CONTROL - HDR+Ultrawide+DLSS+RT Patch

1 Screenshot

About This File

Do not ask for DLSS 3.5 or FSR 3 please.

Version 1.5.1 is up. It fixes the hiss/smoke effect on enemies being too bright in HDR.
Version 1.5 is up. It improves the DLSS implementation, improves the quality of shadow and fixes the buggy/noisy ray tracing reflections that are also present in the vanilla game.
Version 1.4 is up. It improves the UI look in HDR and implements the HDR mode that retains the original game look. It improves texture LODs with DLSS. It restores film grain with DLSS and makes it more pronounced. And many other relevant changes.
Version 1.3 is up. It adds a new HDR mode to retain the original hazy look more, keeping it closer to the original artistic vision. It also slightly improves a few other things with the HDR.
Version 1.2.1 is up. It improves the game to screen tonemapping (the highlights were a bit more compressed than they should have been). If you already had the mod installed, make sure to open the "renderer.ini" and change "m_fHDRWhitePaperNits" to 200. Performance is also improved.
Version 1.2 is up. The game is now built with the DLSS 3.1.1 SDK, and uses the new DLSS presets to further increase the quality (and reduce ghosting) (this is NOT frame generation). There are also some minor tonemapping and menus improvements.

This patch adds native HDR and lot more to Control, making it a little bit of a technical remaster. It was achieved by rebuilding the game with modified code and shaders.
This is built on top of my previous Ultrawide fix patch.

Compared to the latest official release version (0.0.344.1879), these are the improvements:

• Native HDR (gets rid of color banding, greater contrast and brighter highlights, more natural colors).
  • Improved quality of SDR output (10bit->no more color banding, slightly better dynamic range).
  • Upgraded DLSS to 3.1.30 and improved its implementation (it's also now compatible with FSR 2.X injection).
  • Added DLAA support (DLSS at native resolution).
  • Added a new "Max" texture setting to improve the slow texture streaming (min 8GB+ VRAM, 10GB+ are recommended).
  • Added a new setting to use 3x as samples for ray tracing and volumetrics, increasing the quality and reducing noise (this is VERY expensive).
  • Fixed broken ray tracing reflections.
  • Fixed low shadow quality when ray tracing was on.
  • Full UltraWide support: unlock any resolution and aspect ratio, including 32:9+.
  • Some FOV and LOD fixes for UW. Fixed UI issues at non 16:9 aspect ratios (e.g. enemies health bars were displaced).
  • Added a FOV Multiplier config setting `m_fFOVMultiplier` (the game and UI are designed for the default FOV, so only use for accessibility reasons).
  • Add a config to skip the intro video `m_bSkipIntroVideos`.
  • Improved window+borderless+fullscreen management.
  • Fixed the game not launching correctly on non Nvidia non AMD GPUs (e.g. Intel Arc).
  • Restored film grain with DLSS. Tweaked the film grain implementation.
  • Minor crash fixes, bug fixes and features.

How does it work:

1. Download your version of the patch (Steam, Epic Store, No DRM/GOG).
  2. Copy (with replace) all the files inside the Control install folder.
  3. Open the DX12 version of the game.
  4. You can turn on HDR either from Windows or from the game (on by default).
  5. The game will read the Windows 11 HDR calibration profile (app) and match its tonemapping to your screen capabilities.
    Otherwise see the guide below to calibrate HDR.
  6. Using HGiG is suggested if your TV supports it (monitors usually default to HGiG).
  7. In the game settings, there are multiple HDR settings to tailor the image to your liking, though know that the HDR is already pre-calibrated to roughly match the SDR brightness.

Further details:

• You can swap between HDR and SDR from the game or Windows at any time. The game automatically changes.
  • Further HDR settings are avaiable in the "renderer.ini" file (after running the game once).
  • config "m_fHDRMaxNitsOverride": If you are incapable of creating an HDR calibration profile (e.g. Windows 10), set this to the nits max nits your screen supports (e.g. ~750 for LG CX).
    The game supports any value there, though if your screen maxes out at only 400 nits, you might want to compare HDR and SDR and play whichever looks best.
  • config "m_fHDRRaisedBlacksCorrection" (also exposed to settings menu): This makes the color correction LUT output black as black (instead of grey, depending on where you are).
  • config "m_fHDRSaturation" (also exposed to settings menu): This artificially generates colors in the Rec.2020 space from the game internal Rec.709 image. Anything that is bright and saturated will shift to colors that don't exist in SDR. This makes the game look more saturated, though it could also make it feel more "HDR". Unreal Engine uses a similar technique.
  • The HDR implementation skips the Reinhard tonemapper the game used in SDR. In my opinion it made the image look overly flat, which was a choice dictated by the limitations of SDR. Removing it allows to take full advantage of HDR, by outputting an image with a much greater level of contrast, and without disadvantages to visibility.
  • If you prefer the original look, enable "HDR Original Look" in the settings menu, which is somewhere in between the SDR tonemapper and my HDR one.
    Disabling the tonemapper in SDR is not the intent of this mod, so it will not be done.
    You can further customize the og look mode by changing the "m_fHDRArtDirectorWhitePoint" config. Set it to a value of 8 to have it as strong as it was in SDR.
  • Note that a very tiny amount of scenes (e.g. the game opening and the furnace), can look a little unbalanced in HDR due to overly strong lights or strong color correction. Use the "HDR Original Look" if this a problem for you.
  • You can set "m_fSDRCustomGamma" to any value > 0 to set a specific gamma, for example if you use a TV instead of a monitor, 2.2 would likely be the best choice.
  • The performance impact from the new code should be within the 1-4% range when running in HDR, and lower running in SDR.
  • HDR is only supported on the DX12 executable.
  • There is no patch for the Microsoft Store version of the game.
  • If for some reasons you need to swap save files between game versions from different stores, you can find the directories here. You might also have to rename the internal save directory, e.g. from `Default-Generic-User` to `Default-Epic-User`.
  • This should work both on the Ultimate Edition and the older standard version that had separate DLCs. The DLC ownership might not be mutually compatible.
  • The save game files are mutually compatible with the official last version fo the game (v0.0.344.1879).
  • PS4 exclusive content is still locked and I will not unlock it. Do not ask please.
  • You can generally change graphics settings at runtime, but don't report problems unless you restart the game.
  • The new UI options miss localization, so they will always show in English.
  • My "Max" texture setting might not be as aggressive as the "Blurry textures fix" mod that was already out there, though it's more safe and stable, performance wise.
    All textures now load immediately, the only exception being a couple of small paintings around the game.
  • I got report that mods like the "Plugin Loader" do not play well with this one. I have contacted the author to hopefully fix the issue.
  • There is no plan to implement DLSS 3 Frame Generation at this time. Please do not ask.

Rare game bug likely not related to this patch:

• Very rarely, the videos in the background of loading screens seem to get stuck. I haven't been able to reproduce this reliably, but it probably also happens in the the vanilla game.
  • Rarely, after long sessions, if ray tracing GI is enabled, the game renders in black until restarted. This also happens in the vanilla game.
  • Occasionally non ray traced reflections can shimmer. This also happens in the the vanilla game. Doing a fast travel fixes it.
  • 8k resolutuon might not work right (untested).
  • If pre-rendered videos show tearing on RTX 4090 GPUs, disable re-bar.

How to report any potential issues:

1. Do not start with the assumption that the mod broken, it's been tested a lot. Verify all potential issues from your end first.
  2. Do a fresh install of the latest vanilla game version.
  3. Delete your renderer.ini settings file.
  4. Make sure the issue does NOT happen on the vanilla game. This patch does not aim to fix the bugs of the original game (nor to optimize it), so do not report them please.
  5. Re-apply the latest version of the patch, from the matching store, and override all the files.
  6. If all the above fail, leave a comment on this page.

How does this compare to AutoHDR: AutoHDR is just a post process so it doesn't add any detail. Specifically in Control it makes bright lights and the UI too bright.
How does this compare to SpecialK HDR: SpecialK can increase the rendering buffers depth, thus increasing the amount of color shades the game can output (less banding), but it can't extract any brightness beyond what the SDR tonemapper clamped the game to, so it's mostly still a SDR image with more precision.

Given HDR screenshots can't be seen in browsers, I've uploaded a collection of them. There are SDR .png alongside their HDR .jxr counterpart.
Use the "HDR Image Viewer" app to see them (use this code branch if the app crashes).

Discord community: https://discord.gg/R2Bt3uptw6

Virus Scan

you can Buy me a coffee or PayPal
Thanks: `KoKlusz` `Lilium` `PennyFortnite player420yolo` `Darktalon` `Aemony` `mrtnptrs` and `Alex Battaglia` for the help with testing and feedback.

HDR videos:

more HDR videos here (4K) and here (low bit rate, potentially slightly wrong colors due to the capture).

Control 2022-12-05 19_45_28.png

Control HDR Screenshots.7z

Control_DX12_AQFd0vjSW9.png

DLSS improvements between patch 1.3 and 1.4 with Ultra Performance mode:
image.thumb.png.ed7fe1276377025c7af3cd1c5f3499ce.png

What's New in Version 1.5.1   See changelog

Released

• Fixes hiss (smoke) effect around enemies being too bright in HDR (it was broken in 1.3).

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 2/4/2023 at 3:26 AM, Silbervogel said:
On 2/3/2023 at 9:32 PM, Lightforce said:

I have a strange continuous fps decrease on the Ultimate Edition. I have an RTX 4090 + Ryzen 9 5900X + 64 Go DDR4 and playing in 5120x1440 + HDR + DLSS on Windows 11 with the latest NVidia drivers (528.24).

When I start the game, or when I change a "big" display parameter like enabling/disabling DLSS or HDR, it "starts" at 120 fps then decreasing progressively, while slowing down this decrease over the time. I waited something like 2 min at the hub and it went as low as 20 fps.

Can confirm, I'm experiencing the same issue. Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 3080 (non-Ti). The FPS counter goes from triple digits to a slideshow in 10 seconds or less while standing in Central Executive.

Yup, still have the problem even after the 1.1 update.

Share this comment

Just now, Lightforce said:

I don't have that issue, I have an almost identical setup, though a 3090. No issues, I've toggled HDR/SDR 150 times, there isn't a single MB of memory leaks.
Though I always restart games after changing graphic settings just to be sure.
The problem you are having might also be present with the vanilla game. Or maybe it's G-Sync?
Nobody else had that problem. Try to lower the graphic settings otherwise.

Share this comment

34 minutes ago, filoppi said:

The problem you are having might also be present with the vanilla game. Or maybe it's G-Sync?
Nobody else had that problem. Try to lower the graphic settings otherwise.

Don't have this problem on the vanilla game.
Just tested with g-sync off, still have the problem.

Tried lower the settings too, same.

EDIT : scratch that, it's becaused I keep installed some parts of other mods who remained there even after files repairing through Steam.
The solution : uninstall and delete the entire folder of the game, reinstall it properly and install the mod. Now working perfectly.

Share this comment

15 hours ago, Lightforce said:

It should be fixed in the 1.1.1 update.

It was due to the `m_fHDRMaxNitsOverride` config setting being set to anything > 0. I could also reproduce it locally. It should be smooth now.

Share this comment

I can confirm that my FPS no longer decreases over time with the 1.1.1 update. Getting it above 60–70 with ray tracing set to high and DLAA at native (2560x1440) resolution enabled will be difficult, but that's a hardware problem on my end, so no grievances here 🙂

I also reinstalled the game from scratch before updating, completely purging my Steam installation folder of any files, including mods. This might've played a part as well. I suspect the Better Character Illumination mod could have been the culprit, considering how it also makes certain lighting changes.

At any rate, the game works fine now. Thank you for the update, @filoppi! Just in time for yet another playthrough 🙂

Share this comment

All right, I'm here again with an update on the FPS decrease: it certainly was not due to the mod. I've narrowed the culprit down to the DynaHUD mod: after I installed it, the game started bleeding FPS at a considerable pace. I've removed it for now, but I'm curious about the possible incompatibility. Is it due to the .js and .css files in the mod's ui/hud folder? Could they somehow interfere with the HDR patch?

Share this comment

36 minutes ago, henrypdt said:

DLSS is making the the walls/textures pixelated and noisy. Is there anyway to fix that?

You did install this mod over the installed game without making any other modifications through mods or replacing the DLSS dll file before and/or after you installed this mod right?

Share this comment

2 hours ago, henrypdt said:

DLSS is making the the walls/textures pixelated and noisy. Is there anyway to fix that?

I am also having this issue. Mainly with the diamond plated elevator floors and fencing.

Did a fresh install of the game and then installed only this mod.

I'm also still getting intermittent blurry textures. The "Blurry textures fix" mod worked flawlessly fyi. I even tried it with this mod but no luck.

But other than that, WOW! This game is absolutely stunning in native HDR!!! Amazing work!!!

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, Beavosaur said:

I am also having this issue. Mainly with the diamond plated elevator floors and fencing.

Did a fresh install of the game and then installed only this mod.

I'm also still getting intermittent blurry textures. The "Blurry textures fix" mod worked flawlessly fyi. I even tried it with this mod but no luck.

But other than that, WOW! This game is absolutely stunning in native HDR!!! Amazing work!!!

Lmao you replied as I was typing this up

Yeah, I did a clean reinstall aswell to make sure. I think I figured out whats the problem is with some testing. The pixelation is only for certain reflective textures such as the doors or the picture where the black background is semi reflective and only when RT is on. Ive done some testing around with some settings and im pretty sure the issue is DLSS tryna upscale RT ray trace of some sort

There are the cases that Ive tested:

1. DLSS/DLAA on with RT without RT increase sample count = dark reflective surfaces RT blurry and pixelation noticeable

2. DLSS/DLAA on with RT with RT increase sample count = dark reflective surfaces RT more rays reflected and tho there are still small pixelation noise, its barely noticeable but ofc performance tank

3. DLSS/DLAA on with RT off = No RT lighting so no pixelation aswell

3. No DLSS/LDAA with RT on with and without RT increase sample count = no pixelation

Overall the pixelation seems to due to DLSS messing up the RT rays reflection somehow and is kinda alleviated by enabling RT increase sample count.

Share this comment

5 minutes ago, henrypdt said:

Yeah, I did a clean redownload aswell to make sure. I think I figured out whats the problem is with some testing. The pixelation is only for certain reflective textures such as the doors or the picture where the black background is semi reflective and only when RT is on. Ive done some testing around with some settings and im pretty sure the issue is DLSS tryna upscale RT ray trace of some sort

There are the cases that Ive tested:

1. DLSS/DLAA on with RT without RT increase sample count = dark reflective surfaces RT blurry and pixelation noticeable

2. DLSS/DLAA on with RT with RT increase sample count = dark reflective surfaces RT more rays reflected and tho there are still small pixelation, its barely noticeable but ofc performance tank

3. DLSS/DLAA on with RT off = No RT lighting so no pixelation aswell

3. No DLSS/LDAA with RT on with and without RT increase sample count = no pixelation

Overall the pixelation seems to due to DLSS messing up the RT rays reflection somehow and is kinda alleviated by enabling RT increase sample count.

I'll try this out when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I did some sort of combination of this last night and couldn't get rid of it. Even with DLSS/DLAA off. But I'll do some more thorough testing and report back. This little bit of pixelation isn't a huge deal to me really as the game looks so good in native HDR. The blurry textures are what really bother me.

Share this comment

22 hours ago, henrypdt said:

Yeah, I did a clean redownload aswell to make sure. I think I figured out whats the problem is with some testing. The pixelation is only for certain reflective textures such as the doors or the picture where the black background is semi reflective and only when RT is on. Ive done some testing around with some settings and im pretty sure the issue is DLSS tryna upscale RT ray trace of some sort

Yeah, DLSS doesn't always work great with unstable ray tracing. I have patch 1.2 incoming which implements DLSS 3.1.1 natively and that should improve that aspect, but I've hit a technical blocker with the new DLSS for now.
Don't use the new DLSS 3.1.1 dll for now.

Regarding textures, my mod "Max" setting is likely not as aggressive as the "Blurry textures fix" mod, though it's more safe and stable, performance wise.
Up to you which one you use.

Edit: DLSS 3.1.1 is now built within the 1.2 patch.

Share this comment

On 2/12/2023 at 7:20 AM, filoppi said:

Yeah, DLSS doesn't always work great with unstable ray tracing. I have patch 1.2 incoming which implements DLSS 3.1.1 natively and that should improve that aspect, but I've hit a technical blocker with the new DLSS for now.
Don't use the new DLSS 3.1.1 dll for now.

Regarding textures, my mod "Max" setting is likely not as aggressive as the "Blurry textures fix" mod, though it's more safe and stable, performance wise.
Up to you which one you use.

Edit: DLSS 3.1.1 is now built within the 1.2 patch.

Ive tried it out and the noisy ray tracing is still there. It might be better for tbh Im not sure I can see the difference between this DLSS version and last, so Im just gonna use this latest 1.2 update. I dont think this is a problem that you can fix because from what I've been seeing, the noisy RT pixelation is inevitable.

My hypothesis is this, the same noisy RT pixelation when DLSS is on can also be be seen when DLSS is off when you move your camera around but it doesnt when the camera is still, so because DLSS use motion vector (IIRC) to upscale the game, it essentially adds in the noisy RT pixelation originally coming from when the camera is in motion like I said into the new upscaled DLSS frames even when the camera is still. I'm mainly testing in the central executive elevator pathway section using the elevator walls and floors

Your "max" texture resolution still makes the texture blurry quite often so I might use the "Blurry textures fix" mod instead.

Either way, thanks for the great mod :)). I'll keep on looking forward to your future updates

Control_DX12_zLt5CjmhCq.jpg

Control_DX12_pJKEyJjwHf.jpg

Share this comment

Is there any chance we could get the 'Ultra Quality' DLSS option back in the menu, like your Ultrawide fix added? I can keep editing the render.ini with the DLSS res I want, but it would be cool to have it in the menu just for convenience when I try new DLSS dll's. 

Share this comment

Does any1 know a mod that can adjust the "Controller camera acceleration"? It is so awful in this game when using the controller and moving camera around (Feel super heavy). Appreciate any help!

Share this comment

13 hours ago, henrypdt said:

Ive tried it out and the noisy ray tracing is still there. It might be better for tbh Im not sure I can see the difference between this DLSS version and last, so Im just gonna use this latest 1.2 update. I dont think this is a problem that you can fix because from what I've been seeing, the noisy RT pixelation is inevitable.

This game denoiser was designed to work with old DLSS builds, you can still drag and drop 2.2.6 dll if for less noisy RT, but it has major downsides elsewhere (ghosting, flickering on the distance).

Swimming noise gonna happen with old model too anyway, it calms down only really when you stand still.

Share this comment

4 minutes ago, Kenji390 said:

Has anyone figured out how to enable playstation DLC with this mod?

I can't test the 'mission' (if you can call it that, go look up what it entails), as I'm not far enough into the game, but I had all the edits in place on my previous exe before installing this mod, and I had played a good bit of the game. I loaded this up, and I still have all the outfits (2 PS ones and the PC pre order one), they're all selectable and usable as before. 

Imo, that's the cool part anyway. What I don't know is if these outfits are unlocked with this mod, or they're now just tied to my save. Not personally going to try to start a new game and check, but if you don't already have them, you could try getting rid of the mod, modding the stock exe, loading it up, getting them and then reinstalling the mod. Will probably work. 

Share this comment

this is incredible work - thank you! What are the chancees of being able to add DLSS3 Frame Generation? That combined with native DLAA+increased rays would be my dream on a 4090. Thanks again!

Share this comment

Written with Google translate:

Hello, I just downloaded this mod (epic games version) but I don't know exactly where and how to install it, it's the first time I've installed a mod. I have Epic Games installed in C and all their games in D Any indication that can help me in the process? Thank you

Share this comment

Is there anyone else having trouble downloading this file (the no DRM version)? I've got a 200Mbps connection which is working fine on all other sites. This file however will only download at 20kb/s, and fails multiple times.

Any alternative links???

Share this comment

1 minute ago, shevsh said:

Is there anyone else having trouble downloading this file? I've got a 200Mbps connection which is working fine on all other sites. This file however will only download at 20kb/s, and fails multiple times.

I had a really, really slow speed downloading it yesterday myself (about 70kbps). But it did complete. Not sure what's going on. I've got a 600Mbps fiber connection fyi.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Beavosaur said:

I had a really, really slow speed downloading it yesterday myself (about 70kbps). But it did complete. Not sure what's going on. I've got a 600Mbps fiber connection fyi.

Finally got it to complete at about the 10th time of asking. But at a speed of between 50-100kb/s, surely this can't be normal for this website?

Share this comment