Electronic Arts returning to Steam, beginning with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

AnotherGills

EASTEAM.thumb.jpg.896226321d9620fff0e51ff700a53bb5.jpg

Since 2013, Electronic Arts has refrained from releasing their titles on Steam, with franchises such as Battlefield and Titanfall releasing exclusively on their own digital download platform Origin.

This development was predicted days prior. Twitter user RobotBrush found EA had made an update on a test app on October 16th.

RobotBrushfinding.jpg.b4229d349c5948e4f74acf9eb1e9e47e.jpg

Afterwards, EA's official Twitter profile posted a video of a mug branded with the EA logo, with steam emerging from the top.

Yesterday, EA officially broke the news on their blog:

"Electronic Arts and Valve have partnered to put EA games into the hands of the players on Steam. Starting next spring, EA Access—our ever-growing subscription service powered by great games and member benefits—will be making its way to Steam. EA Access is the first and only gaming subscription service available on Steam, and the fourth platform featuring an EA subscription.

The partnership kicks off with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™ launching on November 15—and available for pre-order today. In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

A library of titles awaits you in The Vault, but beyond the games themselves, EA Access enhances your gaming experience with a medley of rewards. Get the red-carpet treatment with exclusive catalog-wide discounts, and in-game member benefits for some of our biggest franchises.

Keep an eye out for more news and updates on this partnership in the coming weeks and months!"

Along with the upcoming releases, EA will also release their EA Access subscription service on Steam. There is no announcement in regards to the EA Access game lineup, and how it will differ from EA's Origin Access subscription service.

Currently, the only game listed on Steam is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, available for pre-order. The store listing implies that the Origin client will still be required for playing EA's new titles on Steam.

JFO.jpg.f8b0ec9c7e130bac36e5fa1e0c3f7f79.jpg

Has Origin kept you from purchasing EA's titles? If so, will you be picking up EA games now that they have returned to Steam?

I'm not hot on any subscription services, and I think Microsoft already has theirs on steam do they not? I would like to sync my games between Steam and Origin though, especially my older titles.

I wonder if EA will start opening up it's back catalog and making these games compatible with modern operating systems since SafeDisc support has been patched out of Vista/7/8/8.1 and never existed in 10. I own a huge amount of EA's back catalog and I'd really love it if they did this. My expectations are low though many publishers on steam never bother, and XP only games on steam are still available for purchase and they can't be played.

4 hours ago, RoyBatty said:

I'm not hot on any subscription services, and I think Microsoft already has theirs on steam do they not? I would like to sync my games between Steam and Origin though, especially my older titles.

I wonder if EA will start opening up it's back catalog and making these games compatible with modern operating systems since SafeDisc support has been patched out of Vista/7/8/8.1 and never existed in 10. I own a huge amount of EA's back catalog and I'd really love it if they did this. My expectations are low though many publishers on steam never bother, and XP only games on steam are still available for purchase and they can't be played.

Currently, Microsoft's Game Pass subscription service is not available on Steam.

EA has been releasing games on GOG, and compatible with modern operating systems. I am not sure how that transfers over with their Origin releases.