kb2670838 and so on

Vorob

I’m on very specific topic here :)

In PC Gaming WIKI i read about problems with Red Faction Guerilla (http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Red_Faction:_Guerrilla):

“Some modern computers running in DirectX 10 mode may experience an issue with the Sun and other light sources being visible through the terrain and solid objectsâ€

And then there is a solution:

“The issue has also been reported to be permanently fixed by uninstalling the Windows update "kb2670838" to Internet Explorer 10â€

Guys, can you tell me more about this update? I don’t think ms intentionally broke smth, maybe these games were poorely written in the first place? 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838 for additional information

This is not an update to Internet Explorer btw. It's a requirement for IE, but uninstalling IE won't touch this

Then, it would be nice to understand what changes M$ did to Direct2D, DirectWrite and Direct3D.. but we are not on linux, and everything we can hope is some documentation to be released

The update is 5.6MB (x86) and 11MB (x64) big and can be downloaded here

I could extract something from it with 7-zip, but at a certain point I only have unintelligible files.. So I think you had better look on technet or msdn.microsoft websites

The platform update introduces various changes that can have some effects on gaming but removing it is not a good solution since it could break other games that need the changes it introduces and there are alternatives that don't require doing this. Uninstalling Windows updates is rarely the correct or ideal solution for a problem so generally shouldn't be covered on pages. I've removed this fix from the page.

The platform update introduces various changes that can have some effects on gaming but removing it is not a good solution since it could break other games that need the changes it introduces and there are alternatives that don't require doing this. Uninstalling Windows updates is rarely the correct or ideal solution for a problem so generally shouldn't be covered on pages. I've removed this fix from the page.

If no other workaround is known, including that fix should be preferable to an unresolved issue

Anyway, I just tried the game, both DX9 and DX10, without problems (KB2670838 installed, latest AMD drivers)

That steam discussion thread is 6 months old.. so the issue could have been fixed in the meantime

If no other workaround is known, including that fix should be preferable to an unresolved issue

Anyway, I just tried the game, both DX9 and DX10, without problems (KB2670838 installed, latest AMD drivers)

That steam discussion thread is 6 months old.. so the issue could have been fixed in the meantime

If there is no other fix, I'd recommend having a really large, serious, and scary note about how uninstalling Windows Updates WILL BREAK THINGS and will make you vulnerable to security problems, etc. Also that it could have unwanted negative effects on other games.

If there is no other fix, I'd recommend having a really large, serious, and scary note about how uninstalling Windows Updates WILL BREAK THINGS and will make you vulnerable to security problems, etc. Also that it could have unwanted negative effects on other games.

You send out such a pessimism!

First, that's not a security fix (and I think no security fix could actually break games compatibility)

Then uninstalling this specific update should simply revert windows dx10 dll back to the original version included in the CD.. it's not so ass-breaking

Anyway, microsoft fixed all the problems in september, so I think we could end our discussions here