DOS game OS categorisation

Garrett

How should DOS games be categorised?

Categorised under Windows, Mac and Linux since DOSBox lets these games run on all of them? Categorised only if there is a modern package for that platform (e.g. on GOG.com)? Something else?

This is a good point. I think we should maybe add a DOS section, because PC/Mac/Linux are meant to be only for games that have native versions at the minute. e.g. a Windows game that can be played through WINE on Mac/Linux should not be in those categories under our current remit.

Unless we decide to rethink our category system that is?

/me nudges Andy

I am happy to expand all of our categories tom include DOS and other operating systems as necessary.

I was hoping to get a more holistic approach to getting all new categories put in, and to have these built into our templates.

For example, having 'Steam' in our availability table could also include the Steam category. We could include all stores and unlocks like GamersGate, Greenmangaming, Amazon.com, etc. I'm not exactly sure where to draw the line.

There's also the suggestion to include issues unresolved as a category as well (built into a new Fixbox template).

Interested in hearing what you guys think about how many categories we should have.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, DOS needs to be mentioned. Not only are there endless DOS games, but their age and differences in technology mean there's a great need for fixes of those games.

I am happy to expand all of our categories tom include DOS and other operating systems as necessary.

I was hoping to get a more holistic approach to getting all new categories put in, and to have these built into our templates.

For example, having 'Steam' in our availability table could also include the Steam category. We could include all stores and unlocks like GamersGate, Greenmangaming, Amazon.com, etc. I'm not exactly sure where to draw the line.

There's also the suggestion to include issues unresolved as a category as well (built into a new Fixbox template).

Interested in hearing what you guys think about how many categories we should have.

I do like these ideas, and I do think anything that draws a little attention to unresolved issues is helpful. I just wonder, overall, what is the use of having excessive store categories? I think having a "Games available on Amazon.com" list is a bit ridiculous, but I think having the page note that the game is sold there is useful. At the moment, I consider Steam an exception because of it's size and influence, and it deserves notice here because it isn't just a store. It also provides a community and unique features to games that make it worth noting. I don't think it should be a category of games sold on Steam (would you really want a listing of every game sold on Steam here?), it should be a list of games that make use of Steam features.

Perhaps part of the issue could be resolved by putting a switch into the Infobox template and just have that automatically add categories to the page for operating systems? Another line could be included that would list those OSs depending on availability, although I have no idea how a DOS game would be then solved, as DOS right now means all the systems, but shouldn't be listed under anything other than either DOS or the systems it was officially re-released for with the usage of DOSbox or another emulator..

Personally i feel like there should be as many categories as possible (without going too far of having twenty per page), even going as far as the year of release and the status of the game.

I think having too many categories would be very messy, and becomes a bit too confusing for editors after awhile. The year of release isn't all that important to playing, buy, or enjoying the game. The status would really only matter to online games. I suppose support status could be mentioned, but that would take a lot of work on the editor's part. For some games, I can see it being useful to say "the company no longer supports this game." I mean, providing additional support beyond the company's support is why we're here...

It's just easy to assume an old game is unsupported. I assumed Majesty was unsupported since it was very old and not that popular to begin with. About 13 years later, not only are the developers still providing support, but they re-released a a fixed version of the game.

-----

Now I do think a defunct MMO category (in different words) would be helpful in some cases...