Bioshock Win 8 (10)

Vorob

The shadows are just broken for the most part, I am not sure if there's any other factors related to it.

The drivers used for Windows 10 would be different; maybe using a different driver version under Windows 8 would also fix the issue?

It's worth noting that the Windows 10 Technical Preview does not contain all the features and compatibility of the RTM version so information relating to it shouldn't be added to the wiki at this point; the Windows 10 Consumer Preview (due early next year) will be essentially feature-complete and so results under that version will be applicable to the RTM version.

I could then clarify does it effect 8.1 as well as there are some differences between 8 and 8.1.

The only gaming compatibility changes between 8 and 8.1 that I know of off-hand are both mouse-related (kb2908279 and kb2907016). Other differences will be due to the graphics card driver and/or the selected renderer (Windows 8.1 introduced DirectX 11.2 which is already supported by some games).

I would even like to see a similar comparison with red faction guerilla alleged issues

Red Faction: Guerilla's pending Steamworks update changes the default renderer due to those issues so apparently they are real enough to do that.

The only gaming compatibility changes between 8 and 8.1 that I know of off-hand are both mouse-related (kb2908279 and kb2907016). Other differences will be due to the graphics card driver and/or the selected renderer (Windows 8.1 introduced DirectX 11.2 which is already supported by some games).

Red Faction: Guerilla's pending Steamworks update changes the default renderer due to those issues so apparently they are real enough to do that.

I'm also fairly sure windows 8 had no regression in this respect.

Though many people -with few to none competence imo- reported that they couldn't even start the game....

At first they blame GFWL (even though.. cmon.. really? microsoft DRM wouldn't even work on their latest OS?), now iirc they blame god or the spirits..

The game just downright crashed on Windows 8 for me...and I even had uploaded a fix for it.

At first they blame GFWL (even though.. cmon.. really? microsoft DRM wouldn't even work on their latest OS?), now iirc they blame god or the spirits..

Older versions of the GFWL client don't work correctly in-game on Windows 8/8.1 (almost all games bundle an incompatible version) but from what I've seen myself this just means the GFWL overlay won't open in-game; I haven't had it make a GFWL game fail to launch altogether.

The operating system and DRM are often the first things to be blamed but a sizeable percentage of the rarer issues reported by players are due to the specific configuration of the user's system (e.g. certain background processes that conflict with some games).

Older versions of the GFWL client don't work correctly in-game on Windows 8/8.1 (almost all games bundle an incompatible version) but from what I've seen myself this just means the GFWL overlay won't open in-game; I haven't had it make a GFWL game fail to launch altogether.

The operating system and DRM are often the first things to be blamed but a sizeable percentage of the rarer issues reported by players are due to the specific configuration of the user's system (e.g. certain background processes that conflict with some games).

Yes, I had problems too with GFWL.

But after I manually updated the client, well, I think I may say it was as straightforward as steam actually.

What really pissed me off was that I was continuously suggesting to try to update the client.. but do you think anybody ever cared to report back if it worked...? :\

GFWL always worked perfectly fine for me on Windows 8 so far, I am pretty sure I downloaded it from the Xbox website. I never had any issues playing my games offline either.

GFWL always worked perfectly fine for me on Windows 8 so far, I am pretty sure I downloaded it from the Xbox website. I never had any issues playing my games offline either.

Well, consider yourself lucky then. Glad first Bioshock was available also without it. 

I just realized something, forcing global lightning means disabling dynamic lightning so shadows then are supposed to be broken as objects are getting light from only one global source. That's also why it's defaulted off with higher settings. Same counter intuitive setting thing like "FOV lock" they have. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but to me having worse lighting broken isn't huge negative point. Bioshock was one of my first PC titles I played so I didn't know what those settings meant and of course have forgotten about those. 

At the bottom of this page is great comparison pics: http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_5.html

Also ragdolls look super weird with HFR display :D 

Exactly. That's why I thought it was rather users' fault than GFWL/game's fault

I just realized something, forcing global lightning means disabling dynamic lightning so shadows then are supposed to be broken as objects are getting light from only one global source. That's also why it's defaulted off with higher settings. Same counter intuitive setting thing like "FOV lock" they have. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but to me having worse lighting broken isn't huge negative point. Bioshock was one of my first PC titles I played so I didn't know what those settings meant and of course have forgotten about those. 

So... May it be related to the "light sources visible through objects and terrain" glitch that happened with DX10 renderer?