Proposal: Remove "settings" from Video/Input/Audio headers

Aemony

As part of the overhaul of the editing guide, and the first attempt of drafting unified terminology to refer to "feature rows" in tables, it's made more and more clear that calling the sections for "Video settings", "Input settings", as well as "Audio settings" can be a bit limiting, and misinform new editors as well as readers that the rows covered in such a section only relates to the presence of settings, and not support or otherwise (which we try to incorporate more and more with the recent additions such as the limited and always on states).

Compare the two alternatives to one another as an example, in relation to the subsections they include as well:

Current:

• Essential improvements
    • Skip intro videos
  • Game data
    • Configuration file(s) location
    • Save game data location
    • Save game cloud syncing
  • Video settings
    • Borderless fullscreen windowed
    • Ultra-widescreen
    • Anti-aliasing (AA)
    • High frame rate
    • Refresh rate (Hz)
    • Ambient occlusion (AO)
    • Bloom
    • Global illumination
  • Input settings
    • DualShock button prompts
  • Audio settings
    • Localizations
  • VR support
  • Issues unresolved

Proposed:

• Essential improvements
    • Skip intro videos
  • Game data
    • Configuration file(s) location
    • Save game data location
    • Save game cloud syncing
  • Video
    • Borderless fullscreen windowed
    • Ultra-widescreen
    • Anti-aliasing (AA)
    • High frame rate
    • Refresh rate (Hz)
    • Ambient occlusion (AO)
    • Bloom
    • Global illumination
  • Input
    • DualShock button prompts
  • Audio
    • Localizations
  • VR support
  • Issues unresolved

I don't think anything of importance is lost by removing "settings" from the section headers.

Side question: should "support" be removed from the "VR support" header as well?

I'd be in favour of this for the reasons you've outlined.

@Andytizer If this change happens it would probably make sense to add "settings" to the site tagline in some way to aid incoming searches using that specific keyword.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:32 PM, Aemony said:

Side question: should "support" be removed from the "VR support" header as well?

Yes this would make sense as well for the same reasons (it would also be a good idea to revisit other aspects of the VR template, but that's a subject for a separate topic).

On 6/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, Aemony said:

Oh, this would also mean we can actually label our templates and cargo tables for "Audio", "Video", "Input" as well.

Cargo table names do not have to match the associated templates (see Special:CargoTables for several examples).

This looks great - in the beginning I intentionally labelled them 'Settings' but this was shortsighted. I think the change looks good and happy for it to be implemented.

I'll open a new thread about Site title and Tagline.

• 10 months later...

Just to reiterate I'm happy for this to go ahead if anyone would like to make the change. I wonder if there's a batch way of doing this?

If there's the possibility of tying the original h2 anchor links to the templates then that means that those anchor links won't break.

VR support - I'd be happy for this to stay the same, or to be renamed simply 'Virtual reality'.

Video/audio/input "and nothing" seems just so anonymous.

I don't even mind "settings" to stick then to be honest, but at least if you have to remove it have something like "features" in its place.

Putting even aside that I don't think stuff like AO, bloom and illumination should go in video settings... or at least not without some unholy revamp.

I have renamed Video, Input, and Audio and updated the documentation etc. where applicable. Existing links to the old section names within and between pages will continue working normally.

I have not changed VR support at this time; it is probably due for an overhaul anyway to clear up/split stereoscopic 3D vs actual VR headsets (but that's a separate topic).

Note that I have not renamed the Cargo tables at this time because there are some other things to change or finalise there as well such as the CD audio row. Cargo table naming doesn't have to match the actual template name and is mostly invisible, so this isn't a big deal.

11 hours ago, Mirh said:

Video/audio/input "and nothing" seems just so anonymous.

I don't even mind "settings" to stick then to be honest, but at least if you have to remove it have something like "features" in its place.

Using the term without any additional words brings it into line with other sections like Availability and Network (with VR support being the exception as I mentioned above). "Features" would also not be the most applicable term for some of the rows (e.g. "touchscreen optimized").

11 hours ago, Mirh said:

Putting even aside that I don't think stuff like AO, bloom and illumination should go in video settings... or at least not without some unholy revamp.

Video settings is almost too long already, so it would make more sense to introduce an additional table for less universal features rather than bloating the main one. Some time ago I made a working example of this. This is definitely something to revisit (in a separate topic), particularly with things like ray tracing becoming more common in the near future.

3 hours ago, Garrett said:

I have renamed Video, Input, and Audio and updated the documentation etc. where applicable. Existing links to the old section names within and between pages will continue working normally.

I have not changed VR support at this time; it is probably due for an overhaul anyway to clear up/split stereoscopic 3D vs actual VR headsets (but that's a separate topic).

Note that I have not renamed the Cargo tables at this time because there are some other things to change or finalise there as well such as the CD audio row. Cargo table naming doesn't have to match the actual template name and is mostly invisible, so this isn't a big deal.

Using the term without any additional words brings it into line with other sections like Availability and Network (with VR support being the exception as I mentioned above). "Features" would also not be the most applicable term for some of the rows (e.g. "touchscreen optimized").

Video settings is almost too long already, so it would make more sense to introduce an additional table for less universal features rather than bloating the main one. Some time ago I made a working example of this. This is definitely something to revisit (in a separate topic), particularly with things like ray tracing becoming more common in the near future.

Looks excellent, many thanks for executing this.

It looks like it's time to open a new thread about advanced video settings - from my perspective it all looks good to implement as well. I might add ambient occlusion as it's something people sometimes hate having in games.