, and after that, consider any game made after 2012.

But that was because the company doing the porting job screwed things up royally and recommending SSD was essentially brute forcing approach to fix the problem. Game does benefit from it, sure, but that's because the game was f'd up to begin with.  

And because of that it does feel like the wiki is late on the train again with this, but do not see any harm of having article for storages in general. Especially for stating negatives like why disabling page file is a bad idea even if you have bazillion gigabytes of ram. 

That would be nice. I have little knowledge about storage and having a page dedicated to it end its relation with games would be a welcome addition to me at the very least.

Would every single game benefit from an SSD?

Just those with lot of stuff "to load".

Then I guess there might even be a difference (aside of raw "loaded GBs") whether a game has optimized data, loaded sequentially (good for everybody), or randomly sparse resources (disastrous on HDD)

Which games should ideally be installed on an SSD first?

Those you care most? d:

Also is there anything that should be done after installing an SSD?

Hopes nobody is on the "omg lifespan is limited, let's avoid paging file on ssd, as if that wrote TB per day and more in general every possible kind of write activity" train

Or will the OS handle everything?

As long as you are on Win7+ you are fine.

You can just keep everything where they are just, most of the optimization is from earlier times when even 64 GB SSD costed fortune and they lasted for much less read/write cycles. Nowdays it's more of enthusiast level stuff, who want their SSDs to simply last longer or want more space to have e.g. more games on there.

Like.. hundreds of written TeraBytes, instead of PetaBytes?

I never wanted to disable the Pagefile, and I've decided already to just install Windows on the SSD without changing any paths. What should a storage page be called? Just Storage?

One thing I'd love to know is if SSD can increase performance in certain titles. Skyrim does stutter on HDD, not an SSD - must have a positive effect on benchmarks right?

Once again, depents highly on the game in question and even then, I'm certain that differences are mostly noteable in loading times only. This is also why majority of benchmarks made with SSD vs HDD are with loading times only. Like with Arkham Knight, stutters caused by data streaming look more like bad optimization from developer and SSD is simply brute forcing trough it. 

Skyrim being bethesda open world game, I would still personally just install it on SSD. 

One thing I'd love to know is if SSD can increase performance in certain titles. Skyrim does stutter on HDD, not an SSD - must have a positive effect on benchmarks right?

Well, that's like your opinion.

Did you measure or read that skyrim stutter because of hdd activity?

I mean.. it's not like in such a flawed games causes might not be plenty. Like this.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 237 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online