Welcome to the upgraded PCGamingWiki forums and files page. The current Wiki and Forum bridge is not functioning at the moment, therefore your Forum account currently has no password set. Please reset your Forum password via email check to generate a new password. If you have any issues please message Andytizer on Discord.

Manticore

Windows 10 Threshold 2 - games crash

I've recently updated my Windows 10 to Threshold Wave 2 and noticed that some games started to behave weirdly. Here's what I've noticed so far (I didn't have any of these problems before the update):

1. I can't run Colin McRae Rally 2.0 using dgVoodoo 2. The game crashes before it even displays the title screen. I can run some other games using the wrapper (like Midtown Madness 2, Driver and King of the Road).

2. I can't change graphics settings in NFS Underground 2, Most Wanted 2005 and ProStreet. If I try to change certain options from within the games, they freeze and have to be killed manually. So far I've found that running MW and PS on Intel GPU rather than on Nvidia solves the problem, also applying DXMaximizedWindowedMode compatibility fix does the trick. This doesn't work with Underground 2 however.

3. Test Drive Unlimited 2 refuses to read my saved game. When I delete my save, TDU2 starts normally. I can also restore a previous save from a backup and the game also works, at least for some time. Also when I try to change graphics settings, the game freezes, just like NFS games mentioned above.

4. Running these games as an administrator doesn't change anything. I've also tried to change privileges of registry keys which NFS games use to store graphics settings, also without result.

5. Wiping out Nvidia drivers with DDU and downgrading them also doesn't work.

6. I've checked NFSMW on my finance's laptop, which uses Radeon GPU and the problem doesn't exist there.

Can you help me? These issues are driving me nuts, and I'm starting to think that reinstalling Windows may be the only answer.

My system:

Lenovo y510p

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel HD4600 / GT755M

8 GB RAM

I honestly don't know, I don't think many users here have Windows 10 yet, you could try to reformat and all that but I have no idea if doing so will solve any issues.

See if backing up, and then erasing the configuration settings for these games works.

The SilentPatch was already installed.

I did the analysis with Process Monitor while running NFS Most Wanted Underground 2 (sorry, my mistake) and I've got a lot of "buffer overflow" type of entries. The first one is an operation QueryNameInformationFile and in the Patch column there is the game's main executable (speed2.exe). Then there's a lot of entries leading to various dlls C:\Windows\SysWOW64 catalog, including what appears to be Nvidia driver files, winmmbase.dll, deviceaccess.dll, and some DX9 libraries. I can post a full log here if you want.

It's not like it would be bad if could start by removing all those mods.

I can see sweetfx and the bloody stupid japanese force feedback driver. Try to remove it.

Already did that, the clean game also crashes.

EDIT: OK, now this is getting weird. I can't change graphics settings in ANY game. They freeze just like the ones mentioned above.

I use dgVoodoo because Nvidia Optimus doesn't work properly on Windows 10 with older games (the ones that use DX1-8). You can't force the games to run on Nvidia GPU unless you use wrappers.

But that's not the point. Judging by Process Monitor, CMR2 not launching on dgVoodoo (thus on GT755M) is exactly the same problem as inability to change graphics settings in newer games. The program shows a lot of Buffer Overflows errors which lead to files in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Here's a log I've just made while running NFS MW (the one I posted above was actually from Underground 2, sorry for the mess).https://mega.nz/#!x8lniRoS!P6BCJ2aLrNJj9wA2huhDFtddJMl6Bi8ygYNWFt7-28k

I've just uninstalled the driver (including installing .inf files from xi.etc.zip) and still it didn't change anything. Is it possible that there are still some files left?

By the way, last night I've reset my Windows 10 to factory state. The games were running fine for some time, but now the problem is back! I don't know what happened, I've only installed the games and GPU drivers.

Check if the stupid xi.dll is still loaded.

And there must be something wrong with your filters in pm if I can't see any game resources being saved or loaded in the logs.

I've checked the xi.dll and the games don't load it, so it's been removed for sure.

As for the filters, I use only default ones + a custom filter which includes only records related to the game's executable.

I've also made a test with NFSMW. I've tried to change resolution and it freezed as usual. Then I looked at the Process Monitor and here's what I found:

The game saves its graphics settings in HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted. Resolution setting is saved in g_RacingResolution value. There are two records in the whole log where the game uses this value, I assume the first one was created when I launched the game and the second one when I tried to change the resolution. Both records are marked as "SUCCESS".

EDIT: I've checked Windows log for CMR2.0. The problem with this game is caused by kernelbase.dll.  The game works with the latest WIP version of dgVoodoo 2.

.-. Of course the game saves there if you aren't running it as administrator.

You always should when HKLM or program files folder are involved. 

Don't you think I tried running the game as administrator? I did, but it didn't fix the problem.

A new fact: the problem with freezing only occurs when the game is running in full screen mode. When it's running in a window, I can change the graphics settings without any problem.

Don't you think I tried running the game as administrator? I did, but it didn't fix the problem.

I read what you wrote.

But then it doesn't make sense the game is using the virtualstore fallback.

What if you delete it?

My bad, I should have been more specific.

When I delete the key nothing changes, I still get the freeze.

And by the way, WineD3D libraries don't work either. The games crash immediately after start if I try to force them to use Wine libraries.

... Except my laptop isn't even compatible with Shadowplay... and the services are disabled (NVIDIA Network Service, NVIDIA Streamer Network Service and NVIDIA Streamer Service). So what now?

100% sure. I even disabled NVIDIA Display Driver Service and NVIDIA GeForce Experience Service, and that freeze still happens :(

EDIT: OK, maybe this will help a little. I've made two different logs when running NFS Most Wanted. One of them was made when the game freezed, the other when I run the game through MS Application Compatibility Toolkit with DXMaximizedWindowedMode enabled (this fixes the freeze, but not in every game): https://mega.nz/#!pg1QCD7D!Dm0sFgCfaL3Vx4OGOa4-Zz-8js7BO4IW26XktB2iALo

It indeed was loaded, but after I've changed the name of the dll so that it doesn't load, the game still freezes. So I guess Shadowplay is not to blame after all...

EDIT: I've noticed that this problem affects only games which use DirectX 9. Any older game (DX 8 and below, 3dfx through nGlide) or newer (DX10, 11) is OK.

Wait wait wait. You don't change names to dlls, just because.

I think you should pinpoint whatever is going on to have a clue.

For example, try to uninstall the whole geforce experience as suggested here

Or hell, uninstall every kind of software related to nvidia and only reinstall the bare raw strictly indispensable minimum (ie drivers).

Removed Nvidia drivers with DDU. Deleted every Nvidia related folder from C:\. Installed only the 355.98 driver, without PhysX or GF Experience. Games still freeze.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/898690/geforce-drivers/windows-10-playback-freezing-in-fullscreen-video-modern-ui-apps-drivers-at-fault-/

This guy has a similar problem, only with Modern Apps running full screen rather than games. I'm starting to think that MS simply screwed something up with the November Update...

OK, I've found something. There's a neat tool in Windows called Event Viewer. Now please excuse me as I have Polish Windows, so my translation may not be accurate.

Anyway, the same moment the game freezed, an event appeared in the Event Viewer under System section. I've attached a screenshot below. Please don't ask me to translate this, because this sentence was clearly written by a monkey, not a Polish person - the language is so broken that I, a native speaker, can't understand it. The message says something about lack of privileges for user ZARZÄ„DZANIE NT\SYSTEM (user ID: S-1-5-18) for CLSID {D63.... etc}. It also says that this can be modified by MS Management Console.

So this wasn't driver issue after all, this has something to do with privileges. Now the question is - how the heck do I fix this?

post-1780-0-72773500-1448313417.jpg

TL;DR: Reformat and check if these issues still persist just in case, use GameSave Manager to backup any save games. Don't install GeForce experience yet. If the issues are there, maybe revert to a previous version of Windows 10 or keep doing what Mirh wants you to do.

(I need to stop rambling, but it does kinda help to be honest, it sucks for anyone who sees these threads though, seeing as they have to sit through all of this crap)

You didn't reformat yet? That seemed like the easiest solution to me. Then you could just reinstall any drivers you need and the games you had and test them again.

Maybe if I was actually there I could figure out what was going on, but you might as well just start fresh. I still didn't get an update for this anyway, I guess I need to get a separate ISO for it?

I think you are kinda wasting your time with this stuff. If you still wish to reformat then do this, download whatever Nvidia drivers you think were the most stable, then install Physx and the video driver only, uncheck anything else for now, no 3D stuff (unless you really need it?), GeForce Experience and so on.

Only install the absolute necessary. You can use GameSave Manager to backup all your savegames, it saved me some pain. If you have a PS3 controller stop using MotioninJoy, follow this guide instead.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/PS3_Controller

If things still don't work right, then revert back to a previous version of Windows 10 if you can. Realistically, I doubt you'll be able to solve these issues if they are being caused by the OS itself. You might find some workarounds but, things will always feel off anyway, might as well just save you some of your time.

I'm not saying you should give up, but I'm sure you'd rather be playing the games again as quickly as you can.

Oh and, do you know if anyone filed any bug reports, (similar to the issues you are having) on the Windows 10 bug tracker? Maybe someone figured out how to solve this already. Sorry, kinda sleepy.

Guess what.

I've fresh installed Windows 10 TH2. The first time I started NFSMW, it let me save the settings. The second time, it freezed.

Just great.

Guess what.

I've fresh installed Windows 10 TH2. The first time I started NFSMW, it let me save the settings. The second time, it freezed.

Just great.

It looks like they may have fucked it up, so it's not really your fault.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/windows-10-november-update-mysteriously-pulled-as-concerns-about-bugs-grow/

Can you go back to build 10240?

I can... By reinstalling the system :/ and it seems that's what I'll have to do. I wish I could go back to Windows 8.1, but it's long past the one month MS gave us to make up our minds.

OK, I've installed 10240. Works perfectly. I wonder when MS decides to force TH2 down our throats. I hope by that time they'll fix this shitload of f**k.

Anyway, big thanks for your help and patience, guys. Case closed, gonna go play some Need for Speed now.

EDIT: The November Update just installed itself again. And the error is back. Great.

I don't remember what I did but I never even got this update, anyway what version of Windows are you on? (Home, Enterprise, that stuff) You should probably look up if you can stop Windows from downloading it somehow.

Oh, don't worry, it'll come to you. Not everyone has received this update yet.

I'm on Home version so I have no control over what updates I want to install. There is however an option to return to a previous compilation, fortunately.

Once Nvidia updates their drivers, I'll try 1511 again.

Wait wait wait, we are not here for lousy workarounds.

We are here for fixes. And in the case we ain't them.. well, at least we pinpoint the cause.

There should be no special bug in 1511

D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160 and 9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276 are known offenders though, you are right.

If you search for those class Identifier you see plenties of problems with those (even under w8.1)

It's weird this would be triggered by these old games though :s

I did everything described in the link you gave me (I've figured it out myself before), but after I did all this, the freeze still occured. Unless I was doing something wrong, but I don't think so...

I may try it again when I have some spare time though.

I did everything described in the link you gave me (I've figured it out myself before), but after I did all this, the freeze still occured. Unless I was doing something wrong, but I don't think so...

I may try it again when I have some spare time though.

I only told you to revert seeing as I don't really see the point in you wasting more of your time on something as pontless as this, I doubt this will happen anymore if you ever get a proper desktop computer anyway. It just seems like a hardware issue more than anything so, meh, I wouldn't stress it too badly, but I'm honestly just trying to respect your time seeing as I don't think everyone should have to waste their time with this crap just to play some videogames.

You should be able to disable Windows Update through the Services screen.

http://i.imgur.com/wx2e1gz.png

Did you try asking on Reddit for some help? Maybe other Lenovo users can give some suggestions.