gahomesaver.com is a clone of PC Gaming Wiki, is this thing legit?

Zweihander2020

I found this website, gahomesaver.com that looks and functions like an exact copy of PCGamingWiki. Is this website at all affiliated with PCGamingWiki? I am concerned that it might be malicious since it might be trying to deceive someone.

No, it's not affiliated. From the looks of things, they seem to be proxying traffic to the real site anyway, as a change on PCGW appeared in an instant on that mirror site. They're also injecting custom code into the site, as evidenced by the ads and stereotypical torrent / comments links they're adding to the very bottom of the webpage.

@snuxoll, any ideas on how to prevent this sort of proxying from happening? Or is the only approach a wack-a-mole one where we determine their IP through the traffic logs and ban said IP?

Hopefully it's doing nothing except proxying to the real site with custom ads displayed. It rubs me the wrong way they are basically profiteering off of a wiki. On the other hand, I am concerned about the intentions behind whomever is behind the site, since the traffic to the site is unsecured/unecrypted. I tried to dig up some info on the host and people behind the domain, but I got nothing asides from the fact that this site was created on January 11  2020.

By the way, I'm usually just a guy browsing the wiki, and made this account just to report this. Is there anyway to deactivate or delete my account after this is resolved?

image.png

In the immediate term I’ve blacklisted the IPs at the CloudFlare level, they don’t seem to be very intelligent and if they decide to keep IP hopping I can automate the blocking easily. I am recording the backend addresses and will be submitting abuse complaints to the appropriate service providers if they persist as well.

In an abundance of caution and because the time is overdue I am disabling native authentication on both the wiki and community site to prevent credential theft attacks. I can't directly protect against somebody proxying the SSO domain, but the SSO service will *not* hand out authentication tokens to non-PCGW domains. I will be adding links to the SSO account management to appropriate locations tonight and I advise all users to setup 2FA for their accounts.