Single screen multi-player

Nicereddy

Single-Screen Multiplayer is neither good, since i successfully run left 4 dead 2 with an eyefinity setup

and i think i would need lot of space for the instructions

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a lot of work on the page, link for those of us who are lazy :P

I added a reference column, thinking about adding a Full Controller Support vs Controller Support section. Alternatively, I'd just need a "Middle" icon for partial controller support and wouldn't have to make a new column. This could be a controller with half green half red. Preferably, the divider would be diagonal like the Steam Partial Controller Support icon.

Partial Controller Support refers to games which are playable using a controller, but require a mouse/keyboard for settings, launching the game, etc. Full Controller Support is any game which allows for full control of all interfaces using only the controller, most games' Steam pages list one of these if they have controller support.

Suggestion for new title, I'd like thoughts on how this sounds: List of Couch Multiplayer PC Games

Couch co-op is a very common term for games which allow for single device multiplayer, but potentially implies that the list wouldn't include games which are "versus". Multiplayer feels like a better term for the goal of the list.

I find this to be much better than any alternative previously listed.

Suggestion for new title, I'd like thoughts on how this sounds: List of Couch Multiplayer PC Games

Couch co-op is a very common term for games which allow for single device multiplayer, but potentially implies that the list wouldn't include games which are "versus". Multiplayer feels like a better term for the goal of the list.

I find this to be much better than any alternative previously listed.

imho, couch isn't so much a common term for single device multiplayer

single-(device/pc/station/terminal), side by side.. seem better options to me

Side-by-side can be misconstrued as LAN, I think. Unfortunately there's no perfect name for the project due to the specificity of it. Single-Device works, but I don't think it sounds as nice as Couch Multiplayer.

I don't like the term 'couch' as it implies that it's a console-type experience in front of a TV- reality is that with a PC it can be played in many situations, e.g. crowded around a laptop or a desktop.

Local can definitely imply LAN play and co-op would also have to be avoided since that excludes competitive games. Split-screen conflicts with shared-screen and hotseat implementations. Couch doesn't really mean anything in this context. The end result would be something like The Big List of Single-Screen Multiplayer Games (or Same-Screen?); Single-PC/Same-PC is also an option but I don't think that sounds as good.

I'm beginning to think that 'Local' is better than 'Single-screen'.

'Local' as the opposite of 'Online' multiplayer.

'Local' is also understood by most people to be different from 'Local area network (LAN)' multiplayer.

I suppose local is the most commonly used term, but it also has some ambiguity we'd need to clarify immediately for anyone viewing the page.

I'm fine with it being renamed to that, as I can definitely see the downside to Couch Multiplayer.

I still like Couch co-op. It brings to mind the feeling of sitting on a couch, with everyone gaming on a single screen. 

Same Screen Multiplayer conveys the same thing, just in more boring terms. 

Despite newmansman's agreement with me, I will concede that local multiplayer is probably the better term and have therefore changed the article title. If there's no further discussion to be had on this topic I'll lock this thread in a few days.

• 5 weeks later...

I like the idea of having information about multiplayer listed for each game, perhaps done similarly to the way that the various Settings tables are currently done. What type of multiplayer is included or not included could obviously be listed, such as offline, online, LAN, and mixed where you can play online with multiple local players. You could also include information about whether each type of multiplayer supports competitive or cooperative modes, and if the local multiplayer is split-screen or shared-screen. Overall I think this would make a good addition.

EDIT: By the way, is it appropriate for me to be posting here? I just realized that everyone in this thread is either a moderator or administrator.

I like the idea of having information about multiplayer listed for each game, perhaps done similarly to the way that the various Settings tables are currently done. What type of multiplayer is included or not included could obviously be listed, such as offline, online, LAN, and mixed where you can play online with multiple local players. You could also include information about whether each type of multiplayer supports competitive or cooperative modes, and if the local multiplayer is split-screen or shared-screen. Overall I think this would make a good addition.

EDIT: By the way, is it appropriate for me to be posting here? I just realized that everyone in this thread is either a moderator or administrator.

ahah yeah, posting here it's fine

there are only admin and mods because other users are pretty shy :p

anyway, the list is already online here

It's perfectly fine to post anywhere on the forum whether or not you're an administrator/moderator, so feel free :D

Soeb created a thread on this topic a few weeks ago, although as of yet it hasn't gone very far. See here.

• Found PCGamingWiki useful? Please consider making a Donation or visiting our Patreon.
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 431 Guests (See full list)