MIDI support: add new parameter into Audio template

ara1307

• 1 month later...

I had a similar idea a while back and made a mock-up. I don't know MW enough to convert it into a proper template, though. 
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:SirYodaJedi/Music_Templates_concept#Midi

I already document this type of information on the page using this type of format; search the wiki for instances of "General MIDI" and "MT-32" for such examples that I've did. I deviate a little bit from the mock-up I posted, adding additional information like which MT-32 version it's designed for.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:45 PM, SirYodaJedi said:

I had a similar idea a while back and made a mock-up. I don't know MW enough to convert it into a proper template, though. 
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/User:SirYodaJedi/Music_Templates_concept#Midi

I already document this type of information on the page using this type of format; search the wiki for instances of "General MIDI" and "MT-32" for such examples that I've did. I deviate a little bit from the mock-up I posted, adding additional information like which MT-32 version it's designed for.

Frankly, given we already document Redbook CD audio for old games, I'm surprised we don't already have this - especially with, as someone who doesn't understand the backend of MW, a potentially-elegant solution such as what you've already proposed.

Though if it were to make it onto the page, don't forget that General MIDI merely standardized the instruments, instrument banks, and their ordering. MIDI is a general term for storing musical information as data - so pre-General MIDI, it was the American Wild West in terms of device support. Yes, the MT-32 became the main device used pre-General MIDI since it just so happened to be the most appealing combination of quality and price consumers had back then, but there were a few games which offered support for other MIDI devices. Thankfully, that's easily-covered by "other" and a mandatory note.

But then we get into the 'fun' minefield of what is, in hindsight, errata, like whether a game's General MIDI support requires a MPU-401-compliant MIDI device (the Intelligent MPU-401 is a Roland interface device and standard for MIDI data transmissions, before and during General MIDI). That can be got around nowadays either by using DOSBox - that's what its "intelligent" MIDI mode does - or using software like SoftMPU on real hardware.

Don't know if we want to get into the errata or not, but I thought I'd bring it up since those more knowledgeable with MIDI would.

4 hours ago, Expack3 said:

Frankly, given we already document Redbook CD audio for old games, I'm surprised we don't already have this.

If you read through that CD music thread you can see I asked for it for almost 2 years until it was done. It is only been a year since it has been available.

1 hour ago, Antrad said:

If you read through that CD music thread you can see I asked for it for almost 2 years until it was done. It is only been a year since it has been available.

That's good to know...and distressing considering how big a deal Redbook audio was for awhile in PC gaming (not to mention CD-ROM gaming as a whole). While I'm sadly just one person on the PCGW staff, hopefully a MIDI support parameter (aka row) could be added much sooner.

{{Audio
|separate volume           = 
|separate volume notes     = 
|surround sound            = 
|surround sound notes      = 
|subtitles                 = 
|subtitles notes           = 
|closed captions           = 
|closed captions notes     = 
|mute on focus lost        = 
|mute on focus lost notes  = 
|eax support               = 
|eax support notes         = 
|red book cd audio         = 
|red book cd audio notes   = 
|general midi audio        = 
|general midi audio notes  = 
}}

General MIDI row/parameters has now been added to the Audio template.