Will Amd phenom II x6 1090T bottleneck R9 280X?

Dr.Duck

Im planing on getting a new GPU,very likely the new R9 280X. But dont know if my CPU will bottleneck the R9 280X?

My corrent specs are:

Cpu:Amd phenom ii x6 1090t (3,20 ghz)

GPU:GTX 560 (ASUS, non ti)

Ram:12 Gb

• 2 months later...

it depends on the game you are going to play

but generally speaking.. if you have 4 cores (at least 3GHz) you are OK with every game and for the next years

*cough* *cough* unless it's Athlon II X4 640 - which I have (which is one of two reasons, why I didn't even try to claim any of assignments). Phenom X6 1090T should do fine, however... I think.

*cough* *cough* unless it's Athlon II X4 640 - which I have (which is one of two reasons, why I didn't even try to claim any of assignments). Phenom X6 1090T should do fine, however... I think.

is it really this bad?

i would like to have it, instead of my crappy core 2 duo @3.2ghz which makes to lag gta4 (which aside of bf4 is the only CPU hungry game that comes to my mind)

is it really this bad?

i would like to have it, instead of my crappy core 2 duo @3.2ghz which makes to lag gta4 (which aside of bf4 is the only CPU hungry game that comes to my mind)

Well, I've seen videos of guys doing 38-60fps in the beta of BF4 with a graphics card I have (Radeon 7770). With average around 45 maybe 47. I've played that beta for a moment, updated my drivers and all - rarely I got it running over 37 and from what I've checked, a lot of people with that CPU had the same problem - it's just isn't good enough for BF4. Then again, my CPU seemed to have caused some serious framedrops in Tribes Ascend. If there is anything else that could be causing problems it's disk fragmentation, but I doubt that when problems started only when there was like 10 or more people on a server.

Well, I've seen videos of guys doing 38-60fps in the beta of BF4 with a graphics card I have (Radeon 7770). With average around 45 maybe 47. I've played that beta for a moment, updated my drivers and all - rarely I got it running over 37 and from what I've checked, a lot of people with that CPU had the same problem - it's just isn't good enough for BF4. Then again, my CPU seemed to have caused some serious framedrops in Tribes Ascend. If there is anything else that could be causing problems it's disk fragmentation, but I doubt that when problems started only when there was like 10 or more people on a server.

BF4 beta was the most bugged, fucked up, unfinished, pre-alpha i have ever seen

i got it to run only on the penultimate day (thanks to a patch which.. fixed a "normal" issue with dual core cpu that make crash the game during the loading)

and only then i find that with the minimum setting (everything turned off, on low, at 50% of 640x480) i did.. 20 poor fps

while a friend of mine with a FX-6300 overclocked to 4ghz (6 core) did maybe 35 fps before the last patch

i found this video which i think it's self explanatory

so, in the end, please don't think your CPU is weak because bf4 performed badly

i remember tribes ascend to perform good on my pc some time ago so... be happy :p

• 4 weeks later...